Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI but I need to know if this is something I should be worried about.

I apologize for the TMI but I have an irregular menstral cycle. Typically it is 38 days. 4-5 days post surgery my monthly came, but it was a good 2 weeks early. I was told it could just be from stress of surgery and I had pnuemonia but I am still bleeding 11 days later. I have never bled for more then 7 days. The blood is partially still bright red and there was alot of clotting today....

Could this just be stress? Or should I be worried that I have had some sort of complication?

I don't know the answer but am experiencing something similar. I am 4 days post surgery. My period basically ended the day before surgery but now I seem to have it again, very little, but there. I am assuming our liquid diet is throwing off our cycle....

Here's another TMI question. Surgery was Wednesday. Today is Sunday. I haven't pooped yet. I haven't eaten so that makes sense but I need someone else to chime in.

I wonder if it could be hormonal- when losing weight the body might become unbalanced hormonally or I wonder if stored hormones in fatty tissue could

contribute. Might be something to mention to your doctor.

Tina,

I don't know about the menstrual cycle, I have had a hysterectomy so wasn't an issue for me. On the poop issue, I was warned it could be a couple of weeks before that occurred but one think I didn't find out about until it occurred is the "liquid in/liquid out" so beware of that! I guess it depends on your diet. I add Flax Seed oil to my morning shake to help with that also. Natural movers are better! Good luck and congrats!

I apologize for the TMI but I have an irregular menstral cycle. Typically it is 38 days. 4-5 days post surgery my monthly came, but it was a good 2 weeks early. I was told it could just be from stress of surgery and I had pnuemonia but I am still bleeding 11 days later. I have never bled for more then 7 days. The blood is partially still bright red and there was alot of clotting today....

Could this just be stress? Or should I be worried that I have had some sort of complication?

I too started the day before surgery and am still having bright red spotting a week later. I don't know for sure if this is it or if you even had it but they were giving me heparin / lovanox (blood thinners) while I was in the hospital to prevent blood clots. I'm thinking that may have been part of my issue. If you are really concerned then maybe you could check with your GYN doctor. Good Luck

I was sleeved Sept 19th, I too didnt poop at first. I tried Milk of Magnesia, then again 6 hours later, no luck. My Doc ok'd me to use an enema,it worked in less than 5 mins and I have been going daily since. It not like before of course, mostly liquid now. (do not trust a fart) I felt sooo much better after pooping.

Here's another TMI question. Surgery was Wednesday. Today is Sunday. I haven't pooped yet. I haven't eaten so that makes sense but I need someone else to chime in.

I was sleeved Sept 19th, I too didnt poop at first. I tried Milk of Magnesia, then again 6 hours later, no luck. My Doc ok'd me to use an enema,it worked in less than 5 mins and I have been going daily since. It not like before of course, mostly liquid now. (do not trust a fart) I felt sooo much better after pooping.

This literally had me LOL!!! . . .

I read on this forum that when you are losing weight quickly that those fat cells that you are burning are dumping estrogen into your system. It seems a lot of ppl experience heavier, longer periods after WLS. If you are taking your Multivitamin with Iron in it, you should be fine.

I took Lovenox as well and it didn't affect my menstrual cycle. HOWEVER, I have had very irregular periods for the last year or two, probably because I was too heavy for my body to allow me to have regular cycles. With the 40 lbs I've dropped since starting the liquid diet, I had a period for the first time in 8 months (sorry if any guys are reading). It lasted 10 days, where mine are usually 4 days. I'm hoping this means I'll have a regular cycle now.

As for the poo issue, I was 4 days out before I had a bm and I've gone from very loose to more normal as I've moved into the mushy and puree stages. Today is day 1 of regular diet, so I'm not sure how that will translate.

I agree that the blood thinners used post op probably have an effect on your period, although not connected to my surgery I have issues with regularity of my hormonal cycle too, and once (due to stress) experienced a period which went on at full pelt for 6 weeks until I finally got medication for it, although your is longer than you are used to, I believe it isn't unusual to occasionally have one which goes on a while, especially if you are goung through a lot of physical/emotional stress.

Fingers x'd for you.

I had surgery on Sept. 20 and inquired at my 1 week appointment why I hadn't gone poo. The doctor said that it was normal but told me to get some Milk of Magnesia. I took it and within a few hours I went. Crazy thing is, I haven't gone since then. I'm now on mushy food and hope I become a little more regular.

I started my period about two days after surgery while still in the hospital (I was about two weeks early). It lasted about 8 to 10 days but I assume that was from the heparin that I received every morning while in the hospital. I believe you are experiencing something very normal, you will be fine, hang in there!

Oh, and don't worry. you will poop again in time. Your body is just in shock right now but what goes in must come out eventually. :)

God Bless!

Shell

I agree with what has been said...The hormones that are released as your body uses the stored fat can make you menstrual cycle go crazy. I also agree that medicaiton and stress from surgery can cause problems.

I would like to add that if you bleed much longer (more than a couple of days with out lightening up) you should contact your doctor. 1st your surgeon and then you GYN. It won't hurt to talk to them about this.

Hope things settle down soon:)

I think having this surgery DEFINATLY stresses our bodies out!!

I had my period ( I am and always have been normal), stopped 4 days before my surgery and 3 days after my surgery, I started again!! Just like I hadn't had one at all!! WEIRD. Mine was extra heavy and clotty too. I think that was a BIG reason I became anemic. I have heavy periods anyway and to have 2 in a matter of days, it was like bleeding for 14 days in a row because mine last for a week at a time!

My dr. told me it could happen, so I was prepared, but it still was not fun!

Kelly ;)