Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 1st Day Of My Gastric Sleeve Surgery Journey

Thank u!!

I am not a doctor and it does seem that people have a pretty wide range of experiences- but, if all experiences were like mine then I would say...

The healing is no problem, your body will take care of things.

The pain is annoying but not excruciating-- My advice is to ask your doctor before the surgery how much pain he allows his patients to be in for the day or two after surgery. My doctor unfortunately (I wish I had asked beforehand) wants his patients to feel pain as an extra precaution in case there is something wrong. My understanding though is that most Doctors know that pain is pretty easy to control and there are plenty of other ways they monitor for problems.

Assuming your doctor does not want you to be in pain-- the pain medication is stronger than the pain-- so it can be controlled. After the first 2-3 days Tylenol and GasX if anything is all you will need.

Vomitting- everytime I've been under anesthesia- I have vommitted for hours afterwards. In this case though- no vomitting and I think particularly while you're not eating food those first few days-- its not an issue. I have vommited twice since adding food back in to my diet (I'm 3 weeks post-op now) but it hasn't been scary or painful.

And for possible leakage- its such a tiny percentage of people that have that. And before anything is put in to your stomach that could leak (food or drink)-- you get the leak test done (the morning after surgery) so, god forbid there was anything wrong-- the doctors would see it right away. After that- as long as you follow your doctors eating plan-- you are not putting stress on the new seem of your stomach and shouldn't have an issue. And by 2 weeks post surgery- your stomach does a pretty good job of seeling the seem

I also was comforted to learn that if there was a leak-- I wouldn't keel over dead immediately (which I kinda thought). There will be signs and symptoms and enough clues to get you back to the hospital to have it fixed before you are in a life threatening situation.

You are going to be fine! And I think it can only help the process if you go in to the surgery confident that you will be fine. A lot of us- including me- seem to have those panicky thoughts the first day or two after surgery of 'what have I done???' but just tell yourself those feelings are normal and by the time you get home- the excitement for the changes ahead will be back.

Good Luck and Congratulations! You will be sound asleep for the worst of it- and feel better and better every day afterwards.

Hi. I just joined this site :0)

I was approved by my insurance this week (Bluesheild CA PPO).

I have my Pre-op apt this week.

I will hopefully have my Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2wks.

I have been so nervous now that this is becoming a reality and have not slept in nights reading posts. This site has helped a lot so far.

My main concerns are healing, pain, vomiting, and possible leakage, etc.

I'm in my 30's and weigh 252. I'm 5.3ft

I plan to continue to post followups on this same thread as I go through this, so you can check in :0)

I'm in Southern CA

Thank you for your support.

IMy advice is to ask your doctor before the surgery how much pain he allows his patients to be in for the day or two after surgery. My doctor unfortunately (I wish I had asked beforehand) wants his patients to feel pain as an extra precaution in case there is something wrong.

Thank you for reminding me to do this! Great post.

Thanks Chilljill!! That was very helpful!!! Count down 11 days!!!! :0)

I LoVE food sooooo much and i reallllly mISS it already!!! I'm sooooooo hungry!!!!!!! And weak, etc. :0/

9 more days...

I LoVE food sooooo much and i reallllly mISS it already!!! I'm sooooooo hungry!!!!!!! And weak, etc. :0/

9 more days...

Go to a GNC store and ask them to let you sample their Meal Replacement shakes. They are ready to drink. No mixing. I buy the swiss chocolate and I think it tastes just like chocolate milk. It is lactose free if you have problems drinking milk, you want to mKe sure you are getting in alot of Protein without alot of carbs. This will help with fullness & hunger not to mention weightloss. Good luck & don't buy quantity until you taste it first.

I'm so hungry. What a challenge!!!! 8 more days...

Tic Toc....This Friday is the big day!!!! :0)>

weight.png

2 more days... :0)

It sure goes fast doesn't it??? :) You will be on the Losers Bench in a matter of hours!

It sure goes fast doesn't it??? :) You will be on the Losers Bench in a matter of hours!

Thank you! Yes it went by so fast and I hardly slept these past two weeks. I'm all ready to go. Tomorrow mirilax day then 3am wakeup to go to hospital. I'm so nervous but ready. It'll b my first surgery ever. I still have a page of questions for the surgeon. :0/ thanks for your support.I hope all is well with you. :0))

On my way. Stay tuned... Wish me luck ;0)

I had my sleeve 3days ago and am doing great. I literally had no pain post op, no nausea. Abdomen felt like you had bumped into a corner of dresser, sore but no real pain. In hosp. for 2 days and home yesterday. Very difficult getting fluids down yesterday and so far this morning a world of difference. I mix 2 cups skim, which has 20 of Protein and 400 calories with enough scoops of protein mix to equal 75 of protein. I leave in fridge and every couple of hours take a few sips, which is going down fine. When that is gone I will spend the rest of the day with Water. I find the easier I can make it the better for me.Also since day of surgery I have lost 14#, amazing.

That is fantastic GraceMarie. I am so happy to hear that you came thru with flying colors. I am going in 4 days and I am so psyched and am so encouraged by you. Please keep updating your progress. Best of luck and congrats.