Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your tastes change after surgery?

I am only a week out and already I am noticing things I liked preop I don't like now. Just wondering if this is because I am so early out and at this point still kinda miserable that I don't like anything or if infact your tastes really do change.

Anyone have anything they really liked before surgery that they just can't stand now?

It's definitely normal. Although I am not quite 7 months out, so I can't speak about how long it will last. I have found that some things are too sweet that I also used to enjoy. For instance, on my little girls bday, the cake and ice cream were just overwhelmingly sweet. I mean just ridiculous. I never used to think that. I only ate a couple bites and I was full, but that is all I wanted anyway.

I also find myself making healthier food choices now. I love to eat a good salad and fruit! I could eat fruit all day everyday. I am dreading when it all goes out of season (very soon here). I just don't crave anything at all, so that helps!smile.gif

It's totally normal. I am 7 months out and so many tastes have changed. I now like bacon, which I couldn't stand before and that is just the beginning of it. Then there are things like my favorite frappachino that I no longer can tolerate :(

It is normal. I am almost 3 months out and there are foods I used to eat which I do not really enjoy now. However, the basic issue for me now is which foods i can digest easily. I really do not care what I eat now as long as I eat every 3-4 hours so that my body can burn the fat. Smooth digestion is a must in order to avoid the suffering.

They actually did. Namely, now I put onions in EVERYTHING! Also I actually like dark chocolate where before I hated it. It was the worst thing ever. I also think that being a life long Tomato hater (at least the actual chunks of vegetable) I'm coming around. I've had a sip of my husband's coke or things like that and it just tastes funny to me. I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any other big ones off the top of my head right now. I thought I got through the surgery just fine without my tastes changing but it happened several months into the journey when I realized it.

I don't care for bread much anymore. I didn't really like cheesecake. Pasta doesn't do it for me either. Sometimes I just crave meat. Like a juicy hamburger ( no bun of course) or a steak. makes me feel kinda weird when I get like that. :P

I notice really strong tastes, and I don't like sugary things. I didn't have a big sweet tooth before surgery, so I felt like cheese cake and fudge were too sweet to really like. Since surgery, just about any kind of sweet is too sweet. I think this has to do with our diet more than the surgery. Many of us had strict pre-op diets and then post-op diets, and we sort of weaned ourselves off the sugary stuff. We retrained our bodies/taste buds. (Isn't that how South Beach diet starts?)

The weirdest thing? i don't like plain Water especially the Aquafina brand. It tastes horrible to me. I prefer my Water flavored but not too flavored. I drink a lot of Sobe waters. Yesterday, I asked my son to add some Mio to my plain water. He's 12. He must have squirted a heck of a lot in there because we poured half out into a glass for him and diluted both of them with more plain water, and I still thought it was too sweet. :)

I'm 13 days post op and Ive noticed that everything is Too sweet. I'm still on full liquids so my options are limited but any fruit juice has to be diluted, premixed Protein Shakes r also super sweet to me. I brush my teeth constantly to get rid of the sweet taste in my mouth. I've never been a big sweets person, but I could definitely tolerate sugar better. Last night I took a couple of sips of Pickle Juice just to relieve my taste buds. My sleeve did fine with it. I love milk and notice that it's sweet too. Who knew?....

I'm just a few days over 3 months out from surgery. I had no pre-op diet requirements and didn't do one either. I did the food funeral thing, so I'm not sure the pre-op diet has much affect on the changing of taste buds.

I have had changes in tastes, but instead of stuff I used to like and now don't like or vice versa, I now tire of foods very quickly and get bored with stuff easily. That is VERY unlike me. I'm a single lady and quite honestly had eating habits like a guy bachelor. I would buy/ eat the same stuff over and over with never an issue.

salad still is still a pretty regular mainstay in my diet, but I think because I can vary it up with what I put in it keeps me from getting too bored with it.

I have always had a sweet tooth, and still do like sweets- but I don't find myself craving them unless i am surrounded by them like last week I had to travel for work, was in all day meetings and there was non-stop catering all day long with mid day Snacks of Cookies, pastries, you name it. Yes, I was bad- but I do find if I eat too much of the sweets it makes my stomach churn and I get diarrhea pretty quickly after that. I wish I could say that that experience will stop me from trying sweets again, but I know better. I am just going to try and keep things in moderation. I still have a lot of restriction which I am SOOOO thankful for!!! Thank you SLEEVE!!!!

I notice really strong tastes, and I don't like sugary things. I didn't have a big sweet tooth before surgery, so I felt like cheese cake and fudge were too sweet to really like. Since surgery, just about any kind of sweet is too sweet. I think this has to do with our diet more than the surgery. Many of us had strict pre-op diets and then post-op diets, and we sort of weaned ourselves off the sugary stuff. We retrained our bodies/taste buds. (Isn't that how South Beach diet starts?)

The weirdest thing? i don't like plain Water especially the Aquafina brand. It tastes horrible to me. I prefer my Water flavored but not too flavored. I drink a lot of Sobe waters. Yesterday, I asked my son to add some Mio to my plain water. He's 12. He must have squirted a heck of a lot in there because we poured half out into a glass for him and diluted both of them with more plain water, and I still thought it was too sweet. :)