Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted for awhile, kind of depressed with my lack of loss. I was in the carb cycle after a vacation to Mexico I found that booze really revs up the carb cravings too. Especially rum, because wine gives me a headache. Oh well, I'm on the wagon again, didn't even do badly after Thanksgiving.

Even with the band, I am left with my eating "issues" wanting more, more, more to fill a lonely heart, boredom, anxiety - you name it I react to it. I have decided that we are all very sensitive to our environments inside and outside. The defenses I have used is through insulation, over saturation, going into sugar numbness to protect myself. I've been in therapy for five years, exercising for four and now doing acupuncture for about a year. I do think there is light at the end of the tunnel, but there isn't any magic, for me. At least with my band, when things get off, I am not gaining great sums of weight! Yeah! That alone has given me a chance to breathe again. With the band I just stall for awhile.

Happy Thanksgiving to all - I am so grateful to you bandsters. It is wonderful to talk with people who understand and "get me."

Hugs,

Michelle from Denver

Hi Michelle

I was wondering where you were!!! I am glad you are ok - depressed but not in an accident or in the hospital - How's your Mom??

I am over the honeymoon period with by band - Over thanksgiving had a couple of pieces of cake - had turkey day twice - now i keep going into the kitchen and looking for food...

That's why I am on the computer - I need distraction,...

Food issues - well not feeling very smart tonite - so i will leave that for another day...

Thank goodness for the band cuz it doesn't let you down right pig out..

QUESTION for all you over 50's! I have enjoyed reading this thread but I don't think I've posted yet. I am scheduled January 10th!

My questions - now that you have your band, know the good, bad & the ugly......do you love your band? Would you do it again?

You are an inspiration.....to know after years of abusing our bodies, we have an opportunity to work at changing our lives with the help of the band. I have been working on some of the behavior modification but the one I'm having the hardest time with is exercising.....I hate it....everything hurts....so many excuses.

Also, can relate to some of you with husbands that sabatouge. Mine is not happy of my decision and I know the changes are going to be difficult for him.

I'm 56, H 313, C 303........and full of HOPE.

Thank you all!

QUESTION for all you over 50's! I have enjoyed reading this thread but I don't think I've posted yet. I am scheduled January 10th!

My questions - now that you have your band, know the good, bad & the ugly......do you love your band? Would you do it again?

You are an inspiration.....to know after years of abusing our bodies, we have an opportunity to work at changing our lives with the help of the band. I have been working on some of the behavior modification but the one I'm having the hardest time with is exercising.....I hate it....everything hurts....so many excuses.

Also, can relate to some of you with husbands that sabatouge. Mine is not happy of my decision and I know the changes are going to be difficult for him.

I'm 56, H 313, C 303........and full of HOPE.

Thank you all!

I have only been banded for 6 weeks but I can tell you that I am very happy I was banded. On Thanksgiving day I fixed my plate taking just a small amount each of the things I wanted. I looked over at my skinny daughter-in-law's plate and it looked just like mine! It just occurred to me that I am now eating like a skinny person! Good luck on your journey!

Hey---I'm 56, H315 C309----and waiting for my surgery date---actuallywaiting for insurance approval----congratulations on getting a date, and I'll be following your progress!! Do you have a strict preop diet to follow? My surgeon's is pretty restrictive.

Best wishes!

Carol in CT

Hi Everyone -

Indigo - thanks for the support. I think I am depressed, I just want to shake myself out of it. I have a number of systems to work through it along with medication, but know that what will make me feel really good is to stay with a good eating program for just today, then tomorrow, etc. It is like alcoholism, but you still have to eat. I liked the idea of no overt white sugar in the diet. I think that would help me reduce the "eat now or die urges."

Well, I commit to a no sugar day, and I'll report tomorrow. Have a great Monday!

Good bye mashed potatoes and gravy.

Hugs,

Michelle

Sharon,

Thank you for your response! I'm sure you were amazed with the changes on your plate. Congratulations on your band & I look forward to watching your journey.

