Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Green/Denise....

I am becoming a little disullusioned by this lap band...am I to understand any small deviation from protein/veg/water will pack on the weight?

I thought with the correct amount of fill a banded person was on such a small amount of food that a little normal sliver of dessert was ok....just not to be made a daily occurance???? Now I am wondering what the purpose of banding is for if we are to police each and every mouthful and then to have the same guilt gnawing at us when we have a piece of candy or cake.......I think I need to hear the whole good and bad of banding.....

I do not want to have guilt anymore.

Denise, you have done a wonderful job of losing weight. How much candy etc did you eat... that put on 4 pounds??? In the whole scope of a years time on the band are you consuming sugar DAILY or perhaps your band is not filled enough and you are consuming too many calories???

As I said, you have done a marvelous job.....don't beat yourself up over 4 pounds or a piece of sugar.....aren't we supposed to be able to eat 'normally'? And with 'normal' eating the weight probably goes up and down....right?

Carol

Carol, the band works best on those who have problems with Portion Control. This was my situation. I never had much of a sweet tooth but I ate huge amounts of food. Once the band was installed I simply could not consume much food anymore. I have always liked good food but I was awful fond of carbs and cheese. My job was to trim back on the carbs, eat less cheese and generally pay a little more attention to what I actually was eating in my banded mini-meals.

One of the things which I did do was to start reading the nutrition facts info on all processed foods before buying them. This was quite a shock. I discovered that vegetable Soups are largely devoid of Vitamin C. I discovered that eggs are low in calories and loaded with certain Vitamins and minerals. This meant that omelettes and fritattas made with fresh vegies were a good thing to make. For a snack I will eat a small tin of flavoured tuna, one of those with a pop-lid.

Because I was still eating all the things which I like but simply eating much, much less thanks to the band I was losing weight without any sense of dieting or deprivation. And though I do have a membership to a gym I haven't been using it. I had torn rotator cuffs, you see, and have spent a year in physiotherapy. I do a lot of walking, however, which is something which I really like.

For people who have a sweet tooth losing weight, even with the band, is much more of a challenge. You see, sweets are soft and tend to slip easily through the band. They are not only calorie dense but they don't contribute to that sense of fullness. These are the people who will feel like they are on a diet and will suffer from a sense of deprivation.

And as you have already heard, some folks have slower metabolisms than others.

INDIOGIRL

You're right. It's a good thing that I don't care much for pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes and bread. Stuffing, gravy and cranberries could be my downfall.

green

slow metabolism is what I have and hypothyroidism. I'm downright dissapointed about my weight loss.

INDIOGIRL

You're right. It's a good thing that I don't care much for pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes and bread. Stuffing, gravy and cranberries could be my downfall.

green

slow metabolism is what I have and hypothyroidism. I'm downright dissapointed about my weight loss.

This is a real bummer, grrl. Can the docs give you meds to fix the hypo-thyrodism?

And I am also deeply in love with stuffing and gravy! :hungry: By the way, you Americans do much better on the Thanksgiving front than we Canucks. You get a 4-day weekend out of it. Ours falls on a Monday and so we only score a 3-day weekend. blehhh! ;) And because we have already had ours we are already subjected to non-stop Xmas music in all the malls. Double blehhhh! :angry

Thanks Ladies for your support. I am back on the wagon and even walked a mile on my treadmill this morning. Also thanks for all your insights - I can use every little bit of info to help me along. You are right - eating sweet stuff is easy to do. But I feel guilty if I even eat SF pudding etc. I have come to the conclusion that I have a lot more food issues than I thought. My previous weight loss surgery did not require me to address those. I find that even when I say NO I keep hearing Eat me Eat me until I finally give in. I think I will go and google Emotional Eating. Thanks again I don't know what iI would do without you. Even when I don't post I read everyone of your comments.

Nance

Green

YIKES non stop xmas music. I thought that was only in the USA.........we get it before Turkey day these days because retailers have realized that they can't sell much for Thanksgiving. Hate it.

