Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stopped taking Metformin -- signs of low blood sugar

Hello to the diabetic sleevers! I am hoping someone can help me understand what is going on with me.

I am Type 2 Diabetic was taking Metformin 1000 mg. in the morning / 1000 mg. at night.

The day before my sleeve surgery I was told not to take my evening dose of Metformin.

I had sleeve surgery Sept. 23. The hospital monitored my blood sugar and gave me insulin while I was in the hospital until my post-surgery high blood sugar (evidently normal reaction) was stabilized.

I was sent home on an all clear liquid diet and my surgeon told me to completely discontinue taking the Metformin! (I was ecstatic about that; it was something that I had hoped for maybe 6 months down the road if I was lucky.) But the surgeon asked me if I was familiar with the signs of low blood sugar and to watch for that.

So I am pretty sure that I have had signs of low blood sugar twice in two days. (I am sorry to admit that I do not currently have my own gluco-meter at home to test my blood sugar level.) I get chills as if I have a fever but I do not have an abnormal temperature. I feel much better and warmer after drinking some Liquid Protein.

Can someone explain to me why low blood sugar is happening when I am off of the Metformin completely?

Thanks for your help with this.

(I have type II as well.) I'm not sure you can be positive they are low blood sugar symptoms without testing with a meter. Make sure you are getting in all your Water so you can rule out dehydration. I think you should get a meter asap and let your doctor know how you are feeling. I wish you the best, take care!!

Adri, thanks! I know you are totally right. I will get another meter asap so I can be sure about what is going on. I saw my surgeon today (five day follow-up after surgery.) She thinks that my blood pressure med needs to be cut in half. I take it right before bed and I get these chills after I go to bed. So we are going to try that starting this evening. My BP numbers are crazy good, like 115/60 BEFORE I take my lisinopril. So maybe that is the real issue.

Now that sounds more like it. I am still on a small dose of insulin and my metformin, but I was taken off lisinopril about 2 mos after surgery. Yay, one less pill to take. I was severely insulin resistant, so I didn't expect to get off my meds right away, I am happy that the doses are now greatly reduced though!.

Now that sounds more like it. I am still on a small dose of insulin and my metformin, but I was taken off lisinopril about 2 mos after surgery. Yay, one less pill to take. I was severely insulin resistant, so I didn't expect to get off my meds right away, I am happy that the doses are now greatly reduced though!.

Hi, Adri...

Would you mind sharing how Insulin dependant you were before surgery? I was taking 700-800 units of Levemir daily (7-8) injections per day, until I started taking my Insulin by pump. Before surgery, my A1c went from 12 one year ago, to 9 once on the pump, and now my A1c was 7.7 three weeks post-op!

This is the best A1c I have had in many years! I am encouraged by your experience...

I was taking about 55 units of Lantus each night. And taking Novolog throughout the day as needed...usually about 10 to 15 units before each meal. I was also taking 850 mg of metformin 2x a day and 20mg of Lisinopril once a day.

I now still take the same dose of metformin, and about 12 to 14 units of Lantus each night, no other meds now.

My highest A1C ever was 9.3; and when I went to the doctor about a month ago it was 4.9! Right now my bg levels are usually somewhere between the high 80s and 120s.

I see my endocrinologist in about 3 weeks, I hope I can get off the insulin by then...that is my real hope. I'm ok if I still have to take metformin. I can't wait to get to my wgt. goal to see how my diabetes finally ends up.

I apologize if it seems like I exaggerated. I love seeing your numbers go down...and keep up the good work and they will continue to go down. I was shocked when my endo quoted me 4.9...it has been 10 years since I heard a number like that.

My symptoms of low blood sugar was that I would feel flush and lighthead. I would feel weak. I was talking 500 mg twice a day and was looking to increase that before surgery. I had a 10 day liquid diet and when on that I had to discontinue my pills. I had one insulin shot while in the hospital but since then-no pills. At my 6 month follow up my A1c was 5.2. I will have labs drawn next month for my one year and I will see how it is then. My surgery was a success in that I am no longer on any medication and will probably never be on it again.

My symptoms of low blood sugar was that I would feel flush and lighthead. I would feel weak. I was talking 500 mg twice a day and was looking to increase that before surgery. I had a 10 day liquid diet and when on that I had to discontinue my pills. I had one insulin shot while in the hospital but since then-no pills. At my 6 month follow up my A1c was 5.2. I will have labs drawn next month for my one year and I will see how it is then. My surgery was a success in that I am no longer on any medication and will probably never be on it again.

That's exactly how I feel when my bs drops. Good luck and hope they find out what is causing all of your symptoms.

Can someone explain to me why low blood sugar is happening when I am off of the Metformin completely?

Thanks for your help with this.

I have Type 2 diabetes as well. I remember seeing an interview on 60 Minutes a couple years ago where they were interviewing a group of people who had gastric bypass surgery. They mentioned that one of the effects of bariatric surgery was immediate "curing" of diabetes. It seems that the removal of the lower portion of the stomach causes a hormonal change which has a positive effect on blood sugar and how your body processes it. I think I am remembering correctly.

I have Type 2 diabetes as well. I remember seeing an interview on 60 Minutes a couple years ago where they were interviewing a group of people who had gastric bypass surgery. They mentioned that one of the effects of bariatric surgery was immediate "curing" of diabetes. It seems that the removal of the lower portion of the stomach causes a hormonal change which has a positive effect on blood sugar and how your body processes it. I think I am remembering correctly.

From what I have heard it's the removal from part of the intestine that eliminates diabetes. We don't have that with the sleeve so it isn't immediate but it sounds like it still can happen in a short period of time.

Many, I would venture to say most type II diabetics are immediately "cured" after receiving the sleeve. I'm betting that it is all about diet control. After the sleeve, you simply are not getting massive amounts of sugar.

Well nice to know im going on my two yr anniversary in a few weeks n still cant control my sugar levels are too tooo low at night especially I reached my goal in 9 months im not on meds but eat sweets alot to help me cope with sugar levels any advice please

Well nice to know im going on my two yr anniversary in a few weeks n still cant control my sugar levels are too tooo low at night especially I reached my goal in 9 months im not on meds but eat sweets alot to help me cope with sugar levels any advice please

i would suggest stop eating sugar/ carbs..... the sugar/carbs make your blood sugar rise and fall fast, if you eat high Protein and a good source of carb like veggies, oats/or grains, you BS won't rise as much or fall as fast and the protein will hold the bs for longer, my bs is between 80-100 most of the time