Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Ithink being strong is important and for some reason when I tell my friends and family' date=' I turn into silly putty and worry more.[/i'][/b] Please give us a posting because we will be thinking of you tomorrow!

BJEAN - yes this is me to a "T" I think that if we don't put it out there it won't be true... Just like closet eating - if no one see us it doesn't count :)

I won't have results until next Tues or Wed - but i will keep you posted as soon as i know..

again THANKS for every ones support

tell me about it! w/out them, all i see is shapes and colors!

what time is your appt?

My appt was at 1 pm - it went fine - I did cried a little as they were doing the core extractions - it became real as i was lying on that table with my boob hanging thru this whole in a vise like thingie and they were in there chopping up the calcifications.

My sister had this too and infact it was her right breast too - they leave a little metal marker in there so in your mamograms they know this area has been tested.. My sister was fine and the tech said that increases my chances of being fine. So instead of me and my sis having matching tattoo's we have matching markers in our boob ;)

I should know tuesday afternoon how it went - I will let you all know as soon as i know.

Thanks again for all the support - I am doing good and thinking positive thought...

xoxox

Janet

You know the rubbery wrist bands that Lance Armstrong started with... ??? Everyone has them now... We banders need one too!

There is a teal wrist band. Write to:

Mills_Don@allergan.com

Tell him you are having band surgery. They will mail you one for free.

I am getting nervous. Eating everything not nailed down. Monday I start on FULL liquids, all I can think of is "liquids in..liquids out". So, I know what I will be doing all day Monday and Tuesday !

Hi all,

It has been awhile since I posted anything,as I originally had a surgery date for July 16 and had to postpone because they found a hyiatal hernia. Went to my surgeon yesterday and set a new date for the 7th of August. Am excited yet scared. I'm on coumadin so have to give myself injections of Lovenox for 4 days before and 9 days after.. Dr. Olsen will be doing my surgery at Cennential in Nashville. I'm older than most of you and sometimes think I must be crazy for doing this. Just pray that I am making the right decision.

Thanks,;) for all your posts. I've been reading them but haven't posted much.

Thanks again

Hi all,

It has been awhile since I posted anything,as I originally had a surgery date for July 16 and had to postpone because they found a hyiatal hernia. Went to my surgeon yesterday and set a new date for the 7th of August. Am excited yet scared. I'm on coumadin so have to give myself injections of Lovenox for 4 days before and 9 days after.. Dr. Olsen will be doing my surgery at Cennential in Nashville. I'm older than most of you and sometimes think I must be crazy for doing this. Just pray that I am making the right decision.

Thanks,;) for all your posts. I've been reading them but haven't posted much.

Thanks again

We are never too old to try to get healthier! Good luck to you on your surgery. Praying for a speedy recovery.

ckpw: Did they repair the hiatal hernia? Or did you just get it calmed down?

You're not THAT much older than some of us, and I read at least one other person who was 70 when he had it done.

Get your determined cap on. The band is not as risky or life altering as gastric bypass, but it isn't a cure-all either. We still have to use a lot of effort to get the weight off. At least I do and many others whose posts I've read.

Most of us who are still struggling to lose weight, post surgery, are not sorry we had the band though. We all lost weight initially and we're thankful for that. We all have high hopes that we will be able to get the rest of the weight off as well. It just does not come off as quickly after the first 30-40 lbs as it did in the beginning. I only tell you this because you should have realistic expectations going in. We're to think of this as a two-year plan, I was told. I thought I could do it in one. I was wrong.

Other LB patients might argue with me. There are several people who have breezed through losing 100 lbs. in the first 6-8 months. But I don't think there are any guarantees with this procedure and it is really up to the individual to achieve the desired results.

Best wishes for your up coming surgery. My doc repaired my hiatal hernia when I had the LB surgery and it has helped tremendously!:whoo:

By the way, the recovery from surgery is pretty much a breeze for most people. ;)

I am getting nervous. Eating everything not nailed down. Monday I start on FULL liquids, all I can think of is "liquids in..liquids out". So, I know what I will be doing all day Monday and Tuesday !

2BTHINAGN - I ate everything in site until i had to go on my pre-op and even my pre-op i had to modify cuz doing liquids for a week wasn't cutting it - I too had Clear Liquids for 2 days prior to surgery - being the bad person that i am i really only did one day which included a colon cleanse :omg: You will be find - Prayer to you for a safe and speedy recovery - I hope that you will be as glad as i am about my band

Hi all,

Thanks,:) for all your posts. I've been reading them but haven't posted much.

Thanks again

CKBW - IMHO you are doing something posititive to be healthy how can that be wrong. This is a tool that some of us NEED.. Prayers & Good thought to you..

