Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Sunshine

Really? I hadn't heard that. I wonder why that is. I would think that as your swelling goes down there would be less restriction. I wondered if I had no restriction because the Dr. had to poke and prod for about 20 minutes to get my port where he could insert needle. I figure I must be swollen after that.

Nance

I'm feeling great, thanks! As today passed, I felt better and better and I'm off of painkiller for now. I might take some before bedtime just to make sure I sleep okay but I'm just a little sore and I only feel it when I'm getting in and out of my chair or bending down.

I think I'll be ready to go back to work on Tuesday! :) I hope I'm as successful as you have been!

Longhorn - Congrats on being banded :clap2: as each day passes you will feel better - I was banded on Tues - back to work the following Monday. Your port site is going to be the most painful for awhile but it goes away too. Make sure to drink your Water & get all your Protein and you will do great....

Thanks but I don't feel successful - Yes I am losing weight but only by sheer willpower. I had my first fill and no restriction. But I am determined to do this so no choice. Glad you are feeling good. Even with all my complaining I would do it again in a heartbeat cause I don't want to gain this back.

Misty - I gotta say that for that for the most part - shear will power is what you have to do until you hit your sweetspot - My 1st fill it took the doc forever to find the soft spot in my port - that fill lasted about a week - i am lucky cuz my 2nd fill on 10/24 - found the soft spot right away and I have good restriction.. I wrote a long dissertation on will power a few pages back- We think we don't have it - but we really do as the band helps ... We have to change our whole way of dealing with food - and prior to getting proper restriction is a great training grounds imho

Make good food choices - this is a life time committment...

I'm feeling great, thanks! As today passed, I felt better and better and I'm off of painkiller for now. I might take some before bedtime just to make sure I sleep okay but I'm just a little sore and I only feel it when I'm getting in and out of my chair or bending down.

I think I'll be ready to go back to work on Tuesday! :) I hope I'm as successful as you have been!

Longhorn - Congrats on being banded :clap2: as each day passes you will feel better - I was banded on Tues - back to work the following Monday. Your port site is going to be the most painful for awhile but it goes away too. Make sure to drink your Water & get all your Protein and you will do great....

Thanks but I don't feel successful - Yes I am losing weight but only by sheer willpower. I had my first fill and no restriction. But I am determined to do this so no choice. Glad you are feeling good. Even with all my complaining I would do it again in a heartbeat cause I don't want to gain this back.

Misty - I gotta say that for that for the most part - shear will power is what you have to do until you hit your sweetspot - My 1st fill it took the doc forever to find the soft spot in my port - that fill lasted about a week - i am lucky cuz my 2nd fill on 10/24 - found the soft spot right away and I have good restriction.. I wrote a long dissertation on will power a few pages back- We think we don't have it - but we really do as the band helps ... We have to change our whole way of dealing with food - and prior to getting proper restriction is a great training grounds imho

Make good food choices - this is a life time committment...

Hi everyone just checking in to see how everyone is getting along. I am doing great...I had my band on Sept. 10, 2007 and I had my first fill two weeks ago and got 2cc's put in and did anyone feel thier band inflate by chance I sure did. I go back on Nov 7, 2007 for my second fill and can't wait to see the difference. I eat real slow and small bites and well I have had my moments to where it gets stuck like but no vomiting I just sit back and relax until it passes, it feels like a vice grip for sure. I ahve lost a total of 54 pounds and holding. I lose on an average 4 pounds per week. With the band I have lost 42 pounds before the band 12 pounds. I am down from a size 24-26 to a size 18 and counting as I call it. I went to Kohls on Thursday to get a coffee pot for my hubby and had to stop by the ladies department just to try on a few things, I call it my incentive plan and well when I put on that womans size 18 I just flipped out and then I tried on in the regular misses department two coats and well both were an XL and I need to lose about 10 more pounds to fit nicely, my DH just smiled and said it was worth it right? and I said yep. I told him I will start getting me some new colthes after january 1, 08 because I am already walking out of my jeans now as it is. I gave away 4 bags of my old but very nice fat clothes and kept some because I can alter them as I go down and I already have. I have a goal to lose 23 more pounds by the end of the year that takes me down to an even 200 not too shabby coming from a 279 pound woman.

Mistymoon

That is what people on forum have told me. They said that you shouldn't get another fill for at least two weeks after last fill because you may not feel the restriction for two weeks. I hope it is true because I am counting the days.

My Dr. hit the port immediately and I just felt a prick feeling. But, I think my stomach swelled because I did feel good restriction the first few days afterwards.

Hi everyone just checking in to see how everyone is getting along. I am doing great...I had my band on Sept. 10, 2007 and I had my first fill two weeks ago and got 2cc's put in and did anyone feel thier band inflate by chance I sure did. I go back on Nov 7, 2007 for my second fill and can't wait to see the difference. I eat real slow and small bites and well I have had my moments to where it gets stuck like but no vomiting I just sit back and relax until it passes, it feels like a vice grip for sure. I ahve lost a total of 54 pounds and holding. I lose on an average 4 pounds per week. With the band I have lost 42 pounds before the band 12 pounds. I am down from a size 24-26 to a size 18 and counting as I call it. I went to Kohls on Thursday to get a coffee pot for my hubby and had to stop by the ladies department just to try on a few things, I call it my incentive plan and well when I put on that womans size 18 I just flipped out and then I tried on in the regular misses department two coats and well both were an XL and I need to lose about 10 more pounds to fit nicely, my DH just smiled and said it was worth it right? and I said yep. I told him I will start getting me some new colthes after january 1, 08 because I am already walking out of my jeans now as it is. I gave away 4 bags of my old but very nice fat clothes and kept some because I can alter them as I go down and I already have. I have a goal to lose 23 more pounds by the end of the year that takes me down to an even 200 not too shabby coming from a 279 pound woman.

