Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hi you both, thanks for your comments. Here is mostly what I eat:

Breakfast I usually have a small bowl of oatmeal

lots of Water between meals

lunch I have about a half cup of chicken with light mayo, cottage cheese, and a half cup of green Beans with cheese on it, melted

supper I usually have the chicken again, or bean Soup, and more cottage cheese, and a half cup of mashed potato with light butter, and light sour cream.

after that I have my cup of Protein Drink, and at night I have about 4 saltine crackers with Peanut Butter. For me. eating a lot of Protein works. Sometimes instead of oatmeal, I will have 2 scrambled eggs, with light melted cheese on it.

I do exercise every day for only 10 minutes, but I walk a lot every day, well, not really a Lot, lot but a few blocks, I am getting to walk more every day.

The best thing for my weight loss is my attitude, that I refuse for this not to work, and I get that from all of yous!!

i hope I can be of help to someone else. I only weigh once a week, but, I usually lose more inches anyway than pounds. So, I just go by my clothes.

You guys are fantastic for my attitude, all of yous keep up the good work, and if you dont lose for a while, WAIT, and keep going, it will happen, isnt that why we did this in the first place!!

Drink, drink, drink the water!!!!

thanks, Margi, for telling us what you eat. Also, it sounds like you have the postive attitude needed for success. Congrats!

Crabcake: Welcome to bandland! I hope that everything continues to go well for you. You're in for a wonderful experience, learning and losing. Congratulations!

you might try this too, although i guess you'd need to stick to what they say. i put in my existing weight and got 1573 cals. when i put in my desired weight, i got 1198. see how it compares to what they told you.

http://www.shapeup.org/interactive/rmr1.php

It didn't come out the same. It said my resting metobolic rate was almost

1400 calories but it's 1200, which means in order to lose, I need to eat

1,000. Of course exercising helps a lot with that too.

Denise822 - that sounds kinda grewsome (sp?)! But at least you know. How tall are you? Did they predict how quickly you would lose on 1000 cal per day? I have always know calories in? - calories out?

I am only 5'2" so that has a lot to do with why it's so low. I didn't ask them

how fast I would lose. I know for me, all my life, no matter what I do, it comes off slow and I gain really easily.

That's why I got banded. I was exercising like crazy but not losing. The band has helped cut my portion sizes down. After being on this plateau, I have lost

this week, so I am happy. I hope I don't go on another long plateau.

Denise822 - Good for you. I am only 5 feet tall and shrinking (I'm 57) and it has started. I too have been exercising. I can lose weight using a high protein/fiber diet with lots of Water, but it is slow. Oh well. I got banded because when I binged I would always gain back the weight. This time I won't be able to 'ignore" what I am doing. The band is like an internal hug for me.

Best wishes and thanks for sharing,

Michelle

Micelle, what are you doing for Fiber? The high Protein diets don't have enough

fiber for me. That's why I added more fruit back. I am tired of what happens to me with no fiber in my diet. And I am tired of benefiber. It's not good for our bodies not to get enough fiber. How do you get yours?

Well I'm able to sit at the computer and feel somewhat human again. I was banded three days ago....and I just want to tell you all how much I appreciate all your posts..Reading them today gave me renewed vigor and hope that it will get better. I found the first day I was struggling with getting enought fluids down me...then I thought...hey I have been on IV's a good share of the day and have alot of the fluids down already....so I just drank as much as I could and called it good. I felt horrible after surgery ....I had a allergic reaction to the pain medication. The second day the hospital released me... was I scared that something would "happen". It didn't ,thank goodness....my honey and I spent that night at a hotel and then he drove us the 3 hrs. home. That 3 hr. trip was not for the faint of heart. But once I got home and was able to lay down in my own comfy bed....I started feeling better. Today I have been up a few times doing some laundry , dishes, ect. When I feel like it I lay down..which is alot.

I sure hope Crabcake is doing okay. Crabcake if your out there I'm thinking of you will keep you in my prayers!

I don't feel like it yet..but I am wondering when did you all start your exercise program? I have been exercising daily since the first of January and I miss....gosh thats strange coming from my mouth. I never thought I would miss exercise.

I again so appreciate all of you and your positive outlook. Thanks for being you...and know I love ya ! Shar

Crabcake if your out there I'm thinking of you will keep you in my prayers!

Thanks Shar and the same to you! I'm glad to hear you're up and around. I'm hanging tough...this too shall pass!

I don't know about the rest of you, but my doctor said I shouldn't start exercising for 5 weeks. He did say that I could start walking as soon as I felt like it for as long as I felt like it. Needless to say, I haven't felt like it yet. But like you Shar, I'm looking forward to when I can!

Good grief!!! A size 12 at 198? What kind of exercise are you doing woman? Are you going for a smaller size or just less weight? Cause a size 12 sounds awfully good to me!

it took me a while to find this forum back to post. There are so many topics here.

I do 30 minutes Eliptical 4 to 5 times a week, 20 minutes legs twice a week, 20 minutes arms twice a week and abs 2 to 3 times a week for about 10 minutes.

I used to walk inclinate for 45 minutes but since my trainer told me about the Eliptical, I cut my time so I have more time to get home and cook dinner, and do house chores.

But the Eliptical has to be done increasing speed and levels from 2 to 10 in 10/12 minutes and then you decrease it. Yep when i get to 12 minutes at level 10, I am sweating like a pig and have to maintain for 2 "eternal" minutes. it is hard but worth it.

Lidia

Good grief!!! A size 12 at 198? What kind of exercise are you doing woman? Are you going for a smaller size or just less weight? Cause a size 12 sounds awfully good to me!

it took me a while to find this forum back to post. There are so many topics here.

I do 30 minutes Eliptical 4 to 5 times a week, 20 minutes legs twice a week, 20 minutes arms twice a week and abs 2 to 3 times a week for about 10 minutes.

I used to walk inclinate for 45 minutes but since my trainer told me about the Eliptical, I cut my time to the gym.

But the Eliptical has to be done increasing speed and levels from 2 to 10 in 12 minutes and then you decrease it. Yep when i get to 12 minutes at level 10 I am sweating like a pig and have to maintain for 2 "eternal" minutes. it is hard but worth it.

Lidia

Hi all, I decided that I would not even start at the junk food, or chocolate. No one ever liked that stuff more than me! I had Lap Band surgery done 3 weeks ago, and I have lost 30 pounds, and went from a size 2x to a medium, or size 13!!!!!!!!

THIS IS AMAZING!!!!! you got banded 3 weeks ago and you already lost 30 pounds and you are 55 and also started at 215, NEVER HEAR ABOUT THAT KIND OF WEIGHT LOST.

CONGRATULATION!!!!!

I read what you eat too and it is about what I eat too, how strange our bodies work in diffrent way...it took me a year to loose almost 30 pounds!

keep the good work.

Lidia

My resting metabolic rate is 1367 calories. Does this mean that if I don't move at all during 24 hours I will use up 1367 cals?

Yah, I am not exactly sure what PCOS is except that it screws up the metabolism and interferes with losing weight.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome - caused by insulin resistance. The PCOS will go away after menopause, but the insulin resistance stays with you always. Besides making weight loss difficult, it also causes fertility problems.

Shar: Hang in there. I felt pretty crappy after my surgery. The gas pain and shoulder pain were the pits. It will get better every day. Congratulations on your choice, you're going to be happy with your decision. Best wishes!

Crabcake: Welcome to bandland! I hope that everything continues to go well for you. You're in for a wonderful experience, learning and losing. Congratulations!

thanks karey! i'm about ready for this week to be over with. i know i'll feel better next week and will be glad i did this, but right now, not so much!