Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 1st Day Of My Gastric Sleeve Surgery Journey

I was never so grateful that my surgeon only required two days of liquids before surgery! Hang in there, you will get through this!

My experiences are very similar to those voiced above; never vomited and only experienced nausea twice in the hospital. I was in my own bed the very first night home even though I was unable to sleep on my side for the first week. My tummy felt like I had been doing sit ups for three days straight LOL. My surgeon says that they insert air in between the muscle and abdominal wall which stretches the muscle out, hence the soreness.

I was sleeved on 9/27 which puts me 4.5 weeks out and I have lost almost 30 lbs and feel better than I have in years! Good luck to you and welcome aboard a great forum.

On my way. Stay tuned... Wish me luck ;0)

Good luck!!! SO excited for you! Please update us when you feel up to it! I hope everything went great for you!!!

Ok so my surgery day began with the time being pushed back 5 hours. Be prepared that it is tentative even the day of.

It was a Nice staff in surgery room which was great! It's nerve racking getting checked in because it is a bit overwhelming with many people and prep and in surgical room. Saw the surgeon only by request just for a second prior to surgery to ask last minute questions and will not see him maybe until next appointment either. I requested relaxing medicine shot ,after my iv was started with a very thick needle, and an uncomfortable stinging shot in the belly of blood thinner to prevent blood clots. Next, In surgery room with gown socks n hat on, the had me switch beds, they were setting up in the room n put oxygrn mask on me n began sleepy meds. Didnt see surgeon in there. Woke up in rest area n I requested my mom to come in. I was in honestly really really bad pain on right side and belly button area. I cried n asked for mom. Surgeon or anyone involved in surgery didnt talk to me or told me how it went. But my mom said surgeon breifly spoke to her. I asked many times how it went n found it annoying because i wanted details. Neck n shoulder pain was not bad but had a excruciating headache like never b4 and quite nauseous and thirsty. I slightly lost my voice later on in the day. No throat irritation just thirsty n used swabs n ice chips n chapstick. They gave me morphine which was not strong enough n switched to dilauded which caused a rash n burning itching on eyelids, face , neck, scalp n thighs. Thet Gave me benadryl next, which was weak, n now on phentinol n it's good. But I only get it every 4-6 hrs, whereas with the others i was able to push a button every 10 mins.

Worse part of night was at 10pm, before my parents left, i had not peed since 9am which everyone said was bad n there waa no nurse after many requests to get up or help or teach me to get up to pee n an actual secretarty helped but had no clue. Not even my parents coukd ger a nurse and asked for supervisor. One hr later after sitting on a portable potty i was im extreme wound pain pressure trying to pee crying and hyperventilating and dehydrated cuz thet unhooked my iv's and no pain meds even thiugh I was begging. It was hell and trying to get back in bed begging for a catheter. But if course needed to order it from a doctor who didn't get back to us till an hr later. And still no pain meds. The catheter was done in the bed finally and was so hard to get in the position to do it on no pain meds either n having resident nurses (2) observing being taught which was the last thing i needed. But i managed n it waa painful but worth it cuz i filled the bag up upon insertion. For some reason while goimg through the pain of needing to pee they had ti also order and wait for an ultrasound of abdomen to see level of pee in bladder for g-d knows what reason as if my word and pain from needing to urinate wasnt enough!! I Strongly recommend you all do the catheter and have it done when u r under prior to surgery because this is an added stress and unessasary to deal with and worth it to avoid at least for the first night!!!! Trust me. But be aware it does cause uti a lot of the times.

I have not experienced gas pains here at all as most have mentioned on this forum. In the morning I will get the X-ray swallow test. Ever since surgery I've had leg compressors on squeezing the legs alternating sides. That feels good. I will probably walk tomorrow, as well.

If i pass the drink test I may drink liquids tomorrow. I hope you get an efficient nurse staff that actually checks on you. I'll continue to check in. This was all just my personal experience. I'm sure it'll get better as far as pain goes. At least I can pee freely Now which is great!! As far as body temp im not cold or hot. They give socks prior to surgery. I suggest bringing face wipes n sanitary hand wipes, which i have used quite a bit n face moisturized n hand lotion cuz its dry. I definately used chapstick since surgery and prior to it. U will want to brush your hair to. It gets tangled. My iphn has come in handy. And a hair scrunchy.

Hugs.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll post more... Still no nurse or reply... 1 hr later. Oh five incisions were made in surgery three by belly button area including belly button n one on lower right belly n one under right breast.! :0))

Ok so my surgery day began with the time being pushed back 5 hours. Be prepared that it is tentative even the day of.

It was a Nice staff in surgery room which was great! It's nerve racking getting checked in because it is a bit overwhelming with many people and prep and in surgical room. Saw the surgeon only by request just for a second prior to surgery to ask last minute questions and will not see him until tomorrow either. I requested relaxing medicine shot ,after my iv was started with a very thick needle, and an uncomfortable stinging shot in the belly of blood thinner to prevent blood clots. Next, In surgery room, after switching beds, they were setting up n began sleepy meds. Woke up in rest area n I requested my mom to come in. I was in honestly really really bad pain on right side and belly button area. I cried n asked for mom. Neck n shoulder pain was not bad but had a excruciating headache like never b4 and quite nauseous and thirsty. I slightly lost my voice later on in the day. No throat irritation just thirsty n used swabs n ice chips n chapstick. They gave me morphine which was not strong enough n switched to dilauded which caused a rash n burning itching on eyelids, face , neck, scalp n thighs. Thet Gave me benadryl next, which was weak, n now on phentinol n it's good. But I only get it every 4-6 hrs, whereas with the others i was able to push a button every 10 mins.

Worse part of night was at 10pm, before my parents left, i had not peed since 9am which everyone said was bad n there waa no nurse after many requests to get up or help or teach me to get up to pee n an actual secretarty helped but had no clue. Not even my parents coukd ger a nurse and asked for supervisor. One hr later after sitting on a portable potty i was im extreme wound pain pressure trying to pee crying and hyperventilating and dehydrated cuz thet unhooked my iv's and no pain meds even thiugh I was begging. It was hell and trying to get back in bed begging for a catheter. But if course needed to order it from a doctor who didn't get back to us till an hr later. And still no pain meds. The catheter was done in the bed finally and was so hard to get in the position to do it on no pain meds either n having resident nurses (2) observing being taught which was the last thing i needed. But i managed n it waa painful but worth it cuz i filled the bag up upon insertion. For some reason while goimg through the pain of needing to pee they had ti also order and wait for an ultrasound of abdomen to see level of pee in bladder for g-d knows what reason as if my word and pain from needing to urinate wasnt enough!! I Strongly recommend you all do the catheter and have it done when u r under prior to surgery because this is an added stress and unessasary to deal with and worth it to avoid at least for the first night!!!! Trust me.

I have not experienced gas pains here at all as most have mentioned on this forum. In the morning I will get the X-ray swallow test. Ever since surgery I've had leg compressors on squeezing the legs alternating sides. That feels good. I will probably walk tomorrow, as well.

If i pass the drink test I may drink liquids tomorrow. I hope you get an efficient nurse staff that actually checks on you. I'll continue to check in. This was all just my personal experience. I'm sure it'll get better as far as pain goes. At least I can pee freely Now which is great!! As far as body temp im not cold or hot. They give socks prior to surgery. I suggest bringing face wipes n sanitary hand wipes, which i have used quite a bit n face moisturized n hand lotion cuz its dry. I definately used chapstick since surgery and prior to it. U will want to brush your hair to. It gets tangled. My iphn has come in handy. And a hair scrunchy.

Hugs.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll post more... Still no nurse or reply... 1 hr later. OH AnD only three incisions were made!!!!!!! Not five!!!!! :0))

Thank you so much for sharing!!! So sorry you're in pain. I would def be goin off on some ppl right about now if I were in your shoes..I really hope you're able to get some pain free rest while you have some good pain meds and I hope your nurse/s come around more often. Great job on following through with this awesome gift! Can't wait to get mine!! =))

Good luck to u. Thank u. One hour fifteen minutes 6 pages to nurses station n no one came yet. The throat hurts turning into possible sinus infection n hurts in my chest when I breathe. The pain is increasing with even the slightest move in the bed. At least the nice old lady with the fever checker rolled by n she discovered my catheter was stuck n not flowing. Fu%#*!• nurse I do not appreciate this n what im feelimg should at least me documented for doctor right now by her visiting me and give me something for throat issue. Night shift stinks!!!! I hope this doesn't happen to any of u.

I expect more pain day two but better safe than sorry u would think! Grrrrrrrr. On a happier note so i don't sound like such a loser downer... I'm able to write you guys n got some napping in. :0) can't wait to do the X-ray leak test tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I'll update day two soon. Thanks for listening n support n I hope it taught u all some tips abd preperarion.

Another update. Another blood thinner shot was injected in belly to prevent blood clots. Gas pain has begun n left shoulder pain hurts when hiccup or burp. Best way I cab describe it is it's like a quick knuckle punch to shoulder/collarbone area. Very tender belly. Big headache. Thet give protonix for acid reflux in the iv. I will be allowed a lozenge for yhe throat issue. Later I will do the X-ray leak check test.....

