Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Green is checking in. I think I need a small fill and I still haven't got the Mexican complaint solved although I am getting closer. :help: I am still blocked about providing those faecal samples - ugh! gross - but I do now have the requisite gear in my bathroom at least. I have tried treating the problem with scotch which may be helping a little.:) Not so hot for the brain cells, though, and I do need those.

I had a funny experience this morning. A guy thought I was hitting on him because I said that Italian men tended to be good looking. (He was part Italian.) I was shocked :( and told him so, telling him, among other things, that I was way older than him. He seemed surprised to hear this and asked me how old I thought he was. I told him that I thought he was in his 30s and he said that that was right. Then I told him that I was 57 and so "you see, way too old for you!"

Then I told him that I was 57 and so "you see, way too old for you!"

Hey Green, I thought Italian men liked older women! :(

Linda, I live in the middle of nowhere too. It's very hard to meet people. When I lose some more weight, I hope to get brave enough to post a picture on yahoo personals.

Green, get that fill! I got one and I finally know what restriction feels like. I hope I can start losing now!

Carlene, I am sure you will lose what you gained. You already have done so well!

Hey Green, I thought Italian men liked older women! :(

And Green likes younger men. In fact her mate is 9 years younger than she is but even if she were single she could never consider performing a sportif act with a laddie young enough to have been her son. Well, maybe she could if the guy was cute and legally blind.... Green doesn't want to put herself in the way of possible humiliation, ya know.:)

And Green likes younger men. In fact her mate is 9 years younger than she is but even if she were single she could never consider performing a sportif act with a laddie young enough to have been her son. Well, maybe she could if the guy was cute and legally blind.... Green doesn't want to put herself in the way of possible humiliation, ya know.:)

Ha! I know what you mean. The crabcake doesn't like to either! Although, there was a time...sigh, but those days are over! (And actually, I'm sooooo glad they are!) :(

Green, BJean is jealous. Where's a nice hot Italian Stallion when you need him? I do not discriminate because of age. Sex yes, but not age. Unless he's as old as I, and that's just too depressing. All kidding aside...:rolleyes (not) (good thing my DH isn't looking over my shoulder! He might not think I'm really kidding.)

I have had a great week with regard to the LB!!!! I finally found out why I was having such a difficult time. Surprising to me, I was overfilled. I had heard so many people here talk about PB'ing too much and all that, and even not being able to swallow Water (or spit!) Mine was not THAT tight, but I was having a lot of trouble eating regular good food. I could eat about 3 bites of something and if I didn't eat it quite slowly, and in very small bites, I would PB. Later I would be ravenous!! That's when I decided to allow myself one square of chocolate. That was so satisfying it lead to another. Then I decided I could handle a child's size Italian Gelato. That lead to a regular size one, which led to a large. (not all in the same sitting, mind you) The next thing I knew I was not losing weight and I even regained the few pounds I had lost in the previous few weeks. I was scared to death to go for another fill since I figured I wouldn't be able to swallow my own spit and I was already so hungry with the fill I had!

I had no idea that being overfilled was just as bad for causing hunger as being underfilled! I haven't read anyone here state it that way. I just couldn't imagine anyone sabbotaging their band with junk. Now I understand exactly how that can happen.

Well, I had an appt. with the nutritionist and doctor, and today the exercise physiologist. I'm so happy!!! I am back on track and after just a couple of days of the proper fill, I am losing again. Not fast, but able to avoid the really high calorie junk foods. I can eat a decent meal (slowly, small bites) and consequently I am not starving and obsessing about food 24/7. Woo hoo! I just hope this continues and I can really lose the next 40 lbs.! I was accepted in a freebee Larry North exercise program designed just for LB patients. Starts on the 19th. I am very pumped! I have shot knees and the physiologist said that the only restriction at this point is no squats or stair stepper type exercises. Yea. Wish me luck!

BJean - way to go. Never heard about being hungry with an overfill. I just hope they found your sweet spot.

Green - i am totally jealous! I want to flirt with Italian men, actually I'm kinda shy. Maybe the weight loss will fix that. Watch our world......

Denise - the computer dating thing could be the ticket, but remember there are lots of frogs out their, maybe we could import Green's Italian stallion!

Hugs to you all. I had a fill today. I am losing about a pound a week. My doc is really happy, I'm struggling with that being ok with me. I am working out and tracking my food. Now I'm not sure how to track the sushi I had tonight, but whatever.... I know......I know.......

Now I'm not sure how to track the sushi I had tonight

Try calorieking.com It may not be the exact portions/calories, but it'll give you a ballpark idea. Sushi is very low fat/high Protein, can be high in carbs though (can be, but not always, it just depends). But good for you I say! Congrats!

Is Calorie King FREE??

I use sparkpeople.com and it's free. It really keeps me on track with diet and exercise and has interesting articles, discussion boards, etc. It's fun to earn little trophy's along the way, too. Good luck!

I use spark people too. I love the interesting articles that they have to read.

BJean, I am glad you got your fill straightened out. It's such a fine line between no restriction and too tight. I finally have restriction since yesterday, but I am afraid I might be too tight. I hope it loosens up a little over the next few days. Some people say it gets tighter in a week or two. I will be in trouble, if that's the case.

Is Calorie King FREE??

It's free to look up calories. Great for fast food items (I know, NOT a good food choice, but sometimes, the only choice there is). Anyway, if you put in sushi, you'll get a bunch of choices made by Tsunami, which is the brand I eat a lot. It's made fresh at our Publix. If you went to a sushi restaurant, you could use calorie king to get a ballpark idea. They have some other features that you can only get as a member, but a lot of their stuff is free.

Hey, BJean, that's fantastic news!:clap2: And that info about the downside of an overfill makes news to me. I believe I might need a little fill because I can eat rather a lot of the healthy stuff. The only reason I am losing is because of my Mexican bowels. Yes, I really gotta suck it up :tiredand harvest my poop.:) Ugh! Oh, gawd! I am such a neurotic princess that I keep choking when it comes to doing this. But, the equipment is now in my bathroom and I have finally read the instructions. This is my big step forward.:)

Dynamo and Denise - the double Ds:) - what you grrls want to do is spend some time around Italian men. They tend to be good looking, love women and love to flirt, and they are often kinda easy if you are in the mood for a crazy fling. Green knows. When she was younger she flung with a few Italian guys and quite enjoyed herself.:girl_hug: She has always been a sucker for a brunette.:girl_hug:

Yes, I really gotta suck it up :tiredand harvest my poop.:) Ugh! Oh, gawd! I am such a neurotic princess that I keep choking when it comes to doing this. But, the equipment is now in my bathroom and I have finally read the instructions.

Dare I ask what you're talking about? Will I regret this? Will your answer make me nauseous? :)

Hi everyone. I'm female, aged 50 this past May, BMI 42. I would like to lose at least 75 pounds. I had been on the Atkins diet, which worked for me because I love meat, but I didn't want to be limited to the "Atkins approved foods" for the rest of my life. I had lost 58 pounds. I went off the atkins 3 months ago and gained back 25 pounds. Depressing. I decided to try for the lapband. My daughter had the gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago and has lost 110 pounds. I didn't want to go that invasive of a surgery so I opted for the lapband. I had my first consult yesterday. He told me that I wouldn't be able to have read meat of white bread again. Augh! I don't know if I can go without red meat!! Is it true that we would not be able to have the red meat?? The white bread I can live without but the red meat?? I dunno. Can anyone help me with this question?? Help! I appreciate this site and I'm really liking this part of it - for those of us over 50. Very nice. Thanks everyone. Dianne