Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

My questions - now that you have your band, know the good, bad & the ugly......do you love your band? Would you do it again?quote]

Luvsrocks - Yes I would do it again- it is a great tool to help you with portion control... I call it my interior motivator..

You got it Newstart - we ate like fat people before .... and you know what we thought that was normal eating and that the skinny person was the one with the food issues

Hey---I'm 56' date=' H315 C309----and waiting for my surgery date---actuallywaiting for insurance approval----congratulations on getting a date, and I'll be following your progress!! Do you have a strict preop diet to follow? My surgeon's is pretty restrictive.

Best wishes! Carol in CT[/quote']

Carol Welcome !!!

I heard it takes 3 months to learn a new habit! Would that include learning not to eat sweets? Sue Stenzel

Sue - I don't think thats going to work - we are food addicts this will be a life time battle for us - Lifetime Lifestyle Change... I wish it would only take 3 months

Hi everyone, Friday is my surgery day for my lap band. I am very excited and a little nervous. I am glad I have all of you here to ask questions and to share experiences with. Keep your fingers crossed for me that everything goes well. Maybe say a little prayer for me. Brenda

Brenda - CONGRATS !!! YOU WILL BE IN OUR THOUGHTS & PRAYERS..

I am looking forward to getting a fill too. I go in the middle of Dec but I wish it was sooner.

I can actually do really well with staying away from sugar. Then it's like something takes over and I go nuts. I did only gain 1 lb from all the Cookies. I am glad to say that I love exercise. I love going to the gym. I am happy that I have made that such a habit that I hate when I miss a day.

Denise - I get pissed when something stops me from going to the gym it's no cuz i love it - but know that it's my secert wepon to lose weight.

Michelle - I am glad you are doing better and have had 2 good strong days... That's great to hear... One day at a time - that's it.. You were so supportive when I 1st got here - I remember your kind advise - for some reason I have the impression you are a very soft spoken kind woman who maybe doesn't always stands up for herself... But you are now on a journey where you are doing everything within your power to become a healthy strong woman that you are deep inside..

Well gang guess who I met today - someone from this board...

Phyllser & I had Breakfast this morning - she lives in Washington and is a what we call a snowbird - she & her hubby spend their winter here in the Desert about 20 miles from where I live. I think it's great to be able to meet someone you talk to here...

My sis will be here tomorrow for 4 day - got the guess room cleaned up with fresh sheets - dusted - vacuumed etc - and now i am hungry - off to my fish & veggie & 1/2 c rice.

Talk to you all later..

Maj Jongg, huh? Wow. I haven't met anyone who plays except for me--I learned in Japan and have a great set but no one to play with. :cry Want to come to Utah? Do you play American rules or Japanese/Chinese. Just curious. Have a great time! I'm so envious.

Yeah, she snagged me on that Mah Jong comment, too. I used to play years ago with a group of military wives, American rules. In fact, I think they were rule books made up by a group of military wives. I loved it and had a beautiful set. I think I still have it in storage somewhere. I really enjoyed playing. Now I just play computer Mah Jong and it's not as much fun.

yeah, it was great meeting Janet today! We had a good visit. Wonderful to meet a fellow "bandster" in person! ;)

It's so good to be back in the desert southwest! It's nice and warm, the sunsets are gorgeous and we're enjoying being back here with our RV park friends. I made my first trek to the pool/hot tub tonight and tomorrow we get back to Water aerobics. I've had very little exercise since my lapband surgery, so this is going to be so helpful! I hope to see weight starting to come off a little faster!

:D:Banane30::):Banane30:

You know, the band is not a magic thing that all of a sudden the lifelong issues we've struggled with will go away. I wish. ONe of the things I decided when banded was not to be a slave to the scale. When I was in weight watchers, if I had gained weight or didn't follow the diet, I would skip the meeting or not eat the day before. How dumb! I realized that skinny people have the same issues we do, they overeat sometimes and have to watch it after that.

So, I only weigh in when I go to the dr. office. I Celebrate wearing clothes I couldn't wear before. If I get off track (and last month I not only got off track, I derailed in a big way), then look to today as a new day.

I guess I want to let you know Denise, that we all struggle with food issues and will continue to struggle with these issues. That's why we ended up getting banded, we needed a tool to stay with us (can't skip weighing in with the Band, it's ALWAYS there!).

Hang in there girl! You have lots of good company!

Sue Stenzel

Hi Everyone,

Yes, Mah Jongg was played. We use the American rules with the printed card. It is a more elaborate game than I was shone in China, however, they simplified the Chinese rules for the first timers on the Yangzee cruise. So I don't know the similarities. I do know that we don't use all the tiles from our kits to play. We also don't do elaborate betting and have a $3.00 limit that people can lose in one game. It is fun. I did great with the food. Just drank my Decaf, didn't bring the yogurt, but didn't start into the treats (and there were some) until the game was over. I had a few celery pieces and carrots with pea/avacado (new recipe without fat) dip. Came home and ate the yogurt with a pot of herbal tea. I like filling up on tea at night seems to take the edge off.

