Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Ah, the facelift.... Well, it still feels weird, like large portions of my face have been made out of wood or something. This is because the nerve endings were severed and it will take time for them to reattach. :phanvan And I am still a little swollen but, yah, I look good. :Banane20: My husband says that I look like a movie star but then he always thinks that I look fab. :( I guess love is blind. :heh:

Indio....Good to hear from you....So do you plan on YEARLY physicals from now on? Sounds like you spent a lot of time at the doctors office/hospital with those tests...and 14 vials of blood!!!! Good Grief! what could they have been looking for??? Thank you all for your good humor and support....I think I'm going to need a lot of both!!!:(

Carol

Yes Carol - I will go for my mamo - pap yearly - suppose to have my blood ck'd at 6 months - all the blood was for all the vitimans and then some.. Colon don't have to do for another 5 i think...

I am 56, banded in January 07, and I've lost over 100 pounds. It dropped off...then I had Fluid removed because I was too tight, and didn't lose for 3 months, crept up 8 pounds. Now fluid back in and lost the 8 plus 4 more. SO...I'm doing great and feel the best I've ever felt. Before and after photos are incredible! I'll never do that again!

Beachbon - Congrats on the 100 lbs good - you are an inspiration...

Ah, the facelift.... Well, it still feels weird, like large portions of my face have been made out of wood or something. This is because the nerve endings were severed and it will take time for them to reattach. :phanvan And I am still a little swollen but, yah, I look good. :Banane20: My husband says that I look like a movie star but then he always thinks that I look fab. :Banane20: I guess love is blind. :heh:

Green - I am glad you are doing better and really wish you would change your mind and post pics..

Well my Dh thinks I look good just the way I am. Which is probably why he keeps tempting me with goodies. So I am fighting myself and him.

My Xdh never knew how much i weighed - there were times when i weighted more than him...:( and he isn't a skinny guy :omg:

As far as anyone temping me - nope - this is the good part of being single - I don't buy it so it's not there - I only go out to eat maybe once every 2 weeks with gf from work. But then again - I don't have anyone at home looking over my shoulder saying "are you suppose to eat that"

That - doesn't work for me - just makes me want to eat more.... This is the rebel part of me - please don't tell me not to do it - cuz then i will want to do it just cuz i was told no... OMG I am a 52 yr old brat :heh:

INDIGOI'm a 62 yr old brat.:( All I need is someone acting like a parent and tell me I shouldn't do somthing.

Mistymoon

I've read that often our honeys have a secret fear that we will get slim and leave them. That is why they will often sabatage us. :faint:

Ya - NMSunshine - that's the whole point of being a grown up - no one telling you what to do...

Hello everyone, and congrats to all of you. I have been reading what you all have been chating about but no time to reply. My DH fell and broke his hip, so my life has been centered around him. Hurrying to do his part time jobs (Trash route, paper route, annd some cleaning jobs) as well as drive school bus. So the walking I had been doing is down the toilet. I'm eating to fast so you know what that means, barfing, barfing, and some more barfing !!! Well he just yelled down to me that the timer on the oven has gone off. So much for a few minutes on the computor thank for being here when I have time. Bonnie

INDIOGIRL

You got it:bandit. But, there are some people out there who think it is their 'calling' to police the rest of us......:angry

To ALL

I think I had my first experience with the 'barfing' feeling. I was eating some ham fast and without chewing it very well. I could feel the ham going down ( only rarely have I felt something going down), when suddenly I began to feel nauseated. I stopped eating.

Since I got my band I haven't had a PB or a throw-up. I really expected something to happen after the first fill. Nothing. My restriction just hasn't been there, except for a few days.

4 days ago (2 weeks after 1st fill) I began feeling a little restriction. It has slowly increased and now the first nausea thing. Looks like my fill may be working after all.

