Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, who watched a video of an actual VSG procedure before getting sleeved?

I am curious to see who watched a video of an actual VSG before you had the procedure?

I am a nursing student & have had one surgery prior to this when I had my gallbladder out 10 years ago. I wasn't afraid of surgery & the procedure went fine. Since then, I have been in the OR a few times in nursing school & have seen open heart surgery while I was 2 ft from the patient's open chest. Now that I am (hopefully) getting the VSG, I found myself feeling nervous about the procedure in a way I had not before. I went back and forth with the idea of watching a video of the procedure to take the mystery away. We fear the unknown & all that :) I finally decided to watch one last night & I am SO GLAD that I did. I already feel better!

AM I NUTS!? The consensus among my friends was to NOT watch it. They all thought it would be scarier. What do you guys think??

I watched the procedure on you tube as well. It also made me feel pretty good about getting it done. I guess because the procedure is closed and laproscopic, it seemed like no big deal to me. I think it would have been harder to watch if it were open and you saw blood and guts on an open table, but this is all done internally so it seem ok to me. I was glad I watched it. And I'm not a nursing student nor do I have any medical training or background at all.

I watched it once without the narrative and then went on youtube and found one narrated. I have probably watched it 6 times total. I was fascinated. I can't wait for mine in November. I feel so much better informed now that I know what exactly what is being done.

While researching the surgery, I have watched a number of videos online. Some have been illustrations of the surgery, but most have been actual footage from surgeries. I feel more prepared for having watched them. I feel as though I have a more comprehensive idea of just what it is that I am considering having a surgeon do to my body. I feel as though WLS is not something that I should enter into lightly. It's a big decision for me. I'm basically asking a surgeon to do a partial amputation of an otherwise properly functioning organ.

Also, I have no qualms with watching graphic videos. I enjoy surgery and ER related shows, plus I watch odd things online, so I'm not terribly squeamish.

I watch the most recent ones all the time and I gave them permission to film mine, etc. :0/ I have changed my mind on that though after much thought. I feel it's good to watch the current videos out there though to be more informed and prepared.

I watched. I wanted to see what was going to be done. I thought I might have a better understanding of what recovery might be like once I knew what was, physically, going to happen to my body.

I started to watch before my surgery, but I quit watching not far into the movie. I did finally watch the whole thing after I had the surgery. I'm glad I did.

Absolutely! I watched a few videos before my surgery. My surgeon also gave me a copy of my own surgery video and I watched that one about a week later lol.

I did and I wish I hadn't. I was doing pretty good nerves wise until I saw that video. I guess it was my "it finally has hit me" moment.

I haven't had surgery yet but I've watched several different youtube videos, very glad I did and I'll probably watch more. I would suggest others to view them as well. Probably not so good for those easily sickened by the sight of blood and such.

I watched every documentory on weight loss and weight loss surgery that I could find (sent my poor husband insane for months with them), but didn't think to look on youtube until I was post op, was not phased by it either before or after surgery.

I also had my gallbladder out a few years ago, and I mad a much quicker recovery after my sleeve surgery, so if you've had that done there really is nothing to be worried about, this is certainly no worse in my opinion.

From day one when I decided that I was taking back my life, I watched, read everything I could get my hands on about WLS. I originally was going after the lap band. So I did a lot watching and reading about the lap band. Once I attended the seminar that (lap band) was not even an option anymore. I was wanting to google VSG ASAP. I watched soooooo many videos of the procedure being performed. I came accross VST then I would read and read every evening after work everyday.

:)

Deb.

Me too.

I actually watched a video of all of the three surgeries that my surgeon offers at the first seminar I attended. I was fascinated, but other people in the class seemed disgusted or acted like they were going to be sick. ;)

I am very squeamish, but i am still glad I watched the videos. i feel like i understand the actual surgery alot better now. One thing that is kinda funny is that you get the idea that it is very short from watching the video, makes me wonder what they are going to do the whole rest of the time, :D