Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pyschology Clearance Issue

Morning all :)

So I'm having an issue with my psychology clearance. I met with the shrink for all of 12 minutes and paid my $50 copay. No big deal, it had to happen. He told me there would be a small fee for him preparing the report. At the time I thought that was odd, but hey, a small fee I was thinking like $10 so whatever.

However, his office just called me to tell me that he had prepared the report for my surgeon over the weekend and they wouldn't fax it to then until I had paid the $60 fee for him preparing the report. This doesn't seem right. He has to prepare that report to put in my chart anyway, so basically they want me to pay $60 additional dollars for them to fax it?

Does this seem reasonable?

I have a copy in my hand.. I'm thinking about calling and stopping payment on the report.

Did you guys encounter anything like this?

Morning all :)

So I'm having an issue with my psychology clearance. I met with the shrink for all of 12 minutes and paid my $50 copay. No big deal, it had to happen. He told me there would be a small fee for him preparing the report. At the time I thought that was odd, but hey, a small fee I was thinking like $10 so whatever.

However, his office just called me to tell me that he had prepared the report for my surgeon over the weekend and they wouldn't fax it to then until I had paid the $60 fee for him preparing the report. This doesn't seem right. He has to prepare that report to put in my chart anyway, so basically they want me to pay $60 additional dollars for them to fax it?

Does this seem reasonable?

I have a copy in my hand.. I'm thinking about calling and stopping payment on the report.

Did you guys encounter anything like this?

Question will your surgeon take your copy?

Are you paying for the fax or for the prep of the report?

Will it cost less if they mail it?

I paid a $100 dollars for my visit because the insurance takes to long to pay. And I didn't need to see the doctor again so it was worth it. And he faxed the approval package to the sugreon without the extra cost.

I will going back to him because I need to start over because I didn't get all my aproval with in the timelimit of the insurance.

No, this sounds absolutely UNresonable and sure makes it seem like the Dr is taking advantage of you and gaming the system, a full evaluation CANNOT be done in 12 minutes. I'd pay it and then AFTER the approval for surgery is granted complain like hell about this doctor and his practice. Why PAY THEN complain - to make sure you get approval and that this "doc" doesn't throw a monkey wrench into the works and try and stop you from obtaining clearance.

Sorry to sound so crass but if the situation is what you have explained it as then this is a gross misuse of authority - JMHO

I paid the money, the surgeon has a copy they faxed. I have a copy. You make a good suggestion about waiting until after approval, but I'm going to take that a step further and make it after surgery. I'm very upset and do feel taken advantage of. For the $110 it cost me, I should have at least laid down on the little uncomfortable couch.

I'd say that is a small fee. I work for an insurance company and that seems in line with what I see. Have you called to see if your insurance will cover it?

I'd say that is a small fee. I work for an insurance company and that seems in line with what I see. Have you called to see if your insurance will cover it?

My insurance has paid their portion, I paid my copay. Then on top of that came the seperate $60 fee for preparing the report.

I paid $225 for my psych to write and fax the letter. My regular visits cost 150$ out of pocket. I'll take your $60 bill any day. ;0/. In the longrun it's nothing if it meant the insurance to approve covering my surgery. :0)

Hi, I am having my surgery in 9 days, so I am getting nervous! Any way the psychologist that I had to see charged 150.00 cash, he wouldn't take any insurance. Yes a lot of money for me, but that was the only money I have to put out. I believe my insurance covers everything, so thank God. But see if your Dr. Will take your copy, hopefully he will, but even if he doesn't, don't let this stop you from continuing your journey. As I say just another hurdle to get over!!!! Hang in there. Carole

I had three different appointments. Each with a $50.00 copay. But no charge for my report.

I paid $50 for my psychiatrist to prepare the report. I asked him if he could just charge my insurance an extra half hour or something and he said that the insurance company would not pay it.

My insurance company paid for the visit because I was due to see my psychiatrist anyway to get my meds refilled. I paid the $10 copay for the office visit and the $50 fee that the psychiatrist charged me to prepare and fax the letter. So, $60 out of pocket seems reasonable to me.

I have my psych evaluation this Saturday. My insurance doesn't cover that so I will be paying $250. I'd just swallow this. It's one of the last rich things you will have to swallow ;;)

My quack visit was not covered by my insurance. I paid $275 for the visit. I also have a $200 fee for the 2 hour nutritional visit. These are small out of pockets expenses considering the cost of the surgery.

Yes, be glad you have insurance to cover the surgery. I had to pay for the psych eval when I was going for surgery for the band because the surgeon wanted it, even though I was paying for the surgery out of pocket.

I didn't have to have one to have the band removed though!