Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protein is hard to swallow

i have been trying to be good. eat my Protein and then some fruit or veggies. however when i eat the protein it hurts. i feel all gassy like im gonna burp barf everywhere. i have been taking my time,chewing well, but i still feel this way. i am able to eat other things without this pain/gas, but when its meat or cheese i feel sick from it. i cant do the Protein Shakes, i hate them. yes im on a ppi, and gas pill. is this normal and will go away? i just hope that this feeling doesnt last forever.

I can't eat a lot of meat/fish Protein comfortably, either. Try chili or a blended Soup (chicken meat in chicken broth with some seasonings) and see if that goes down more easily. I eat a lot of dairy protein--cottage cheese, regular cheese, Greek yogurt--maybe try softer dairy? Boiled shrimp works comfortably for me, as does broiled/grilled fish (thicker instead of thin and dry) or baked fish (soft and moist).

I will also say that I can't eat much of the Protein food at one time without feeling horribly full and uncomfortable; I can eat almost twice as much yogurt as roasted chicken, for instance.

Can you tolerate the Protein Bars? They might make a difference for you; they have for me.

I'm sure the Protein is typically going to feel heavier as it's usually more dense. I agree that a blended Soup with some chicken would be good, or chili with finely ground beef or even ground turkey.

Oh my I feel the exact same way - I am not in a good place right now and can't really recommend the sleeve to anyone. I feel like I will never be able to eat Protein and sustain myself. I can't do the Protein drinks either. I struggle with my fluids daily too. It is so annoying right now and makes me sad.

i have been trying to be good. eat my Protein and then some fruit or veggies. however when i eat the protein it hurts. i feel all gassy like im gonna burp barf everywhere. i have been taking my time,chewing well, but i still feel this way. i am able to eat other things without this pain/gas, but when its meat or cheese i feel sick from it. i cant do the protein shakes, i hate them. yes im on a ppi, and gas pill. is this normal and will go away? i just hope that this feeling doesnt last forever.

I have all that too this sucks...I want to eat right all I can eat is Greek yogurt and cottage cheese....I'm trying...

thanks ladies, at least i know im not alone. i have been able to eat Soups without to much trouble so hopefully adding more Protein there will help. i have tried Isopure, muscle milk, and some other ones that i havent liked. i do like the slim fast shakes, i just am getting tired of it. i want a little more variety. i tried eating chili today. i could manage a few bites without the hurt. i will keep trecking along.

mememeee-i know it will get better. soon you will be happy with it. i am still really happy that i got it. i feel like i finally have control over my food addiction. i dont constantly think of food anymore. that is great for me.

@Sassy' date=' what brand of Protein shake did you try?[/quote']

@ NikiJ .... I am about 9 days post op and can't get enough Protein. I'm using the Lose it program to track and scanning the bar codes. Which protein shakes do you recommend? Drinking has been really hard at all, got thrush couple days ago. Mouth hurts along with the sore stomach.

Thanks for any advice.

That's where I get mine. I tried the vanilla. Not really fond of it. Kind of had a caramel taste. Too sweet. Don't know what you are allowed to eat. Every NUT is different. I am 6 weeks out. I eat meat, meat meat :). Can add veggies in 2 weeks. I can't count any food Protein toward my daily goal - only protein drinks. There's some good Protein Bars out there that are tasty. Found a strawberry yogurt from Dannon caled Kight and Fit. It's diabetic friendly so low carbs and sugar. Small container though. Had some bacon tonight for the first time. Too rich. Made me kind of queasy. eggs are good. Sometimes I use canned tuna and add some salsa for flavor.

I am about 2 1/2 months post op and have a Protein Shake for Breakfast every morning. I *love* the Syntrax double stuffed cookie flavor. It has 23 grams of Protein and 100 calories. I make it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk (30 calories per cup). It tastes like a melted Oreo ice cream shake (to me). :-)

Not sure if you like coffee (or can have some caffeine), but I am obsessed with the Chike coffee Protein powder! I make my shake with Califia Farms vanilla almond milk & a dash of cinnamon. It's divine!