Does anyone know why the mystery of 2 weeks after fill, restriction may begin??? Has anyone else had this experience?:help:

Hello everyone, and congrats to all of you. I have been reading what you all have been chating about but no time to reply. My DH fell and broke his hip, so my life has been centered around him. Hurrying to do his part time jobs (Trash route, paper route, annd some cleaning jobs) as well as drive school bus. So the walking I had been doing is down the toilet. I'm eating to fast so you know what that means, barfing, barfing, and some more barfing !!! Well he just yelled down to me that the timer on the oven has gone off. So much for a few minutes on the computor thank for being here when I have time. Bonnie

Bonnie - Sorry to hear you are having such troubles - :):girl_hug::)

Well with all your jobs you should be getting enought exercise:eek:

I can barely do my job - get in my 30 minimum exercise and deal with my house and I am single w/16 yr grandson.. To Do do your own job - his and the stuff around the house - props to you for being such a strong woman (See what i tell you guys all the time WE ARE STRONG WOMEN - I bet you 10 to 1 a man couldn't:p)

Ok gang I want you to know i am having a sliver and i mean sliver of the worlds best choc cake (it's the size of those thin breads by northridge i think 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 1/4 thick... A girl in our office makes the BEST choc cake (hersery powder) to die for.) But you know what - i have only eaten 1/4 and it's really not as good as i remember I think I will do the Better in Thee (trash) Than In Me trick - OK YES

I JUST THREW IT AWAY :clap2: - I AM STRONG I AM WOMAN - -

:biggrin1:

INDIOGIRL

You got it:bandit. But, there are some people out there who think it is their 'calling' to police the rest of us......:angry

To ALL

I think I had my first experience with the 'barfing' feeling. I was eating some ham fast and without chewing it very well. I could feel the ham going down ( only rarely have I felt something going down), when suddenly I began to feel nauseated. I stopped eating.

Since I got my band I haven't had a PB or a throw-up. I really expected something to happen after the first fill. Nothing. My restriction just hasn't been there, except for a few days.

4 days ago (2 weeks after 1st fill) I began feeling a little restriction. It has slowly increased and now the first nausea thing. Looks like my fill may be working after all.

Does anyone know why the mystery of 2 weeks after fill, restriction may begin??? Has anyone else had this experience?:help:

Sunshine - I am the food cop (angel) on the Lucky #7 thread :)!!!!!

Put that candy down NOW - you don't need it... :)

Yes I have heard that it can take 2 weeks to feel the fill. If i eat pudding too fast i will pb....

Indio....Good to hear from you....So do you plan on YEARLY physicals from now on? Sounds like you spent a lot of time at the doctors office/hospital with those tests...and 14 vials of blood!!!! Good Grief! what could they have been looking for???

Green...I am a disorganized organizer---piles of paperwork here there and everywhere---in the end it somehow ends up all in one pile and I'm good to go---I amaze me!

I will be a member of the 'Free Em Gang' ONLY until I trip and fall over them!!!

Phyl...How long did it take you to go from the initial meeting to the operating room?

Thank you all for your good humor and support....I think I'm going to need a lot of both!!!:)

Carol

I went to a seminar in Palm Springs last winter but then had to find a doctor in WA that took Medicare and the whole "Center of Excellence" thing, so my first appointment with the surgeon was the beginning of May and surgery was July 20.

My Xdh never knew how much i weighed - there were times when i weighted more than him...:) and he isn't a skinny guy :omg:

As far as anyone temping me - nope - this is the good part of being single - I don't buy it so it's not there - I only go out to eat maybe once every 2 weeks with gf from work. But then again - I don't have anyone at home looking over my shoulder saying "are you suppose to eat that"

That - doesn't work for me - just makes me want to eat more.... This is the rebel part of me - please don't tell me not to do it - cuz then i will want to do it just cuz i was told no... OMG I am a 52 yr old brat :heh:

Yeah, DH is really bugging me lately. He's gotten a little better but I always see him checking out what I'm eating. And when I ask for my afternoon glass of wine I'm lucky if he gives me 1/2 glass. I usually just wait until he's busy doing something else and go fill it up! He makes me use these very small glasses and then gives me 1/2. It's really irritating. I'm mad at him today. Can you tell?? He's been a real pill all day... crabby and mean. So since he was already being a jerk, I decided it would be a good day to tell him I bought a new pair of shoes the other day. Since he was already in that mood, might as well give him something to really sulk about. I had them hidden in the bottom of my closet in the RV but I kept trying to figure out how I would ever be able to wear them if I didn't let him know I bought them!! :) He hates when I buy shoes or purses.

