Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to report I was great and stayed the course today. I realize that I have "cheated" for months, everyday. Little stuff, but today no sugar. I am proud of myself. I know I can lose weight if I stay within range and have good eating habits.

:clap2:Glad you made it through the day without sugar! It's hard to crawl out of those down times (depression). Thank you for sharing. We can all learn from it. You concentrated on one thing you could change for one day, you made it and you'll feel better and stronger today! Hope you have a great day today!

I'm going to walk today instead of sitting here until it's time to get ready for work.:( Uh....think I just made a commitment too. One day at a time.

Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to report I was great and stayed the course today. I realize that I have "cheated" for months, everyday. Little stuff, but today no sugar. I am proud of myself. I know I can lose weight if I stay within range and have good eating habits.

South Beach diet is the best to follow. My PCP put me on it. Addiction to sweets is connected to spiking blood sugar, which leads to hunger and weight gain and can eventually lead to diabetes. If you follow the diet, the sugar cravings go away. To break the sugar addiction, you also have to avoid the foods that your body turns into sugar right away. The rate at which the body turns food into sugar is called the Glycemic index. The idea is for the body to turn food to sugar slowly so your blood sugar doesn't spike. For example Oat bran breads' GI is 68 while french baguette is 136. Or sweet potato is 63 while baked potato is 158!!!

This really does work. Now it is time for me to follow my own advice. I ate really high GI foods for Tday and have been on a sugar binge since then.

Congradulations on your no sugar day.:clap2:

Hey CArol in AZ, where are you in AZ? I will be going to Mesa in Feb.

I have found the best way to get rid of all cravings is to stick myself back on the liquid diet for a couple of days. I am not all that strict

on it, like we had to be post op. But I will drink a Protein Shake for dinner and lunch. If I am starving in the evenings, I will eat a piece of string cheese. A couple of days of this, and my sugar cravings are gone. I make sure I watch tv in another room that's not close to the refrigerator, and keep a 32 oz water bottle on my lap and sip Water all evening. I am down 3 lbs this am from this.

Thanks Everyone for sharing -

It does feel good to make a committment to myself and follow through. It adds to the core strength that seems to fly out the window when the sugar cravings are taking over. Addiction is a slippery slope. I want to be normal, but the reality is I am not, at least for right now.

My dream is to be able to maintain my weight by eating healthfully, my shape through exercise and my mental health by being able to indulge once in a while and end it right there.

I agree the South Beach really helps, I was a successful Optifast dieter 18 years ago (six months of liquids only), but when I went on solids I spiked up the 70 pounds I had lost. So the liquid Proteins are great suppliments for me, but not as my meal choice.

The Water intake definitely helps my body release the weight.

I appreciate your words of kindness and support. It is wonderful to not be doing this alone.

Hugs,

Michelle

Originally posted by luvsrocks

Thank you Ingyrob. I know I just have to commit to it. Did you build up to an hour or just go for it? Maybe I just need to do it and get over the aches & pains.

Thx again for your response.

I built up to the one hours walking. At first I had to walk a bit and then sit a bit and I gradually got to walking longer and then faster. I do not go really fast, but I walk as fast as I can. I suppose I would call it a power walk.

Good luck with your weight loss and your exercise

<TABLE class=tborder id=post635827 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e9e9e9 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e9e9e9 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e9e9e9 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e9e9e9 0px solid" width=175>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_635827 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e9e9e9 1px solid"><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to report I was great and stayed the course today. I realize that I have "cheated" for months, everyday. Little stuff, but today no sugar. I am proud of myself. I know I can lose weight if I stay within range and have good eating habits

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Well done Dynamomini, You will get there in the end. At the moment sweets and chocolates are all over the place, I even bought my co-workers two large tins of them. However I have not eaten them and I am not tempted. So it is possible to give up processed sugar.

I was very bad today. I ate so many Cookies at work, that I just about made myself sick. I wish cookies got stuck.

I have to do better tomorrow. I am afraid to get on the scale. I don't know what is wrong with me these days.

I was very bad today. I ate so many Cookies at work, that I just about made myself sick. I wish cookies got stuck.

I have to do better tomorrow. I am afraid to get on the scale. I don't know what is wrong with me these days.

Denise, there's nothing wrong w/ you that isn't wrong w/ many of the rest of us! Like some others have said, it's the sugar (hey, you know...alcohol is sugar too come to think of it! maybe that has a lot to do w/ that type of addiction as well). I agree, the more you cut out, the less you want. Unfortunately, my sugar addiction is stronger than my desire to be thin.

As for getting on the scale, maybe you should stay off of it a couple of days until you've been *good* for a while. I do that when I know I'm going to get angry w/ myself about the numbers and even though they're usually not where I want them to be, they're not as bad as I anticipated. Be kind to yourself!!!

