Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Thank you Green for saying that. People always tell me I must really be

a strong person to have gone through that. Like I had a choice? You have

to get up in the morning now matter now miserable you feel. For years

after I lost the 2nd man I loved, all I did was sit on the couch and eat.

My therapist says depression is anger turned inward.

Actually, the thing that brought me out of it was exercise. I finally decided

to try to take some of the weight off and started exercising like crazy. I didn't lose weight, but I started feeling really good. It's true that those

endorphins are the best antidepressant.

Hello Denise, I am actually replying to you to ask about your experience w/the Coos Bay doc. My friend lives in Newport but at this point plans on coming here (Las Vegas) and I will drive her to Mexico w/Dr. Aceves who did mine. Any thoughts? thanks. anniejo

Bless you wonderful women -

Carlene - I really liked your story and felt and affinity when you said that love is really a friendship that has caught fire. I think that is the best way, perhaps the only way. You put yourself out there, which is easier said than done. I'm proud of you!

cathy - I think the self esteem from weight loss will free me up to socially feel better about myself. I have hidden in my weight, then used it as a shield, daring people to love me through the fat, now I just wanna be me, inside me body and connect with the person I see in the mirror. I want balance and some understanding of my processes so I can live the healthy life I deserve. It is hard work, but I'm motivated. Exercise definitely helps.

Green - so sorry to hear of your bug, harvest the poop for gosh sakes, it is just a P.U.'ey body function. You want to get better, right?

hugs to all,

Michelle

This is so encouraging. I'm in the process of preparing for lap band surgery -- getting my physical, making other appts. I read an article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal comparing lap band sucess to bypass success. The article favored the bypass, but I've been reading posts on this website and it seems to me that so many of you have been tremendously successful. I got to thinking about my age (54), and wondered if all these successes were happening for people who had youth and a more efficient metabolism on their side. It's made me feel better to know that those of you who responded are pleased with your success and would do it again.

This is such a big decision. I don't want to find myself in the 1/2 lb. a week weight loss category after surgery. Honestly, if I lose that slowly I would become so discouraged. I went to Weight Watchers last year and after 16 weeks I had lost 8 lbs. Since I need to take off 150 lbs., I threw in the towel. I just couldn't see the big picture looming so far ahead of me. I saw myself counting points until I was old enough to receive Social Security.

Anyway, just want to say thank you so much for responding. I appreciate it. By the way, Carlene, you look beautiful.

Debi

Hi Debi, I'm 54 and had my surgery April 29th...2 months ago today! I have lost 21 lbs. I go back to Dr. this Friday....I did not get sick after surgery.

Best of luck,

Jen

Debi - I think the GBypass surgery is a faster weight loss, but there are so many risk factors, that I didn't want to go there.

About the lapband - I also think people are different. Some people have lost 30 pounds after 6 months and others much, much more. You need to realize that the lapband is a two year weight loss process, and perhaps longer. It requires a lot of effort, but then so does life. For me it was the best choice. Good luck with your decision.

Hi Gang - I am 52 - going for my 1st consultation 5/31 - Was reading this board on Friday to see what lapband is like for us 50'er. Read alot of stories that I could identify with - I am scared to go to this appointment - I am afraid of not being able to eat and taking the easy way (i no it's not but - after reading the other post you understand where i am coming from) I am tried all the time I sleep the weekend's away - just don't have the energy to do things and it seem like as soon as i sit on the couch - the next thing i know i am asleep. I am sick of my big fat tummy - that menopause tummy ;).. Well I am going to keep that appointment - and i had to post to this thread as it is hard to find (so now i will get notices when new post are done). My lunch hour is over (ate 2 bbq ck thighs and could take a nap - eating does that to me) Will ck back to nite to hear all your words of wisdom.. I need them.

Janet

Good luck with your appointment, Janet. Ask lots and lots of questions and be sure you understand the answers. I've only been banded two months so I'm not an authority. Weight loss for me has been slower than most who were banded around the time I was. I don't know if it's my age, the fact I've only had one small fill, or just that I'm a slower loser. I'm eating between 1,000 and 1,500 calories a day and exercising 3-4 times a week (although I've been sick for 10 days so haven't exercises for a week now). So the band is not a miracle cure, for sure. I'm having another fill tomorrow and hoping that will really help me start to lose. But, on the other hand, I've lost an average of 2 lbs. a week and started at a lower BMI than many who were banded when I was (and who have lost over double of what I have) so I'm quite satisfied, even at this point. We are all different. My doctor said to expect a loss of 1-2 lbs. per week so I guess I'm doing fine. We all want results NOW, don't we???

GOOD LUCK!

Anniejo, There is no way I would go to Mexico if I lived in Newport. Dr. Tersigni is wonderful. Everyone loves him. He charges 10,000 and three free fills with the surgery, and aftercare for free for a year. She's not going to save much money, if any, unless she plans to go back to Mexico for fills.

She is only 2 hours from Dr. Tersigni. Tell her to call him. It's 541-256-5151

ex 360 and 270. You can't believe how many people go to him from Idaho,

California, etc. plus all over Oregon.

Janet, have you talked to your doctor about being so sleepy? You might need to have some blood work done to see if you have something going on. Welcome to Lapband talk.

I love this thread. I really feel that those of us over 50 and dealing with menopause have complete different issues than those of us younger than us.