Ok, my DH won a cruise (it's not as cool as you'd think...we've already spent 3 times as much as the tickets cost just on the little extras!). I have NO clothes. I wasn't planning on buying any until I reached 'the size'! Now I look at clothes online and I'm looking at at least $500 worth of clothes just for this itty bitty cruise!

Neither one of us is terribly excited about this (although, I'd happily go if I could just show up in my jeans and dirty t-shirt, book and dh in tow!). We're just not the cruise kind of folks if you know what I mean!

Well, to top it off, I've picked out enough clothes for the 4 days (4 days!!!!), but when I took my measurements to make sure I was ordering the right size, it's a whole lot bigger than what I've been buying lately. I've been wearing an 18 from Orvis (in case you haven't realized it yet, I NEVER go out shopping in retail stores - yuck!), but I'm ordering clothes from the Woman Within (what a STUPID name! my woman within wears a size 8!!!) which I think used to be Lane Bryant.

My question is...has anyone purchased clothes from WW? Do they run large, or true to size? I seriously don't want to buy these things in the first place, but I definitely don't want to have to return them. The cruise is Dec 13-16. I'd love to just forget the whole thing!!!

Oh, we looked into giving the tickets away...you can give one away, but not two!!! What do they really care????? If someone WANTS to go on the cruise, they'd probably spend more on board than those of us who don't want to!!!

Oh, please...would I be stupid to just cancel the whole thing and tell them to keep the change???

Thanks girls. Not everyone would understand my dilemma!

Ok, my DH won a cruise (it's not as cool as you'd think...we've already spent 3 times as much as the tickets cost just on the little extras!). I have NO clothes. I wasn't planning on buying any until I reached 'the size'! Now I look at clothes online and I'm looking at at least $500 worth of clothes just for this itty bitty cruise!

Neither one of us is terribly excited about this (although, I'd happily go if I could just show up in my jeans and dirty t-shirt, book and dh in tow!). We're just not the cruise kind of folks if you know what I mean!

Well, to top it off, I've picked out enough clothes for the 4 days (4 days!!!!), but when I took my measurements to make sure I was ordering the right size, it's a whole lot bigger than what I've been buying lately. I've been wearing an 18 from Orvis (in case you haven't realized it yet, I NEVER go out shopping in retail stores - yuck!), but I'm ordering clothes from the Woman Within (what a STUPID name! my woman within wears a size 8!!!) which I think used to be Lane Bryant.

My question is...has anyone purchased clothes from WW? Do they run large, or true to size? I seriously don't want to buy these things in the first place, but I definitely don't want to have to return them. The cruise is Dec 13-16. I'd love to just forget the whole thing!!!

Oh, we looked into giving the tickets away...you can give one away, but not two!!! What do they really care????? If someone WANTS to go on the cruise, they'd probably spend more on board than those of us who don't want to!!!

Oh, please...would I be stupid to just cancel the whole thing and tell them to keep the change???

Thanks girls. Not everyone would understand my dilemma!

Nah, don't cancel!! Just go. You'll enjoy it. I've ordered TONS of clothes from WW.... from back when they were Lane Bryant until recently. Clothes pretty much run true to size. I get their catalogs & there's a size chart inside, so there's probably one online, too. But, true confessions, frankly I buy a lot of clothes at Wal-Mart! Everyday type stuff, especially tops. I really like Lands End and you can get them at Sears now but they don't always have a lot of the plus sizes and I need a 2X or 3X. I'm able to wear a lot of 2X now. I recently found 3-4 Lands End things ON SALE at Sears, really cheap. Just take comfy stuff and a couple of dressier things. I've been on lots of cruises and the last one, I didn't even take a dress, just nice slacks and a couple of dressy tops. It was fine, even on formal nights. There are still some who dress up in tuxedos & evening gowns, but the majority keep it somewhat simpler. Not like 10 years or so ago. So, don't go crazy buying a lot of new clothes.