Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Thanks for imput. I just came from my doctors support group and think I am going to call to have another fill this week. Found out that one member who had the surgery in nov has a leak in her port which I guess is where the leaks occur. She is having a new port put in tomorrow How they found out by testing inserting needle in and seeing that the amount left in was way below what it should show. She has only lost 20 I will have them test me for that too.

Thanks again

Hi,

I am so glad to find this thread. I am 55 and planning on getting banded hopefully by Dec. 07 or Jan 08. I am in the planning stages and am so excited. Its really nice to hear there are others that are over 50 doing the same thing. I am soooooo glad to find all of you. Let me hear from any of you about your experiences.

Same here - the band is a tool not a cure. It has taught me about me eating habits, sometimes it's a love affair, sometimes I hate it. But what I am confronting with the band is that I have an addiction and behaviors that have supported that addiction, that have to change if I want a different, healthy lifestyle.

Hi,

I am so glad to find this thread. I am 55 and planning on getting banded hopefully by Dec. 07 or Jan 08. I am in the planning stages and am so excited. Its really nice to hear there are others that are over 50 doing the same thing. I am soooooo glad to find all of you. Let me hear from any of you about your experiences.

Southerngal - Welcome - This is the VERY BEST place for info and support - my fav group is this one - I post on other threads and belong to the lucky #7 (a thread for those banded in July) but this is my fav.

The women here are the BEST - they tell it like it is - they are honest and supportive - I have only been here 3 months - but truely feel that i have made a new group of freinds - it just too bad we are all over the USA so we can't meet in person cuz I would LOVE to)

Read all that you can, ask questions and good luck on your Quest of a healthier life -

Same here - the band is a tool not a cure. It has taught me about me eating habits, sometimes it's a love affair, sometimes I hate it. But what I am confronting with the band is that I have an addiction and behaviors that have supported that addiction, that have to change if I want a different, healthy lifestyle.

Michelle - Well said as usual - I think that what we must stress over and over again that this is NOT the cure all to our food issues, as imho i think some think that it is and that's why they are dissappointed in it.

Hi to all - I have been on here for 45 minutes this a.m. and I gotta get back to work - Too bad they don't pay me for posting here?:nervous Gotta go do what they do pay me for :cry. Will ck in later - Hope you all have a GREAT DAY... :)

Janet

Well another day, another dollar - Janet?

I am packing up for the weekend art show. I am so excited about doing this. In the process, as is always the case, my partner and I have met a few people who want to show our art. The latest, was a Kinkos. He owns a coffee shop in downtown Denver and loved our whimsical ladies and wants us to show our stuff. Amazing how the law of attraction works when you are happily doing what you are supposed to do.

Be well, I did binge last night, as my partner's mom fell and broke her hip, not an auspicious beginning, just worry set me off, but I was ready to do the show alone too, after thinking it through several Cookies, a cup of ice cream, some stale bagel chips, you all get the idea. I did log everything that I ate and it was 1560 calories, give or take a few. So not crazy, but it hasn't taken me a month or two to rein in again. Yeah me!

Hugs,

Michelle

old habits die very hard....I have had a battle with food for about 10 weeks now as I have gone through tests/diagnoses/scans/uptakes/biopsy and finally a nuclear radiation treatment for what the doctors determined as Graves...a problem with an overactive thyroid. I am happy to say it is over as of last Monday as I have been treated and hopefully all willbe well...but it did not stop me from wanting/craving chocolate eclairs--thank G-d I couldn't find a good bakery to buy them so I slid by--but it would have been my answer to shoving down the feelings I was having over this whole issue--how dare my body betray me after I have lost over 100lbs!!!! Those old thought and patterns are hard to change--and even w/ the band I probably would not have been too sucessful shovling them down but the desire was OVERWHELMING!! The condition made me feel very anxious....as if my plate were so full I couldn't have walked one more step...I thank you all for this support and the forum to express whats on our minds without judgement....

I am glad the band helps with binges. I can eat some of the foods I used to binge on. Ice cream is definitely the exception. While I was in Arizona visiting my dad, it as about 112 outside, and I wanted ice cream every night. I managed to only have it once, because I could talk myself out of driving to the dairy queen.

I am happy I didn't gain any weight on vacation. I am getting a fill the beginning of next month and I hope that makes me start losing again.

Well another day, another dollar - Janet? that's it in a nutshell

I am packing up for the weekend art show.

What kind of Art - I don't think I knew you did this - I would love to paint - a hobby i will start when I retire - need to take some classes but I did some as a child and i did ok if i do say so my self :Banane20:

I did binge last night, just worry set me off, but I was ready to do the show alone too, after thinking it through several Cookies, a cup of ice cream, some stale bagel chips, you all get the idea. I did log everything that I ate and it was 1560 calories, give or take a few. So not crazy, but it hasn't taken me a month or two to rein in again. Yeah me!

You didn't do too bad :)

1500 for the daty isn't the titanic sinking :Banane20:

I try and keep my daily calories at 1000 - 1200... I personally don't think it's healthy to go under 1000 (imho). I might not be losing as fast as those who only eat 800 a day - but i am fine with that - I don't want to loose my hair:eek:

Hugs,

Michelle

old habits die very hard.... Doctors determined as Graves...a problem with an overactive thyroid. I am happy to say it is over as of last Monday as I have been treated and hopefully all willbe well...but it did not stop me from wanting/craving chocolate eclairs--I thank you all for this support and the forum to express whats on our minds without judgement....

Sweetviolet - Hope your treatment goes well for your Graves... Old habits - us older folks have had them a lot longer than the younger set and I agree that they die hard - if at all... I think it's a daily battle and i don't see it stopping anytime soon - my only answer for myself is not to buy the junk. :)

I am glad the band helps with binges. I can eat some of the foods I used to binge on. . I managed to only have it once, because I could talk myself out of driving to the dairy queen.