The hypothyroidism was one of reasons I put on so much weight. I am medicated for it, but may need an increase in medication again. Feeling all the symptoms...dry itchy skin, dull hair, fingernails brittle and people tell me that I look real pale. Need to go in for blood test.

I am about to put myself back on the liquid diet. My fridge is almost empty. After Thanksgiving, I am doing liquid Protein Shakes. I refuse to gain weight between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It's so easy to be on liquids anyway. I never have to think about what's for lunch, or making myself anything. After the first day, I am not hungry at all.

I appreciate all your input on the lap band....I am an over- eater of good food---I love good desserts---and my thyroid tested in the bottom 5%......

I am thinking I will have to develop a LOT of WILL POWER when I get banded.

I have always had great starting power on my numerous diets but I could never loose unless I walked a treatmill..In fact I killed two treadmills in my youth!

I am walking disabled now so I am counting on the band to restrict my food intake so I loose the weight now.....I do walk very slowly on a treadmill at the hospital gym but it is no where close to doing any good.

I hate the guilt my eating puts on me.

I assume everyone here feels the same.

I guess I am putting a little too much faith in the band and should probably start reading labels and planning an eating strategy.

I like the idea of eggs and egg dishes! tuna gives me indigestion...but every so often I do eat it anyway.

There is sooo much to think about when trying to completely change my habits and eating amounts.....

Carol

I appreciate all your input on the lap band....I am an over- eater of good food---I love good desserts---and my thyroid tested in the bottom 5%......

I am thinking I will have to develop a LOT of WILL POWER when I get banded.

I have always had great starting power on my numerous diets but I could never loose unless I walked a treatmill..In fact I killed two treadmills in my youth!

I am walking disabled now so I am counting on the band to restrict my food intake so I loose the weight now.....I do walk very slowly on a treadmill at the hospital gym but it is no where close to doing any good.

I hate the guilt my eating puts on me.

I assume everyone here feels the same.

I guess I am putting a little too much faith in the band and should probably start reading labels and planning an eating strategy.

I like the idea of eggs and egg dishes! tuna gives me indigestion...but every so often I do eat it anyway.

There is sooo much to think about when trying to completely change my habits and eating amounts.....

Carol

I do. The band will help a lot when it is adjusted right. It keeps you feeling full for a good time. Have you tried the airbike for exerise ?

It works well for a workout without having to walk.

Drinks - Lite beer (12 oz) or 4 oz wine = 100 calories

4 oz champane 86 calories

Holiday coffee Gingerbread Latte made with skim milk and no whip cream -200 c

Candie yams with brown sugar marshemallw or pecans 500 C vs Mash potatoes 240 - 300 depending on how made- (make with skim milk and just a tad of butter - increases the protien and cut the calories)

Gravey vs Cranberry Sause - choose gravey 80 c per 1/2 cup compared to 180 for the same serving of cranberry sause

Ham vs turkey vs prime rib

Turkey -skinless white 193 c per 5 oz dark 260 c

ham 5 oz 340 c

Prime rib 400

Pumkin vs apple vs pecan

Pumkin 270 c per slice (make with splenda and cut the calories)

Apple 370 c per slice

Pecan 700 per slice

Dinner 120 1/2 cup potatoes - 155 4 oz Turkey - 40 1/4 cup Gravy - 25 veggies - Stuffing 1/4 cup 60 c = 400 calories

1/2 slice of pumpkin pie Pie 135

Ok gang just gave you Thanksgiving dinner for 535 calories

and those with restriction most likely couldn't eat all of that food

and if you made the food - like tatos and pie you could reduce the calories futher ...