We are never too old to try to get healthier! Good luck to you on your surgery. Praying for a speedy recovery.
AMEN TO THAT !!!
ckpw: Did they repair the hiatal hernia? Or did you just get it calmed down?

You're not THAT much older than some of us, and I read at least one other person who was 70 when he had it done.

Get your determined cap on. The band is not as risky or life altering as gastric bypass, but it isn't a cure-all either. We still have to use a lot of effort to get the weight off. At least I do and many others whose posts I've read.

Most of us who are still struggling to lose weight, post surgery, are not sorry we had the band though. We all lost weight initially and we're thankful for that. We all have high hopes that we will be able to get the rest of the weight off as well. It just does not come off as quickly after the first 30-40 lbs as it did in the beginning. I only tell you this because you should have realistic expectations going in. We're to think of this as a two-year plan, I was told. I thought I could do it in one. I was wrong.

Other LB patients might argue with me. There are several people who have breezed through losing 100 lbs. in the first 6-8 months. But I don't think there are any guarantees with this procedure and it is really up to the individual to achieve the desired results.

Best wishes for your up coming surgery. My doc repaired my hiatal hernia when I had the LB surgery and it has helped tremendously!:whoo:

By the way, the recovery from surgery is pretty much a breeze for most people. ;)

BJEAN - this is the 100% truth - I think that some bander thought that this was that magic bullet when it's not - it is a tool and you have to work at this too - I think (imho) that - that's what people don't realize and they end up being uphappy about being banded - saying it didn't work -

Indiogirl: You are so right!! As for me, it came as a bit of a surprise because the first few months after surgery were so EASY! I thought it would always be like that. Heaven knows that I was told and read many, many times that the band is only a tool and that we can't rely on it to do the work for us. I am still ahead of the game at 40 lbs lighter. I'm not complaining, I am just hoping that I can get my act together and git 'er done!

Thanks, Yes, my surgeon is planning on repairing the hernia when he puts the band in.

I have lost almost a hundred pounds at least 3 times in my life and gained it all back. I know I can lose the weight but can't keep it off . I'm hopeful that the band will help me as I think I will be eating the same way after I've lost.

Hi all. I haven't posted in a while. I went for my 1 week check up and my doc told me I could progress to soft foods for a week and the move to solids, going slowly and testing the foods to make sure I did ok. I have had egg salad, refried Beans, yogurt, black bean Soup, and today, watermelon. The watermelon was devine. and easy to eat.

Indiogirl, I pray that your tests turn out as well as your sister's.

lessofme and IndioGirl - I'm thinking positive thoughts for you!

ckbw - I had a hiatal hernia that I didn't even know I had and the doctor repaired it when my band was put on. My recovery seemed pretty consistent with everyone else's so I don't think it's a major problem. Maybe because of the extra swelling from its repair, I didn't get hungry after surgery for days. Good luck!

lessofme and IndioGirl - I'm thinking positive thoughts for you!

ckbw - I had a hiatal hernia that I didn't even know I had and the doctor repaired it when my band was put on. My recovery seemed pretty consistent with everyone else's so I don't think it's a major problem. Maybe because of the extra swelling from its repair, I didn't get hungry after surgery for days. Good luck!

DITTO! Same story with my surgery and hiatal hernia. And, especially, DITTO for the positive thoughts coming your way. May you feel peace in your lives and in your hearts.

Hello everyone, I just found this thread and have enjoyed reading about us over 50 folks.. :)

I am scheduled for my band surgery in October and I'm getting excited for it, but at the same time I'm a little aprehensive about no longer being able to eat some of my favorite foods, such as my homemade meatloaf, Beans and cornbread, chicken and dumpllings, etc... How have all of you been able to give up some of your favorite foods and is it as difficult as I'm thinking it is going to be? I would love to hear how you cope with it.

Thanks to all of you kind folks out there in bandland..

Hello everyone, I just found this thread and have enjoyed reading about us over 50 folks.. :)

I am scheduled for my band surgery in October and I'm getting excited for it, but at the same time I'm a little aprehensive about no longer being able to eat some of my favorite foods, such as my homemade meatloaf, Beans and cornbread, chicken and dumpllings, etc... How have all of you been able to give up some of your favorite foods and is it as difficult as I'm thinking it is going to be? I would love to hear how you cope with it.

Thanks to all of you kind folks out there in bandland..

Maybe you won't have to give up anything...I'm trying to eat sensibly (oh how I try sometimes! :)), but still eat the things I like too. The only things I've had consistent problems w/ is rolls and I shouldn't be eating those anyway. Seems like every time I try them, something gets stuck. I did that tonight. Spent the rest of the evening in the bathroom upchucking! Ugh! But for the most part, as long as I've chewed well, I've been able to eat most things. I've read where others on the list can too. All the things you mentioned s/b doable as long as you chew, chew, chew!

Good luck to you!