Way to go Sharon :clap2::clap2: you are doing really great :clap2:

I don't think you are going to need another fill - sounds like you are at your sweet spot...

I was a 18 pants and 22/24 top (hate tight clothing) last night i fit a pair fo 14 jeans and 1 x tops fitting loose too.. So I understand your joy - keep up the good work :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Indigo Girl

I went looking for you dissertation on will power. It is on Page seven and a must read for everyone!!! I think I am going to frame it!! You are absolutely right - on all counts. And I think it is important to remember That we are strong woman and we CAN do this!! Thanks

Hi! I'm right there with you. I went from a size 22-24 to a size 18. It feels wonderful!! I'm taking in some of my old clothes but they don't look as good as the new ones. I was banded June 18 and have lost 68 lbs, 20 before surgery. I have had 2 fills and the second didn't take affect until about 2 weeks after. How much are you eating at one meal? If it's soft food, I can eat 1 to 1/2 cups, but if it's meat or chicken just about 3 oz. popcorn - no problem, crunchy things - no problem.

Hi! I'm right there with you. I went from a size 22-24 to a size 18. It feels wonderful!! I'm taking in some of my old clothes but they don't look as good as the new ones. I was banded June 18 and have lost 68 lbs, 20 before surgery. I have had 2 fills and the second didn't take affect until about 2 weeks after. How much are you eating at one meal? If it's soft food, I can eat 1 to 1/2 cups, but if it's meat or chicken just about 3 oz. popcorn - no problem, crunchy things - no problem.

Wow, I thought popcorn was one of those things I wouldn't be able to eat again! I'm glad to hear that it's not a given!

Indigo Girl

I went looking for you dissertation on will power. It is on Page seven and a must read for everyone!!! I think I am going to frame it!! You are absolutely right - on all counts. And I think it is important to remember That we are strong woman and we CAN do this!! Thanks

Thanks Mistymoon !!!!! That's sweet - Frame it - I don't know if it's that good:)

Cblancha - it really does depend on what you are eating and the band is fickle imho - last night had this one pot wonder - onions bell peppers jalapeno cabbage pork chop garlic soy sauce rice - all julinee and cooked ate 1 cup and was still sort of hungry (mostly head hunger) then ate 1/4 flour tortilla with meat & cheese - got golf ballk - ate some grapes (10/15) then on my midnight run had 1/2 sf pudding snack and got little golf ball. I am eating about the same as you - i eat fish 5 nights a weeks and it's soft - had chicken at chinesse last week ate chick no problem.

Wow, I thought popcorn was one of those things I wouldn't be able to eat again! I'm glad to hear that it's not a given!

Longhorn - had popcorn at the show the other night - and i buy the small 100 calorie bags - i just chew well and haven't had any problems

Everyone is diff on what they eat - yesterday had a toast grilled cheese sandwich (lite bread 2% milk cheese) at it with no problems. Yesterday went shopping apples looked really good - so bought 2 - tried to eat 1/2 for snack today - could only eat 1/4 - I LOVE MY BAND ....

I am the only one invited tho. I took pictures Sunday night for my 3 months post op. I looked at them on the computer and it really bummed me out. I guess I expected more of a difference for 35+ pounds. Something else I think about is--when I go anywhere I am still this FAT person to anyone else. Husband and friends say they can tell I have lost. And I pretty much have NO restriction. I need a talkin to! Give me some encouraging words please. :(

I am the only one invited tho. I took pictures Sunday night for my 3 months post op. I looked at them on the computer and it really bummed me out. I guess I expected more of a difference for 35+ pounds. Something else I think about is--when I go anywhere I am still this FAT person to anyone else. Husband and friends say they can tell I have lost. And I pretty much have NO restriction. I need a talkin to! Give me some encouraging words please. :(

2bthinagn

35.5 lbs gone:clap2: You are doing good - It most likely shows - but since we are always so hard on ourselves you just aren't seeing it like a stranger would - (post them so we can see your before & progress)

Some times when you have more weight to lose it takes a little longer for it to really show. Don't be discouraged by your pic's - the real answers are in how do you feel - how are your clothes fitting - I bet you are feeling so much better!!! Just think you are not carrying around 3 - 10 pound sacks of potatoes and 5.5 pounds of butter - I bet you that your weight loss is noticable - it's just that we are doing so much work that we think it should just melt off like that... but remember you didn't put it on in 3 months - so it's not all going to be gone in 3 months...

One day at a time - 1 pound at a time - don't get discouraged - just think in another 3 months - the total will be 70 gone !!

2bthin

35 pounds congradulations. Seems like you are steadily losing 10pounds a month. Perhaps you have an image in your head of what your body will look like when you reach your goal and want it so bad right now that anything in between is exaggerated toward the old you.

Hey it's been almost 2 months since I had the surgery and I've only lost 10 pounds. It was 14pounds but I gained back 4 before my first fill. And yes it does make me :sick . I have hypothyroidism, which may be why it is so hard to lose weight.

Hi everyone, I had my consultation visit with Dr. Wellborn. My surgery date is Nov. 30. I already have appointments to get my first fill at 6 weeks. I can't hardly wait to get started. I am inspired by many of the post but I think Indigo Girl inspires me the most. Thanks Indigo. I hope I can do as well as you have. Whatever you do, never quit posting. You are very inspiring. Brenda