I am happy I didn't gain any weight on vacation. I am getting a fill the beginning of next month and I hope that makes me start losing again.

Denise - I am lazy I will rarely (not Never but rarely) get up, get dressed to drive to the other side of town to buy junk.. But they are building tons of retail by my new housing tract - so I am going to have to be really care cuz now the stores will be in walking distant.

I guess I am lucky - cuz I still am a newbie - so my determination to win this battle hasn't worn off - this goes to not buying junk and eating bad - execpt for last weekend ate (4) cheese enchallidas - but didn't go anywhere to buy the stuff had it in the house :0)

I can't wait for my 1st fill on 9/5 - cuz i feel that i am eating too much but really i don't think i am - my problems is nite like most of us - I wish we could find the answer to this problem :help: cuz then we would be MILLIONAIRES :whoo:

Well, lunch is over - gotta go make that $$$$ - Talk to you all later and Michelle would love to see your art!!!

Just curious I know it is not the cure all and we all still have to get our minds into it too, which it has helped me think........But I have a question, even though I have been banded since 9/06, slower learner I guess, why is it that sometimes you practically can't eat anything and for dinner tonight, had gone to sams club and picked up some chicken corden blue , except it was filled with brocelli. You know the size you see that are stuffed. Well I ate the whole thing, and was still wanting food so had a sugar free fudge bar and then 6 bagel chips. No pb or anything, did eat very small bites though.......Any words of wisdom from a group of individuals full of wisdom

That's a good question, Linda. I don't know what the exact answer is, but most people are more "open" during dinner and have a hard time earlier in the day.

So many things can affect the band. One thing is how hydrated we are. A lot of women say when it's their time of the month they are tight. Since I have gone through meno, I don't have that issue. Flying can make it tight too. I could barely eat during my layover when I flew home on Wed.

Hi Everyone, I haven't been around for a couple of weeks and just got caught up on reading the posts... Thank you all so much for being so honest about posting your cravings. I will be banded in October and I think I will go get me a set of baby utensils so I will be reminded to take those small bites. I am ok with 3 meals a day, but I eat waaaay too much at those meals.. I have a real problem with moderation and the plate must be clean before I remove it from the table.... I am so looking forward to my banding and helping me to eat in moderation and healthy..

I am much more comfortable in knowing that I can still eat some of my favorite foods, just less of it at a sitting... And thanks for the info on the night eating, cause that is when I have cravings for sweets. I keep having these talks with myself but, if I can have a fudgescicle I will be a happy camper and not feel as though I am depraving myself.. ;)

old habits die very hard....I have had a battle with food for about 10 weeks now as I have gone through tests/diagnoses/scans/uptakes/biopsy and finally a nuclear radiation treatment for what the doctors determined as Graves...a problem with an overactive thyroid. I am happy to say it is over as of last Monday as I have been treated and hopefully all willbe well...but it did not stop me from wanting/craving chocolate eclairs--thank G-d I couldn't find a good bakery to buy them so I slid by--but it would have been my answer to shoving down the feelings I was having over this whole issue--how dare my body betray me after I have lost over 100lbs!!!! Those old thought and patterns are hard to change--and even w/ the band I probably would not have been too sucessful shovling them down but the desire was OVERWHELMING!! The condition made me feel very anxious....as if my plate were so full I couldn't have walked one more step...I thank you all for this support and the forum to express whats on our minds without judgement....

for those OVERWHELMING times:kiss2:

post-220490-138131353925_thumb.jpg

After all of your help and advice, I finally went a few days ago and got a quarter of a fill removed, and now i can FINALLY EAT!!! The food is going down good!! I waited 7 weeks too long!! And, they pulled out all of the Fluid and every drop was still in there! I feel good now. !!!!!! The fill had just been too much, so now they know how much I need each time, not much!!:whoo:

Hi Everyone, I haven't been around for a couple of weeks and just got caught up on reading the posts... Thank you all so much for being so honest about posting your cravings. I will be banded in October and I think I will go get me a set of baby utensils so I will be reminded to take those small bites. I am ok with 3 meals a day, but I eat waaaay too much at those meals.. I have a real problem with moderation and the plate must be clean before I remove it from the table.... I am so looking forward to my banding and helping me to eat in moderation and healthy..

I am much more comfortable in knowing that I can still eat some of my favorite foods, just less of it at a sitting... And thanks for the info on the night eating, cause that is when I have cravings for sweets. I keep having these talks with myself but, if I can have a fudgescicle I will be a happy camper and not feel as though I am depraving myself.. :lol:

Nickanut - I try and eat lite in the morning & for lunch - I save most of my calorie budget for nites - I did this with WW - Jenny Craig etc I save 200 - 300 calories for my night time snack (i don't have one between Breakfast & lunch nor between lunch & dinner) I usually end up eating 2 sf double choc puddings 60 cal each & 1 heathly request fudge cycle 80 and maybe a teaspoon of peanutbutter. I use sandwich plates and a 1 cup bowl for my meals and have small forks & spoons. Good Luck - We are here for you any time you have a question, want to vent - whatever you need,

After all of your help and advice, I finally went a few days ago and got a quarter of a fill removed, and now i can FINALLY EAT!!! The food is going down good!! I waited 7 weeks too long!! And, they pulled out all of the Fluid and every drop was still in there! I feel good now. !!!!!! The fill had just been too much, so now they know how much I need each time, not much!!:whoo:

Margi - That's GREAT !!!! I want a fill but at the same time a little afraid. I have restriction now but could use just a tad more.

I am glad you can EAT.. there is nothing worst than not eating ;) even if it is 1/4 of what we ate before:rolleyes: