Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hello Cathy -

So glad you are going to join us. We are a great group here with a wide range of aches and pains. Just kidding. I love this thread because it is specifically for me and not a 20 something.

BJean - actually, I didn't sleep very well, oh well, think I am less lactose tolerant than I used to be. It is weird, the symptoms come and go. Do you feel that your fill loosens up after a week or so? I think my fill was pretty minimal. Dr. K only put in .9 cc in my 5 cc band, but then I thought it was perfect the way the Water was not going down quickly, I also think I was scared to get filled too much - you know the horror stories. Are you doing well, recommited to a healthy life?

Best to you all,

Michelle

Welcome, Cathy!

Dynamo, My fill has definitely loosened up. I used to feel full fast and now I don't feel full at all. I am looking forward to a new fill next week.

I don't sleep well at all. I have slept well since menopuase. I hate it. It's such a big problem in my life.

Thanks Denise. I used to sleep so well, we love menopause! I had a complete hysterectomy at 45 so I was on homones for 7 years, then when I got the lung cancer, they took me off the hormones, now I don't know where I am in the process. I understand that docs are not recommending the number of hysterectomys like they used to.

I try to ignore it. Not so many hot flashes any more.

Dynamo: Sadly to say, no I am not recommitted. Everyday I start out that way. I am sure that I need a fill. I keep saying next week. But I promise I am going to call tomorrow for a fill next week. That will also involve a visit with the nutritionist. She's a stern taskmaster. But that's not the most important part. I can go over my symptoms and she will help me figure out why I'm having this problem! But I am in a much better mood and feeling like I'm beginning to understand better what's going on here.

Sorry you didn't have a restful night. A very good women's wellness doctor I used to see says that sleeping straight through the night is a crucial component to a woman's healthy life. Something (it's been a while) about elevated cortisol and other hormones being out of whack that make it a problem, especially when you are worrying about the risk of cancer. So if you have to take something to get a good nights' rest, do it. Be careful of taking Tylenol PM though. Tylenol is hard on your liver. The main ingredient in Tylenol PM that causes you to sleep is Benadryl and so just take some Benadryl.

Preachy little thing ain't I? Sorry about that. I'm just passing along information because I've had that problem, including lactose intolerance, in the past.

Hi Cathy - Welcome !!!

This is a great group - I really like the over 50 crowd here. We have been there and done that and you really can't pull the wool over our eyes. We have made all the mistakes already and are pretty much grown up (now you see I used the word "pretty much"} Cuz I can still party (every now and then) with the young set..

Yea I probably to have sleep apnea - i wake my self up snoring.. I am 52 (January 29) so Pre-Happy Bday.. I have always carried my weight well - one time went to the diet pill doctor and he thought i weighed less than i did by just looking at me - but the MENOPAUSE thing has just really piled alot more weight in my tummy - don't get me wrong i am fat all over - but this tummy weight is a big pain in the butt.

I go to my 1st consulation tomorrow @ 3:30. Talked to my insurance carrier BC ca and they said it was covered as long as it was medically necessary - and at 5'3 240 something (i don't own a scale but my 18's pants are getting tight) high blood pressure - bmi 43 so I think i will qualify - my out of pocket is going to be about $9k - now this is hard part - I am lucky enought to have it - and need to wrap my head around the fact that I am worth it.. Well i really can't say I don't think that I'm not worth it Cuz i do love myself - it's just well i don't know how to say it. I will see the results so I can't say it's not tangible - I REALLY want to shop in the regular clothing - heck even a 14 - i don't expect to get to 120 again - would be happy with 170/180 - I look about 160 (or at least use to when I was younger)... Can't wait for tomorrow to see whats up.. I want to be around for a few more year ;)... Got to get this 16 grandson grown and i have 2 grandaughters (12 & 3) that i want to be around for too. I want to retire in the next few yrs and be able to do things like walk up hill without dieing. I don't want to be ashamed of how i look. and yes sometime I am. Will let you all know how it goes tomorrow (that's if i can get my computer to connect to the internet - right now I am on my grandson's computer cuz he's not home)

Take care alll - talk at you later.... Janet

Wow Janet! That's hard to believe that even with insurance, you still have to pay 9K. I paid 10K without insurance coverage.

I bet you do have sleep apnea. that's considered one of the reasons to have the band and have it be medically necessary.

Had my appt w/Dr Bobbie 5/31 - he said i was a good canidate. Now have to have 1 mil test .... Did pulmonary today (tech said i was normal for my age weight & smoking - I know I have to quit ::)-) Still have to have cardio, mamogram, sleep apnea, nut, shrink, colon, pap, blood work. Have made some of the appts - still need to make 3 more - hopefully tomorrow i will get to make the other appointments.

Question - i have a hard time finding this thread is there a way to mark it as a favorite someplace here??

I have starting keeping a diray on fitday... I am suppose to get my metaboliszm ck in all this testing - cuz yesterday i only ate 1200 calories- how can i eat that much and weight 245??? :) Ya i know cuz other days i eat 4000 :(.

Well just wanted to ck in and see how the gang was doing - but everyone must be posting elsewhere for the last few days.

Has anyone else done a sleep test - I think it will feel strange to have someone montering you as you sleep and i bet they can see you too.

Does anyone know if i get this weight off will the sleep apnea go away??

Hi,

If you go to the top of the coumn & click on Thread Tools you'll ee an option to subscribe to this thread.

i am 52. i am considering lapband surgery. i only want to lose 50 pounds. i've yo-yo'd for so many years. i feel like this is such a cop out, but i just can't go back to weight watchers AGAIN. does this work? why doesn't it work for everyone? i read posts from people who are stuggling to loose. how can it NOT work? please advise. thanks

I have a very slow metabolism and that is the reason I am losing very slowly.

I had a resting metobolic test taken that showed I only burn 1000 calories per day. I have to exercise every day or I don't lose.

I don't have to subscribe to threads. I get an email that tells me which threads I have replied to. I click on that email and it brings me here.

The way I was checked for sleep apnea was I just slept with a little

thing on my finger. It showed I didn't lose any oxygen while sleeping.< /p>

It was easy. I don't know how others are tested for itl.

i am 52. i am considering lapband surgery. i only want to lose 50 pounds. i've yo-yo'd for so many years. i feel like this is such a cop out, but i just can't go back to weight watchers AGAIN. does this work? why doesn't it work for everyone? i read posts from people who are stuggling to loose. how can it NOT work? please advise. thanks

Watchband...

Yes, it works....but it isn't magic. You have to make good food choices or it won't work very well, because "slider" foods will go right thru the band. chocolate, Cookies, chips, ice cream - anything that melts in your mouth will end up on your rear end, just like before.

I did great for two years, then had some problems (from being over-filled). I had to be unfilled and am now struggling to lose the 18 pounds I gained back.

I have just recently accepted the fact that whatever you do to lose the weight....you have to keep on doing it to keep it off.

I didn't know you were a widow. I am too. I lost my husband quite a few years ago, and basically raised my kids by myself. Then I had a wonderful boyfriend who also died. No wonder I turned to food for quite a few years.

Now I just want to get this weight off so I can feel good about myself. You're so right. I would have been so lost without my good friends.

I too am a widow for 5 and half years. At least I didn't have to raise kids alone as they were basically raised, the youngest being 24 and the oldest 28. Kids were great help for me at the time. Still miss Doug tremendously. I do know it would be nice to have male compaionship once in a while to go out to eat (but not much) or a movie or just to talk. Pickings are really slim in this area. Too small.

I'm not sure if I've even posted on this thread before today. I'm not sure I've even read it. I started at the beginning this morning because I only have 2 kids in my daycare today so I'm not really busy. I started reading at the beginning but jumped to about the last 10 pages. That's a lot of reading but found it all very interesting.

I'm 59, pushing 60. Was banded 3/19/07 and have lost 40lbs. I really watch what I eat, Protein, veggies and fruit. I've had maybe 10 french fries total, that's like one at a time. It's surprising I can resist. I also avoid all processed carbs and white carbs. Perhaps once in a week or two I might have a small bite of something but it hasn't been a temptation. I do get in at least 3 Protein Drinks or bars a day. I prefer the drinks because they are lower in calories than the bars.

I've been widowed 5 1/2 years so found that part of the thread very interesting. At our age there are probably lots of us out there. We were married just short of 30 years when he had a massive stroke. The strange part of his story is that he wasn't over weight and ran 4 miles 5 days a week. That goes to show when God wants you to go home he'll take you. I'm at the point in life now where I would consider dating again if there was anyone around here. It's a very small area and I don't get out much. Except for the bars there aren't many places to go to meet people. I am active in my church but there are many single men there too. I'm also picky because I've already had the best.

I do have 3 great kids, the youngest are twin boys or rather men ,29. My daughter is on the same weight climb as I was. I feel for her but she is not heavy enough to have lapband. She's 33 and probably weighs 150 or so. The boys are pretty well normal size.

I guess I've rattled enough and most of this isn't even about weight. I'm glad I found this thread and will be back daily to check in.

Linda

LLSibley - my heart goes out to you. It took six years after my husband of only 5 years, died to even want to breathe. Yes, unfortunately there are lots of us here.

You are doing great with your band! Are you exercising too?

Indigo55 - I didn't have to jump through all the hoops you are, I was a self-pay for $10,000 with Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver. He has lots of people flying in here for the surgery. Then they make other arrangements for fill docs near to their house. It has been a great experience for me.

watchband - you will probably have to go the self-pay route to get banded, but I think this is the answer to yo yo dieting. I can lose the weight, but always regained it before I regained my focus for a healthy life. The band isn't easy, but it will stall a great regaining of weight. Don't get me wrong, you can eat around the band and gain weight, but you really have to work harder at it and hopefully sanity will come back to me before I totally relapse.

Carlene - having just said that, rejoice that you haven't regained the bulk of your weight and you know that you can do it. You deserve this healthier life!

BJean - actually you sound like you are in a better place. You can do this. I started posting my daily intake on www.calorieking.com

As soon as I got honest, my daily intake dropped. Hugs, you deserve a healthy life you know.

Hugs to you all,