The second day is where the pain really kicks in in area of cut stomach. I discovered today one incision was in my bellybutton (out of just 5 incisions on belly). I drank the iodine Water n saw it go in my new belly on the xray. They r currently studying for minor leaks (god forbid) andbif clear I can start fluids tonight. I walked for the first time n cathater came out . Waking and sitting up is verrrrrrrry hard. Cathater came out but caused bleeding. I'm just being honest people... I hope it helps prep u. But everyones different. I'm sitting in a chair now. Breathing deep hurts all painful regions, as well n my throat is so sore I lost my voice 100%. otherwise I'm good. I'm looking forward to some ice chips but not looking forward to more frequent restroom visits. Btw it's very hard to attempt to wipe. Very hard.thank goodness my daytime nurse was very nice today, much much better than last night's nurse!! the surgeon does not visit on weekends but the resident visited which was helpful. They say if I can tolerate liquids n no leaks I can go home tomorrow but I've requested one more day incase I have more avid reflux issues , etc. Better safe than sorry.

Home and situated. Burning in stomach with oral meds now that I'm off iv. Only had clear broth and Water so far. Very painful to adjust to new bed and hard to go up the stairs. Tired but not having any complications thank goodness other than same sharp pains on right side.

Ive lost 13 pounds since preop. So three punds gone since surgery. Weightloss starts in boobs n face firsf. You will have load rumbling noises in belly. You will feel liquids going down and settling in the belly after surgery and you'll know when u r full. I'm on day 3. I've just stuck to clear chicken Soup broth with no salt because it puffs up my face n shuts my eyes (i found this out from hospital soup). I had ricola cherry lozanges for throat. Vitamins (chewable) and pills to swallow are going down fine. Ive had no throwup or neausea at all today. I never threw up thank goodness. I am taking antibiotics for uti and anti neaseau meds when needed. I find I Still very much am needing pain meds mainly at night because there's more movement in day. It was fine to stroll around house today and stand up for a while organizing bedroom. It helped to elevate my legs on pillow in bed at night to take pressure off lower back. Neck might b sore so u might want to use rolled up towels to put in groove of neck when lying down. I did this even in hospital bed. Starting to clear my throat out and getting voice back.

Forgot to mention car ride home... Used pillow on back and in front under seatbelt and Water with bag incase of nausea. I was ok. Have driver drive very slow.

I still have a uti and burns when urinate. It was caused by catheter and catheter was initially used because I was unable to apply the mildest pressure to urinate normally after surgery. Ladies, There is also a mid rash down there probably from all these meds. So drink a lot.

I'm using breathing tester they sent me home with n lungs r getting stronger on day three.

Headache is still here.

Belly cramping started mildly for first time last night. But mainly when I talked too much.

Hiccups and burps do hurt belly.

Worst thing so far is intense burning with liquid pain killer, so try to get solid. It was litterally like alcohol on an open wound n I did cry out in pain. I learned to dilute it in h2o.

I'll write more in several hours.

Feel free to ask questions if u come across this thread.

I tried to see how it would be without one dose of pain med... Holy hell!! Ouch all over! :0( everything is ok with me. Keeping hydrated with h2o, drinking Soup three times a day and one Jello . Throat lozenge is helpful two times a day. Just weaker than yesterday but went up n down stairs twice n strolled around house.

Bruising has now begun on evening of day three on belly. Black n blue on rt side lower belly.Sharp pains have begun om left side, as well. Lower back pain. Voice slowly coming back. Will attempt first shower tonight.

So today is day four post op and after walking around this morning after getting out of bed and having meds and juice, I got super light headed dizzy and nateous. Pain was bad cuz I ran out of pain meds n I do not recommend skipping pain meds when it is truly needed :0/ ouch. I'm pretty weak today ... I don't know how a lot of people on this forum started walking working etc on just day 4. I'm doing my best though. I definately had a lot of burping gas and some heartburn after several spoons of the clear broth and sitting up or standing helped that clear. My voice came back today n throat is better. Sipping Water constantly is very important and helped the dizziness go away. Its very easy to tell when you are full and my tummy has been making the loudest rumbling noises all night and morming!! Weightloss has Not occurred yet at all, but I'm Sure it will. I took my first shower last night which went well and felt good. Bandages are still in tact. Needed help putting socks on. I'm doing fine all in all. Just tired.

Hang in there! Weight loss will happen. The pain will go away and you will think this is the best thing you ever did. Everything you are talking about is part of the healing process. Some people tolerate pain differently. The key is to do what is best for you. Don't compare yourself to everyone on here. I had it super easy until I pulled an internal stitch and then I was hurting really bad. I got through it and really don't remember how bad it was. Good luck and keep your eye on the prize.

Hang in there, Belly, it WILL get better! I am PO day 12 and I was one of the lucky ones. I was shopping at Target on day 5...not a whole-out shopping trip, but a short one. I had a shower 2nd day post-op - they sent me home the day after surgery. I lost my voice, too, due to such a dry mouth and throat in the hospital...i wasn't even allowed ice or anything!

Just know it will and does better! I don't remember who said it on here, but it was perfect...they said "Better than yesterday, not as good as tomorrow!" ^_^