So I ended a third day of good eating. It has made me stronger internally, however, there is this weird restless feeling that comes over my subconscience when I am eating right. Is it withdrawal or fallout from pea dip??? Who knows? Does anyone else get this weird feeling when focused and eating balanced meals and you are under control? I had weird dreams last night that I couldn't quite put my life together. I am not hungry, I am eating enough.

All I do know is that I will tolerate it for another day. Day 4.

hugs all,

Michelle

Hi All. Celebrating my BDay today and my honey is in the kitchen cooking me up a surprise dinner. Last night my neighbor brought over an eclair from bakery for BDay cake. I ate it. Tomarrow I jump right back on the wagon

Hi All. Celebrating my BDay today and my honey is in the kitchen cooking me up a surprise dinner. Last night my neighbor brought over an eclair from bakery for BDay cake. I ate it. Tomarrow I jump right back on the wagon

Happy Birthday, Sunshine! How is your hubby with band friendly food? Hope you can enjoy your special dinner! Have a great celebration of the new you.

:happybday2::happybday::happybday2::happybday::happybday2:

:) :car: :eek:

Hope you had a GREAT birthday today!!

Happy Birthday a day late, Sunshine! Hope it was a good one!

Dynamo: Is Mah jongg hard to learn? I knew a few friends who used to have a group when I lived in Orlando, but I never had the time to join them. I've always been interested in learning, but never really had the opportunity. Are the games expensive, for the most part? How many people make a good game?

BJean - I have to say I am not a hardcore player, but the game takes four. It is a mixture of luck and skill. We like a 5th person to play so if someone can't make the group, the game goes on. Also, there is someone to fetch coffee, etc. You do need someone to show you the passing that preceeds the play. There is an elaborate system for tile passing. After that, it is pretty much take one tile, throw one tile or pick up the last tile and throw one tile, as everyone tries to make a pattern to earn a "Mah Jongg." In China it is played more like gin with simple patterns but more elaborate betting. American mah jongg has a card with patterns that is changed yearly. A standard set of tiles is between 55 - 100 dollars. Ebay has some sets, it is good to shop around. Is it hard? Well, not as hard as bridge, but harder than gin rummy. It is fun, social and stimulating. I highly recommend it. Sometimes local groups teach classes in how to. My mom showed my group how to play.

Hugs all,

Michelle

Hi everyone,

It is 11:30p.m. and I had my surgery this morning about 9:30. It went well. I got to come home today and was home by 4:30 p.m. after an hour's drive. I am pretty sore. It seems the port site is the most painful.

The MD gave me a prescripton for Mepergan (Demerol and Phenergan). I did not get them filled because they are pretty strong and I have some Ultraset which is non-narcotic. They seem to help quite a bit. That is what I am doing up again this late. Well looking forward to sharing my weight loss with you all and this journey unfolds.

Brenda:clap2:

Hi everyone,

It is 11:30p.m. and I had my surgery this morning about 9:30. It went well. I got to come home today and was home by 4:30 p.m. after an hour's drive. I am pretty sore. It seems the port site is the most painful.

The MD gave me a prescripton for Mepergan (Demerol and Phenergan). I did not get them filled because they are pretty strong and I have some Ultraset which is non-narcotic. They seem to help quite a bit. That is what I am doing up again this late. Well looking forward to sharing my weight loss with you all and this journey unfolds.

Brenda:clap2:

Congrats Southerngal! The port was the most painful for me as well. The next few days may get a little bumpy (some folks are more fortunate than others though and have an easier recovery!), but it is soooo worth it!

Hope you're one of the lucky ones and have a pain free recovery! :gluck:

southerngal:high5:

Congradulations! It's great to hear that all went well for you. BTW my name is Brenda too.

MOMLambert

Yes, he has tried to be diet friendly. (my band doesn't restrict me much). He made me stirfried shrimp, baked sweet potato, steamed broccoli, salad and lemon pound cake. It was toooo much food but, his selections were great.

PHYL:drum:

thanks for the party goodies smilies

Dynamo, Bjean, a all.:girl_hug:

Hey everyone, I just found all these super smilies. It's in the white happy face in menue above. Just click on 'show all smilies.' I have 2 monitors (for my work) on my computer and I just opened up the new smilie window and threw it on my other monitor.:wow2:

I like playing mah jongg on the computer. I can get really adicted to this. Same thing goes for Scrabble and Boggle. I don't play well with others, though; I am too impatient!

Nice to see you back, DynamoMini.