Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

NMSunshine

I record Oprah daily.. I don't know for a fact if she is down on WLS but to me she puts that kind of spin on it - just like that show - transfer addiction - did she ask the people who were on the week before who have lost like 500 without surgery if they now have transfer addiction now she praised their weight loss... It's just seems like she has a bad attidutuet to wls to me ...

I watch her occasionally, but I think she's a little annoying! And, I know it's best to stay away from politics here, but I think she's getting a little too involved with a certain candidate! Not that he's MY candidate, but I don't think she's doing him any favors.

INDIGO

Last night Laura (she's part of my surgeons' team) called me, asking me how I was doing and if I had any problems. She told me to go on liquids only and she will be calling back today. If I don't get better one of the docs will call me. She said I could call her anytime day or night.

I feel like I am in good hands. I cut my pills way down and spend the day taking a few of the cuts at a time. It does feel much better today.

What are the dangers of being too tight? Couldn't I just stay on liquids and lose enough weight for the band to lossen on it's own?

NMSunshine - I am suppose to be on liquids for 1 week per my doc after a fill then mushie then soft dont get back to regular until week 4 - but being the person I am I do liquids for about 4-5 days then go to mushie/soft - most of my eating is soft.. Dangers of being to tight erosion is what I have read and maybe even slips and irritation - do u have heartburn - thats not a good sign and you should stay on liquids...

Sounds like you are doing better and your doc office sounds great..

Oh, I am VERY grateful that my DH does all the cooking! And the shopping, and the cleanup! I did everything for lots of years! So I'm not complaining!! (well, maybe a little when he over-seasons! LOL) I coach him as he cooks, so as long as he listens, it's all good! Between the two of us we've come up with some pretty good bandster freindly meals!

I guess I will have to call Janet's Dr. Bobby & see if I can get him to give me a fill. Isn't it strange to want to have all those horrible things.... PBing, sliming, etc! It's just that I know that they are indications that you have good restriction and since I don't have them, I think I need to be tighter.

Phyl isn't it funny that we want to pb or slime - i guess we just want to feel what everyone is talking about - I have done both - no great but not that bad - I have only slimed once or twice - pb a few times and like Macry posted you will stay away from food for a bit after you have done it.. When I eat too fast that will do it every time - even with pudding..

I watch her occasionally, but I think she's a little annoying! And, I know it's best to stay away from politics here, but I think she's getting a little too involved with a certain candidate! Not that he's MY candidate, but I don't think she's doing him any favors.

Yes I agree she ican be annoying and I agree with the politicis - I think it's cuz they are the same race and it should be about the best person - but she may beleive that - who know - - I am sick of all the presidential stuff so far in advance - just like xmas - thing just start too early for me

My producer (boss) is mr republican he votes party not person and I am sick of his hilary jokes - not that she is my person either - I don't know who in the H*ll i am going to vote for... i will vote for the person who i think is best for the job overall - this is what the USA is all about you vote for who you want - i vote for who i want - I respect each persons views and believe we are all intittled to our own views - doesnt make you good or bad in my eyes - say you like Mr. NY - say I like McClain -

this is our right. But right now i just don't have any opionoon cuz i am not following them - all you get is bits of this or bits of that when you listen to the news and then it's bias on who that station wants....

I really dont know where you get un-bias info at.. and heck the president really has only 3 powers - it's congress who we should be the most concerned about..

.. and heck the president really has only 3 powers - it's congress who we should be the most concerned about..

You got that right!! That's a very good point. OMG... watching NBC News (east coast feed) and they are talking about "The Oprah Campaign"!! Gag me!

:P :sick

Hi

One of the instructions my doctor gave me before surgery is crush pills for life, or convert pills to liquid. It probably won't resolve the issue you're dealing with right now, but maybe it will make it a little easier to crush your meds until this latest issue subsides.

After a fill, my doctor recommends mushies for a day and then cautiously resume solids. I think with a fill, especially when you're close to your sweet spot, there could be the potential for some swelling and it needs to go down. Hope this is the case for you.

Sue Stenzel

Weighed this morning & finally passed the -50 lb mark!! Woo hoo! My BMI down 10 since I started the pre-op diet. Oh, happy days!

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

Weighed this morning & finally passed the -50 lb mark!! Woo hoo! My BMI down 10 since I started the pre-op diet. Oh, happy days!

CONGRATULATIONS :P:wow2::first::cheer2::horn:

That's great!!! :high5:

PHYL and INDIGO

Our govenor, Bill Richardson is also running but, no one ever hears about him. Guess he's not good media stuff. The man would make a wonderful president. We've had him for govenor for a long time and he is tops. Also presidents use him to commmunicate with problem area leaders. Often he's the only one they will communicate with. The media controls this whole presidential thing.... just pisses me off.:angry

herghost

taking my pills are my biggest problem. I take an awful lot of them and most cannot be crushed. That's because they are time released. Guess it is dangerous because I'd get overdosed.

I just don't know if my problem is being too tight. When I swollow something (even Water sometimes) I can feel a pain like an ulcer when the food hits the pouch. It does seem to be getting better.

To top all this off, I picked up a nasty virus in one of the planes I was on. Everyone was coughing all around me.:sick

PHYL

:clap2:congradulations!!!

My scale is nuts I think. It's an expensive digital one. Two days ago it said I had lost 2 pounds since the fill. Today it is up and says I lost one pound. How can I be starving myself and lose one pound??????????? But, sometimes when I weigh in at docs I get a nice surprise as his will say I am 4 pounds lighter than my scale says.

Congratulations Phyl! That is great news.

The danger of being too tight for too long is definitely erosion and band slippage. I would think though that you would be having a lot of heartburn before that happened. My problem when I was too tight, was that when I would lay down to go to bed, after I feel asleep, Water would come gushing up into my mouth. It was awful. I have read on here where people are sleeping sitting up.

It doesn't sound like any of that is happening to you Miss Sunshine. If your band gets looser and saves you a trip to Mexico, that would be great. The band does loosen as the fat melts away from the stomach area.

My scale is nuts I think. It's an expensive digital one. Two days ago it said I had lost 2 pounds since the fill. Today it is up and says I lost one pound. How can I be starving myself and lose one pound??????????? But, sometimes when I weigh in at docs I get a nice surprise as his will say I am 4 pounds lighter than my scale says.

We have a digital, too, that I think we paid around $30 for. We've discovered that when we go to TOPS, or even when I go to the doctor, our scale is weighing about 2 lb. more with no clothes on than the TOPS/Dr scale weighs fully clothed. So I'll probably get a pleasant surprise when we go to TOPS on Wed.

Denise

Water coming up while you were sleeping sounds scary. How long did you wait before you got a defill?

I don't have any problem with anything coming up when I lay down nor have I had heartburn. I just tried to eat some yogurt but it sends those belches up that is like pbing. I'll go back to liquids. I do fine with cream of mushroom Soup. I can even soak a few crackers in it.

How long do you think is too long before slippage or erosioin becomes a problem?

I just read this article and though of us here - Great support system and encourgement is the secret....

People succeed not through will power but through a relationship with a person or group who shows them the way. Not just any relationship will do it has to be an emotional relationship with someone who inspires hope & belief. Who makes you say if she can do it I can too.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

You find others who are food eaters just like yourself – When you see your peers making the change in their eating habits & exercise you realize it can be done. <o:p></o:p>

3 Steps<o:p></o:p>

Relating (relationship) Repeating (practicing) Reframing (thinking in a new way)<o:p></o:p>

You look for people who intrigue you and make you say “I’d like to be like her – how does that work for her <o:p></o:p>

Form relationships and learn from them – you can’t argue with a living breathing person in front of you who had done it – Model yourself after them – Act like your life depends on it (it really does cuz the fats going to kill you)<o:p></o:p>

Sunshine, I had my overfill on a friday and went in Monday to have some taken out. It was really scary to have that Water come up and drown me while I was sleeping.< /p>

I don't know how long it would take for erosion to take place.

This is my first post about myself. I'm scheduled to have surgery Dec. 20th. Started Optifast last Thursday and all I can think about is eating and all the food I will be missing. I believe I'm thinking about food is because I'm hungry all the time. I also have loose stools from the drinks and today I have a headache that will not go away. I wanted this surgery and have been reading all the post for four months. I have spent hours researching lap band surgery. I live in SD and I was going to have lap band surgery in Mexico but could not find a doctor that would be a fill doctor for me. So I'm going to spend extra money I don't have and have Dr. Reynolds in Mitchell, SD perform the surgery. Also since I'm hungry I think about if I'm going to be able to handle all the food I currently want to eat because I can't have it. Anybody else experience the feelings I'm currently having? Does it get easier doing optifast or do I have ten days of hunger to deal with as I work? Linetta