See it can be done without breaking the bank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yah, non stop Xmas music! :faint: Thank Gawd I don't work retail! :help: I would definitely go postal. :angry

Drinks - Lite beer (12 oz) or 4 oz wine = 100 calories

4 oz champane 86 calories

Holiday coffee Gingerbread Latte made with skim milk and no whip cream -200 c

Candie yams with brown sugar marshemallw or pecans 500 C vs Mash potatoes 240 - 300 depending on how made- (make with skim milk and just a tad of butter - increases the protien and cut the calories)

Gravey vs Cranberry Sause - choose gravey 80 c per 1/2 cup compared to 180 for the same serving of cranberry sause

Ham vs turkey vs prime rib

Turkey -skinless white 193 c per 5 oz dark 260 c

ham 5 oz 340 c

Prime rib 400

Pumkin vs apple vs pecan

Pumkin 270 c per slice (make with splenda and cut the calories)

Apple 370 c per slice

Pecan 700 per slice

Dinner 120 1/2 cup potatoes - 155 4 oz Turkey - 40 1/4 cup Gravy - 25 veggies - Stuffing 1/4 cup 60 c = 400 calories

1/2 slice of pumpkin pie Pie 135

Ok gang just gave you Thanksgiving dinner for 535 calories

and those with restriction most likely couldn't eat all of that food

and if you made the food - like tatos and pie you could reduce the calories futher ...

See it can be done without breaking the bank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing that. Wow!! We're having oven roasted Yukons instead of mashed, so no gravy to worry about either! Everything organic, but maybe not low cal! Dinner is tomorrow because our main "cook" has to get his wife back to WA in time for work Friday morning.

Hi Sunshine,

Airbike is not an option....

I have a screw through my spine resting on a major nerve to the right leg.

Every move is painful for my back and the right knee is semi numb and painful....depends on the area.

I walk with a cane or walker...depends on the day.

I wish I were able to exercise, my once sturdy plump body has gone to Ms. Marshmallow land....

I really really want the band to work for me...I am hopeing a loss in weight will relieve some of the back pain....the lap band is my only choice as I see it so there is a lot resting on a little plastic ring.

I attended the 3 hour manditory meeting for the band last week and turned in the information asked for. Now I just check my mailbox daily for a response from them as to what I do next.

I am on Medicare and according to them they do not require anything other than a need to be banded.

I think this clinic I attended also requires and psych eval and a dietician appt. but I think I have to wait for their letter to procede.

If you can think of any other exercise I could do please suggest it.

Thank You, Carol

Carol, it sounds to me that your best bet would be swimming and other exercises which are done in Water. Your legs and back won't be subjected to the same pressure as they are on land. It is as close to a weightless experience as most of us earthlings will ever get. Water exercises are often referred to as aquobics. You should phone around and see if you can find something of this type in your area.

The report below came from John Hopkins health Alerts. Thought you all would be interested in itfaint.gif

A revealing study published in the International Journal of Obesity (online edition, June 27, 2006) highlighted 10 reasons why Americans are fat. The study explained that too much food and a lack of exercise are not the only factors contributing to obesity. They identified 10 other possibilities:

• Weight gain factor 1. Less sleep.< /strong> We’ve gone from an average of nine to seven hours of sleep a night; sleep deprivation is linked to a more robust appetite.
  • Weight gain factor 2. Pesticides and other chemicals in foods. These substances can change hormonal activity, which can boost body fat
  • Weight gain factor 3. Air conditioning and heating. We don’t sweat and shiver as much as our ancestors, so we don’t burn as many calories.
  • Weight gain factor 4. Fewer smokers Nicotine is an appetite suppressant.
  • Weight gain factor 5. Greater use of medications, such as antidepressants and diabetes drugs, which have weight gain as a potential side effect.
  • Weight gain factor 6. Population changes. There are now more older people as well as more Hispanics in the United States, and these groups have higher rates of obesity.[/font]
  • Weight gain factor 7. Older birth mothers, whose children are more prone to excess weight gain than the offspring of younger mothers.
  • Weight gain factor 8. Genetics. Obese moms may pass the trait onto their children in utero.
  • Weight gain factor 9. Higher body weight = greater fertility. Heavy people produce more offspring than thinner people.
  • Weight gain factor 10. Assortative mating. Heavy people tend to mate with each other and produce heavy children.

<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Carol

I was thinking the same as green. At our local gym they have Water aerobics clases..I've seen women in wheel chairs, women who've had strokes and one that has MS. Your insurance might cover it as it is a rehab program.

I went for rehabilitation (not water) for my back. Insurance paid. It helped me some, but, what really helped was losing some weight.