I went for a fill yesterday...only got .25 and the nurse said I shouldn't come back for 6 weeks and even then may want to call and reschedule it. I have good restriction and have had for the past several weeks. Fortunately, it's been during Thanksgiving, our family's big get together time, and although the scales have gone up a tiny bit, they've come back down a lot quicker.

The nurse also fussed at me about exercising. I just hate it...I'm such a slug!!! I got on the treadmill the other day and it died, so I'm hoping Santa will bring me a new one as well as the desire to use it!

Even w/ the ups and downs this time of the year brings, I'm happy to say I'm finally in Onederland! I haven't been this weight in just years and years! I still have about 60 pounds to go, but am going to try and get really serious over Christmas break (I work at a college) and start the year out right.

Luvsrocks, you asked us if we'd do it again...my answer is a definite YES! Even though I still struggle, I finally feel like I am overcoming donkey's years of poor eating habits. Yes, it's a slow process, but w/ the band, I feel like I'll make it.

Happy holidays to you all and hang tough! :hippie::high5:

Crabcake

I've noticed that the people I know who are alcoholic don't eat sweets very much. But, when they quit drinking they become sugar addicts.

Crabcake, everything you said you have been me talking. I struggle with sugar everyday. I guess I really need to find a way to give it up, but addictions are so hard to fight. I have finally gotten over my need to weight everyday. I found weighting everyday only depressed me when it wasn't the numbers I wanted to see.

I go next week for another fill, but not sure I want on right now. My portion size is still to big, but I do have trouble eating meat.< /p>

As for excerise I guess I'm just lazy. I can find so many other things to do.

But as always tomorrow is a new day. So we can't beat ourself up over the small things as long as we do let the small things get of control.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on.

HI Everybody -

I just want to report another good day - two in a row. I am committed to having a good day again. The trick for me is staying totally away from the white carbs. Foods with lower Glycemic Indexes are better for me and cut my cravings.

Denise - you are not BAD, you just made poor food choices. Been there, done that for SEVERAL months. You will feel great if you commit to a day without junk, and do the day at a time, until you are back on track. I can't believe it is working for me.

Tonight I have a Maj Jongg game with the goodies all over. But I am determined to stay the course, so I will bring my yogurt (night time treat). Planning ahead will help I hope. I sure want to feel good about myself.

Confession - About the scale Denise, I don't know. I was such a scale whore in the beginning, gave it up because it was interferring with good thinking, did fine for a while weighing once a week, ate crazy for several months, refused to get on for several weeks (not a good idea), now I have to say I weighed every day since I've been good. I know this is CRAZY behavior, but I don't know how to normalize it. So, bottom line, I understand your reluctance to get on the scale, but know that ignoring it, as a feedback system, doesn't work and also praying to it, as a god, doesn't work either. Any thoughts anyone??

I am measuring monthly with my trainer, that has been good. Nothing really changes if I don't lose weight, but will grow again if I do.

Hugs and befuddled in Denver,

Michelle

Tonight I have a Maj Jongg game with the goodies all over. But I am determined to stay the course, so I will bring my yogurt (night time treat). Planning ahead will help I hope. I sure want to feel good about myself.

Maj Jongg, huh? Wow. I haven't met anyone who plays except for me--I learned in Japan and have a great set but no one to play with. :cry Want to come to Utah? Do you play American rules or Japanese/Chinese. Just curious. Have a great time! I'm so envious.

Hi everyone, Friday is my surgery day for my lap band. I am very excited and a little nervous. I am glad I have all of you here to ask questions and to share experiences with. Keep your fingers crossed for me that everything goes well. Maybe say a little prayer for me. Brenda

Thanks to all for the good advice about sugar - I'm going to recommit to no sugar for a few days, too!

Michelle and Momlambert - I am in a Majongg group, too. We have been playing for about 17 years and are only able to meet about 4 times a year. We play by very "loose" rules (i.e. we play all hands open) but we have a great time. Every year or two we take a "road trip" for a weekend.

Southerngal - I wish you the best for Friday. We'll be here to answer your questions. It's quite a journey!

I am going in tomorrow for a slight fill. I had an emergency de-fill two weeks ago so I doubt she will give me much. But I have no restriction now so wish me luck!

I am looking forward to getting a fill too. I go in the middle of Dec but I wish it was sooner.

I can actually do really well with staying away from sugar. Then it's like something takes over and I go nuts. I did only gain 1 lb from all the Cookies.< /p>

I am glad to say that I love exercise. I love going to the gym. I am happy that I have made that such a habit that I hate when I miss a day.