Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hi everyone! I'm new here...I will be getting my band the last of January. Right now going to the psych. and nutritionist. I'm five feet tall and weigh 214. I am 60 years old. I have some fears but I'm at the point that this is my only chance to lose the weight and have a normal life. I also have type 2 diabetes. You can't imagine how much all of you are helping me with your comments and etc. Love this web!!!! LBelle

Ok, my DH won a cruise (it's not as cool as you'd think...we've already spent 3 times as much as the tickets cost just on the little extras!). I have NO clothes. I wasn't planning on buying any until I reached 'the size'! Now I look at clothes online and I'm looking at at least $500 worth of clothes just for this itty bitty cruise!

Neither one of us is terribly excited about this (although, I'd happily go if I could just show up in my jeans and dirty t-shirt, book and dh in tow!). We're just not the cruise kind of folks if you know what I mean!

Well, to top it off, I've picked out enough clothes for the 4 days (4 days!!!!), but when I took my measurements to make sure I was ordering the right size, it's a whole lot bigger than what I've been buying lately. I've been wearing an 18 from Orvis (in case you haven't realized it yet, I NEVER go out shopping in retail stores - yuck!), but I'm ordering clothes from the Woman Within (what a STUPID name! my woman within wears a size 8!!!) which I think used to be Lane Bryant.

My question is...has anyone purchased clothes from WW? Do they run large, or true to size? I seriously don't want to buy these things in the first place, but I definitely don't want to have to return them. The cruise is Dec 13-16. I'd love to just forget the whole thing!!!

Oh, we looked into giving the tickets away...you can give one away, but not two!!! What do they really care????? If someone WANTS to go on the cruise, they'd probably spend more on board than those of us who don't want to!!!

Oh, please...would I be stupid to just cancel the whole thing and tell them to keep the change???

Thanks girls. Not everyone would understand my dilemma!

If I were you, I would go on the cruise. I think that you might be surprised at how much you end up enjoying yourselves.

Take one cheap but vaguely dressy outfit for dinner and some casual wear for the rest of the time. Buy your casual clothes at Walmart. The dressy item can be a long skirt and a sleeveless top and a nice pair of sandals. You can wear flipflops the rest of the time with shorts, capris or jeans. A sleeveless black dress is also an elegant dressy item. Remember that you will never see these people again and that your goal is to experience something entirely new and different. By the way, if you are one of those who are prone to feeling cold take a shawl for the evenings. And have fun. From what I hear those boats are big places and there are many things to do and see. :biggrin1:

green is exactly right! I've been on three cruises and belong to a cruise board. What people wear is a hot topic but cruises are getting more casual all the time. Most of the big lines now allow jeans at dinner! And while some people really dress up for formal night, others dress the way green described and everyone still manages to have a great time.

You could also check out any consignment stores in your area for the dressier stuff. I would NOT spend $500 on clothes that won't fit you for long.

Have a great time!

. I'm mad at him today. Can you tell?? He's been a real pill all day... crabby and mean. So since he was already being a jerk, ;) He hates when I buy shoes or purses.

Phyl - :) Whatelse can I say - Men:paranoid

Ok, my DH won a cruise (it's not as cool as you'd think...we've already spent 3 times as much as the tickets cost just on the little extras!). I have NO clothes. I wasn't planning on buying any until I reached 'the size'! Thanks girls. Not everyone would understand my dilemma!

Crabcake - I too wasn't going to buy any clothes until at goal - but I was swimming ins 99% of my clothes - went out this past weekend and bought 9 top 4 pair of pant - Since I still work I really needed some stuff cuz I didn't feel good in my old clothes - Yes got to Walmart Target - Mervin's was haveing a great sale - buy just a couple things - that aren't expensive and I agree - cruises aren't as dressy as they once were unless you are going on a Holland or one of the more ritzy lines.

Enjoy your 3 days at sea...

This is an amazing, uplifting thread.