Hey! back at ya Poodlecamper! Our stats aren't the only thing we have in common....I'm Carol in AZ! :D

My doc does not have a restrictive diet, unlike almost everything I've read on LBT, so I feel blessed. They do want you to begin applying the behavior changes into your daily life right from the getgo. I was given a list and asked to pick 3 of the changes to work on until my next appt. I picked drinking all the H20, small bites (small plate & fork too) and only 3 meals/no Snacks to get started. I decided to add no liquid during meal and the dreaded exercise this week. So far this morning: I forgot to not drink at Breakfast & didn't get up with the alarm to walk....but I still have the rest of today, right?

The only diet restrictions are only liquids only after noon the day before surgery, Clear Liquids post surgery for 48 hours, then slowly adding foods. But no beef or pork for 4 weeks. That is all I know from my first visit with the dietician.

Thanks for your response! Let me know about your insurance. When do you expect to hear back from them.

Thx again,

Carol

I've been on a depressed pigout for days now. Has to do with depressing health problems. I found out today if I just eat some meat, nothing else, it fills me up and stops the cravings.

Another thing is that after I eat a meal, I have this terrible craving for Water. I found if I just let an ice cube melt in my mouth it takes that craving away.

Hi luvsrocks. Of course you must take the advice of your health professionals, but my surgeon told me to walk for an hour a day for exercise. At first I found it really difficult and hated it. I began to be able to walk faster and faster and go further and further and now if i don't go for my walk i feel something is not quite right.

I don't think hubby is trying to sabotage me, just doesn't think about it. I told him what my issue was (can't resist high carb foods) and told him I couldn't have it in the house. So we'll see how things go.

I like Blue Bunny creamsicle and the raspberry bars. But I do have trouble leaving them alone and eat 3 or 4 at a time. So....the popsicles are a better choice for me also.

I heard it takes 3 months to learn a new habit! Would that include learning not to eat sweets?

Everybody, thanks for the encouragement.

Sue Stenzel

Thank you Ingyrob. I know I just have to commit to it. Did you build up to an hour or just go for it? Maybe I just need to do it and get over the aches & pains.

Thx again for your response.

Hi Sue! My sweet tooth goes away with some effort, and then pops back up...but each time it's easier to conquer. Kind of like an alcoholic hoping for shorter times falling off the wagon. The key for me is getting rid of as many artificial sweeteners as possible, and not watching TV sitting....too many food ads. If I watch TV I do it standing, stretching or exercising, if I have any food urges at all! Odd that artificial sweeteners will raise your blood sugar just like sugar...so there's the craving again, but what's worse is that there are now research studies showing that WATCHING a candy ad on TV, or a dessert program on the Food Channel WILL ALSO raise your blood sugar. That ain't fair!

I don't think hubby is trying to sabotage me, just doesn't think about it. I told him what my issue was (can't resist high carb foods) and told him I couldn't have it in the house. So we'll see how things go.

I like Blue Bunny creamsicle and the raspberry bars. But I do have trouble leaving them alone and eat 3 or 4 at a time. So....the popsicles are a better choice for me also.

I heard it takes 3 months to learn a new habit! Would that include learning not to eat sweets?

Everybody, thanks for the encouragement.

Sue Stenzel

Actually they say it takes a month.

I'm like you, I can eat 3 or 4 of those 100calorie bars at a time. Recently I've stayed with the 15 calorie popcycles. I let myself pigout on them.

Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to report I was great and stayed the course today. I realize that I have "cheated" for months, everyday. Little stuff, but today no sugar. I am proud of myself. I know I can lose weight if I stay within range and have good eating habits.

way to go! Awesome committment and that you followed through! Some days, that is very difficult but, one day at a time, eh?

I've heard others talk about the walk thing, that it's hard in the beginning but after a while, you HAVE to.

Interesting discussion on the artificial sweetners. I'll work on that. I did better yesterday, stuck to 3 meals and only Protein Snacks. So, that's a step in the right direction.

Sue Stenzel