Denise

I am not much a doctor person - i don't get sick.. I am fine if i out and about - (i am guessing you know how that goes - have a pain in your head and all of a sudden you have a brain tumor)

I figure that they will but me through a whole battery of test before the operate on me. I will be her often Thanks Janet

Yes Momlambert - we just want to wiggle our nose and it be gone - we want to look like we do in our minds eye. Hope you are feeling better.

I

IndioGirl55 and MomLambert - I agree with the sentiments of Git R Dun, but it isn't going quickly that way for me. I think the weight is as much mental and emotional as physical. Each time I get stuck at a weight, i seem to have to break through some emotional barrier. It has really become a process for me. Lots of hard work and some painful memories, but this is it. I won't be doing the yo yo thing again. So I feel like I'm on the ride of my life.

I do love this site, so much realness (is that a word?)

Hugs and good night!

GREEN!!!!!! Stop being in denial. You have a bug!!! The weight loss is great and at first that seems cool enough to put up with the inconvenience of the cramping and diarrea. But believe me it can get much worse!

When we lived in Arizona, we met friends of ours in Juarez and spent the weekend. I was careful about everything I ate or drank... until we went to the dog races. I decided to have one margarita on the rocks, then two and as the races got more exciting and I got more buzzed, I wound up forgetting all the admonitions to not eat the ice or drink the Water. I did both.

Back home about a month later, I had those symptoms you talked about. I only weighed about 110 lbs. then and I began losing weight. It got gradually worse and I was a realtor trying to sit open houses and squire families around town to look at houses. I knew every open house with a bathroom. It finally got so bad and so painful that I couldn't take a sip of water without the terrible abdominal cramping. In fact, I couldn't even THINK about eating or drinking without triggering the by then, horrible cramps.

My doc gave me the little "kit" and directions for harvesting a sample to determine exactly what kind of bug had invaded my body and was using me as a host. In all, I spent about 3 months going through all the extremely powerful medicines prescribed before I got the thing in check. By then I had lost so much weight I hardly looked like myself.

This is not a laughing matter and it isn't something you need to fool around with. Your husbands leftover meds aren't going to do the trick. For gosh sakes, get the specimen and get it to the lab. They won't have the results overnight as it is. You need to kill off the little bugger(s) and get your life back! Your health is much more important than anything else you have!

Please let us know that you've done your "dooty" and you're on the road to getting this thing whipped!

Did I ever tell you about the fella that got a tape worm when he was in a foreign country?

Well he went to the doc and the doctor said, son we can do this one of two ways... the short 3-day way, or the longer 3-week way. The man said I'll choose the short 3-day way! The doctor said, it is very unpleasant... you'll have to keep your resolve all the way until it's totally completed. But the man said, I can do it whatever it is. Just tell me what I have to do and I'll do it.

The doctor said, okay now do exactly as I tell you. Go out and buy a quart of vanilla ice cream and a lemon cookie and come back to my office right away. So the fella did as he was told. When he returned to the doctor's office the doc said, okay now drop your pants and bend over. The guy did as he was told. The doctor took the quart of ice cream and put it right you-know-where. Then he jammed the lemon cookie right onto the ice cream. The doc said, now pull up your pants - don't bathe or do anything else. Come back tomorrow at this same time and bring another quart of ice cream and a lemon cookie.

The guy couldn't believe it. But hey this was a reputable doc and the he was desparate. The next day he showed up at the doctor's office with the ice cream and lemon cookie. The doc instructed him to drop his pants and bend over. He shoved the ice cream where the sun don't shine and poked in the lemon cookie. He told the guy to not shower and come back tomorrow for his 3rd and final treatment.

The next day the worried patient showed up, as before with the quart of ice cream and lemon cookie. The doctor directed him, as before, to drop his pants and bend over. Then the doctor went at him with the quart of ice cream. Then he waited... he waited... he waited... and the next thing you know, the tape worm stuck his head out and said, where's my lemon cookie? The doctor smashed him and the fella was cured!

Well, my daddy always said there was humor in everything. He also said the first time he heard that story he kicked the slats out of his cradle.

BJean - you are a precious person and a delightful story teller!

green - did you get it? BJean and I really want you to get healthy!

Smiling and going to bed,

Hi. I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I am in the process of getting all the pre-op consults done. Hopefully I can have the surgery in July. I am 51 (52 next Friday) and worry about weight loss.It is great to have a group like this that understands the trials and tribulations of a seasoned body. I need this surgery for my health. I was doing great and then all of a sudden...BAM!!! All the numbers started going up or down and next thing you know you are on all kinds of meds. I don't like to take meds....:omg: My PCP told me my blood sugar and asthma will improve and probably my apnea. Those are all reason enough for me. The vain side wants to buy clothes in the regular department.

Janet, hopefully they will do a sleep study on you. You may have sleep apnea. Falling asleep all the time is one of the symptoms.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

cathy

Welcome, Cathy! Glad you joined us here in the age-challenged group. You are right--we certainly have different issues than the younger set! July will be here before you know it--do you have to wait for insurance approval or are you self-pay. I had to self-pay so, the good news is, I didn't have to go through all the hoops some of the insurance companies require. I'm a fairly new bandster--2 1/2 months. Just had my 2nd fill this morning and am hoping that it really did the trick for me--it's hard to tell with the liquids today but I'm very hopeful.

Keep us posted. Congratulations on your decision to live a healthier life!