Welcome Titslereaux - This is a great group !!!!:Banane20:

Hi everyone! I'm new here...I will be getting my band the last of January. You can't imagine how much all of you are helping me with your comments and etc. Love this web!!!! LBelle

LBelle - Congrats on getting banded and Welcome :clap2:

Phyl - sounds like you need to trade in your man for a newer model, one that isn't as noisy. This one sounds like he's running awful loud. :)

Welcome newbies, and love your name, TitsL. ;)

Phyl - sounds like you need to trade in your man for a newer model, one that isn't as noisy. This one sounds like he's running awful loud. ;)

Welcome newbies, and love your name, TitsL. :Banane20:[/quote

Bra or no bra :)

Indiogirl watch me eat the WHOLE bag :biggrin1:

Phyl Don't know how you deal with that stuff from your DH. Mine tries some of that at times. I go bananas on him, throw a fit and drink half a bottle of the wine or eat exactly what he underhandly says I sholdn't. My therapists says that I hurt myself. Luckily my guy 'hears' what I tell him. I let him know that he thinks he is helping me by behaving like a parent. I told him that all he accomplishes is triggering me into behaving like a rebellous kid. Then I asked him or gave him permission to do one thing. That is to remind me to chew well and slow. This has made a major difference.

I'm sorry to hear how controlling your DH can be to you. I guess if you stand up for yourself he just gets grumpier? I have an ex (married 37 yrs to him) who was super controlling and abusive. Our marriage became a battleground of him controlling and me resisting. :angry

Get yourselves younger mates is Green's advice. They are much better at giving a grrl respect I have found. And are much less bossy. My husband is 9 years younger than I am and he doesn't interfere with my decisions.

My father was one of those super controlling individuals and this has always made me very skittish around men and very careful (well, kind of paranoid) as to which ones I would be prepared to allow into my life.

This is also why I have always kept a firm grip on my own finances and ensured that I owned my own property. I have never, ever wanted to relinquish my autonomy to a bossy man. I will always consult with my husband, for that is showing him the respect which he deserves for putting up with me, but in the last gasp I will do what I want to do. Right now I am mulling over buying a piece of jewellery which is lovely, a good buy because it is an estate piece, and which I so totally do not need. :phanvan

Get yourselves younger mates is Green's advice. They are much better at giving a grrl respect I have found. And are much less bossy. My husband is 9 years younger than I am and he doesn't interfere with my decisions.

My father was one of those super controlling individuals and this has always made me very skittish around men and very careful (well, kind of paranoid) as to which ones I would be prepared to allow into my life.

This is also why I have always kept a firm grip on my own finances and ensured that I owned my own property. I have never, ever wanted to relinquish my autonomy to a bossy man. I will always consult with my husband, for that is showing him the respect which he deserves for putting up with me, but in the last gasp I will do what I want to do. Right now I am mulling over buying a piece of jewellery which is lovely, a good buy because it is an estate piece, and which I so totally do not need. :phanvan

I think it's just easier not to have one at all :) - I too have always controlled my own $$ - owned my own house - cars etc. My Dad wasn't controlling - in fact he taught me how to be independent. Heck I have been on my own since 16...

I used all my sex up when I was younger:eek: - don't even care about that anymore - I talk all day at work so don't want to do that when i get home - I control the remote, do what i want or not depending on how I feel that day... I have had enought drama in my life just don't want it anymore - If a great man fell on my doorstep - I would open the door but I'm not out there looking for him...

Green if you love it buy it - who cares if you need it ;) Does it make you happy - will you smile while you wear it - that's what counts.

IndioGirl & Green

I send mine to take photoghraphing vacations often and I stay home. Do love those days alone. But, also miss him and am ready for his company when he comes back.

Actually my DH is really my boyfriend (BF). We live together but I don't want to give up my freedom and money for a piece of paper. Because DH/BF worked for the government he doesn't get social security. I've always either worked as a fine artist or as unpaid accountant for my EX's business, my social security is almost nonexistant. When my ex. starts drawing on his social security, I will get half his amount as long as I don't remarry. For me that is $800 a month that I'm not about to give up.

There are tiimes when living with my man drives me nuts. He wants to yak all the time and I just want silence. God that drives me nuts.

But he is finacially well off and I'm a financial disaster. He buys me whatever I want an doesn't abuse me. I picked out the house we live in and wanted a studio. He let me design one and had it built.

It's just give and take. If I were in a good financial condition, I might choose to live alone....yet.....maybe not.

Hi all,

Well I was reading the info from my initiation meeting and the pre-op diet is: 3-4 oz. Protein, 1 cup cooked or raw veg. and 1 piece of fruit.< /span>

Ok I had to try it....I normally don't eat until after noon....I drank Water all morning....ate 3oz boneless, skinless chicken breast that was parboiled in water and a tad of olive oil and spices, 1 cup rutabaga (OK I like it).....oh also I ate a peeled apple not much bigger than an apricot!!!

Aaaaah, now that was excellent....I didn't feel full until half an hour after I ate and I forgot to eat the protein alone first but all in all not bad.

5 hours later I did the same food again....only carrots this time....I remembered to eat he protein first too....oh good for me!!!

Then my neighbor came over about 3 hours later baring gifts of 3 very very nice looking frosted brownies.....she knows I'm on this new me kick ....she came with me to the seminar!!!

I ATE ALL THREE BROWNIES!!!!

I did not eat my 3rd meal...figured I messed up so I went to bed instead.

Today is a new day and so far so good!

I should have thrown those brownies away....why didn't I????

I think this is what always screwed up my 'diets'......absolutely no will power....

I live alone...divorced 18 years ago.....I am very VERY happy to be on my own.

I must work on this problem of eating whatever is given to me....well if it looks good....I don't have a problem throwing out some things. I can't believe I actually ate them!!! I am really not feeling good about myself today......I will throw out any sweets that are given to me from now on......yes, I WILL>

Oh the question before my rant was .....was your pre-op like this one?

Thanks , Carol:help:

I think it's just easier not to have one at all :Banane20: - I too have always controlled my own $$ - owned my own house - cars etc. My Dad wasn't controlling - in fact he taught me how to be independent. Heck I have been on my own since 16...

I used all my sex up when I was younger:eek: - don't even care about that anymore - I talk all day at work so don't want to do that when i get home - I control the remote, do what i want or not depending on how I feel that day... I have had enought drama in my life just don't want it anymore - If a great man fell on my doorstep - I would open the door but I'm not out there looking for him...

Green if you love it buy it - who cares if you need it :Banane20: Does it make you happy - will you smile while you wear it - that's what counts.

Yup, I am not much of a talker anymore. This is why I prefer the internet to answering my phone. And I am kinda pleased that my younger husband still works and that he is works on permanent off-shift. This means that I have the late afternoons and evenings to myself. Part of the morning belongs to me because the man is still in bed. He is the chattier of the pair of us, you see. ;)

At the same time he is a lovely man, the opposite from my patriarchal dad. Indeed, I am quite a bit like my father - monkey see, monkey do - and my mate deals with this gracefully and patiently. The one thing which my dad did teach me was to be independent (perhaps of guys like him???) and to always have a bolt-hole. This was good advice and I profitted from this when my first marriage went sour.

I must say that I know where you are coming from, Indio. My mate was working in Mexico for a month awhile back and, man, I really, really enjoyed living alone again. In fact I spent the first couple of weeks after his return in a state of high crankiness which was not fair to him and hurt him quite a lot. We eventually talked about it and I appologized, got over my grumpiness, and showed him the love and respect which he merits. (As for the remote, I am the one who controls it. Oh, mean, mean Green.......:))

Hi all,

Oh the question before my rant was .....was your pre-op like this one? Thanks , Carol:help:

Carol - Yes just say thank you then proceed to the trash and throw it away - sugar if food from the devil;)

I only had 1 week pre-op - My doc provided all the food (price paid in my program fee) - oatmeal - shake - Soup and some good Protein Bars -

They only had this god awful tomatoe soup - after 1 day called them and said I can't do this - can i have a 4oz fish & salad or veggies for dinner - they said yes low fat no carbs and controlled protions... So that's what I did...

Green - Sounds like you and your guy can communicate which is one of the most important parts of any relationship - that and respect.. Sounds like you got both :)