Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

all i want to do is sleep...

I'm 12 days post op. I am suffering some major buyers remorse, anxiety and depression. All I want to do is stay in my house and sleep. I cry when my husband leaves for work and am on edge. I am having a hard time getting all my fluids in. I saw my PCP yesterday who recommended I see a therapist. However I can't get into the therapist until the 26th. I'm in this awful rut and I hate it. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm so sorry things are hard right now. Please remember you did just have major surgery. Almost everyone thinks,"What have I done?" That is completely normal. You aren't even 2 weeks out so I know things are still really hard and your are trying to adjust to your new schedule. I am 2 months out and took a long time to feel normal again. And by the way sleep is a good thing it helps your body heal. Just try to remember to sip while you are awake. And realistically I couldn't drink the full amount of liquids til the first month. I too had a lot of emotions to deal with and really relied on my family to constantly reassure me. It can be scary and downright depressing but it does get better, I promise. Please feel free to email me any time.

I'm 12 days post op. I am suffering some major buyers remorse, anxiety and depression. All I want to do is stay in my house and sleep. I cry when my husband leaves for work and am on edge. I am having a hard time getting all my fluids in. I saw my PCP yesterday who recommended I see a therapist. However I can't get into the therapist until the 26th. I'm in this awful rut and I hate it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Awwww... sending you (((HUGS)))

I sincerely hope it changes for you..... Your doc may not have mentioned this but your hormones are crazy for a little bit after this surgery. It hapens to many of us... It happened to me and I did not even realize it, my husband made a comment to me one day that he wished I would just be "normal" and not snap at him or be so quick to get mad at the slightest thing, I did not even realize this was happening... In my mind I was wrapped up on what I was going through with the surgery and with healing, and with getting my protien in,,, I was all soaked up in me...that I didnt think about what I was doing to others in my house.. and I seemed so extremly tired all the time, like all I wanted to do is sleep, stay in my bed all day. .At my 4 week check up I brought it up to my doc that I was so moody, big mood swings and he told me the surgery brings out all kinds of things and my hormones go into high gear... he said just give it a couple more weeks and things will calm down... and he was right... by the time I hit the 7 -8 week mark my mood swings were gone, I was back being me.

I sincerely hope things level out for you, good luck my friend.

I'm two weeks out today and I am going through the same thing. It started the day after I stopped taking the pain medication. I spent that whole day crying and sleeping and have been depressed since. It doesn't help matters that I recently went through a breakup with the man I thought I would marry. There's a pinned topic about depression. You should go through it. It made me feel more normal. I don't know about you but it kind of feels like PMS for me. I'm so sad and angry but I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. I know it gets better because I've seen so many people on this board go through this, and when I see them at or approaching goal they all seem so happy. Good luck.

I am 2 days post op and feeling miserable. My left side pulls constantly, I have been dry heaving since gettin home from the hospital yesterday and have a bit of blurred vision. So please excuse any typos.

I am having buyer's remorse as well. ALl I want to do is sleep. I wake every 1.5 hours though amd walk, do my respiratory therapy and drink another ounce of something. I have been taking prvacid and gasx and they are helping some but I am having strong hunger pangs as well. Nothing tastes good. I am trying to drink a Protein shake today as my 1 ounce every 15 minuts. But, I know I have missed alot of them since I keep sleeping so much.

I am praying for all of us to get better. For now, I am a bit depressed and miserable.

I know you feel awful and trust me when I tell you that everyday you WILL get better and better. Do you exercises and Drink!! If nothing else, focus on the one ounce every 10 minutes. That will keep you from getting dehydrated. You don't want that on top of everything else.

If you can, drink some Protein Drink that will help you too. Those liquids count as your liquids also. So SIP SIP SIP!! Do your walking and those breathing exercises. They suck, but will make you heal!! In 3-4 days you will have forgotten all about feeling so crappy. I guarantee it.

Hugs,

Kelly :)

I was an emotional wreck for the first few weeks also, I had major crying jags and was really mean to my husband. :) It DOES get better, at 4 weeks out I feel like a million bucks!

The Protein will DEFINITELY give you energy, between the Protein and no longer eating total crap food, I feel like I could jump over a skyscraper!!

Hang in there, I know it's rough but it will improve. Feel free to keep venting here, we all understand what you are going through.

Hi I'm 3 weeks out and I to am cry and mad or pissed all the time this does suck but my husband was the same way but mad as all hell so he get better so will we...and I did go sew some one cause it does help...good luck and just hold on tight ....it will pass.....

Thanks everyone. Day 4 now and a bit better. Taking prevacid amd

Gasx both morning amd night seems to alleviate

The dry heaves. I find that i cant tolerate my carnation

shakes so maybe lactose is an issue now. My sweet hubby

Took vacation time and has been taking care of me. He found

Me some Protein Shots today 32g per tube and they have

Helped alot.

The nurse at the hospital gave me a trick for feeling nauseious, if you put an alcohol swab or any cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol on the bridge of your nose and breath in through your nose slowly and out through your mouth. It really worked for me and I never heaved. As for the taste, everything changed for me I loved the chocolate pre op and then after I hated it (still do) I found I love the fruite ones (Syntax nectar Lemonaid ) is my favorite, but all the fuite ones are ok with my new pallet. I am now 4 weeks post op and eating soft food but it too is dificult to find what tastes and feels right, don't worry you just need to find what works for you. I hope you feel better soon.

I am 2 days post op and feeling miserable. My left side pulls constantly, I have been dry heaving since gettin home from the hospital yesterday and have a bit of blurred vision. So please excuse any typos.

I am having buyer's remorse as well. ALl I want to do is sleep. I wake every 1.5 hours though amd walk, do my respiratory therapy and drink another ounce of something. I have been taking prvacid and gasx and they are helping some but I am having strong hunger pangs as well. Nothing tastes good. I am trying to drink a Protein shake today as my 1 ounce every 15 minuts. But, I know I have missed alot of them since I keep sleeping so much.

I am praying for all of us to get better. For now, I am a bit depressed and miserable.

There are two good reasons you want to sleep all the time after getting home from surgery - the first is your body is still getting over the effects of the anasthesia. Different people take different amounts of time to get totally over the drugs they use. I spent one night in the hospital, but it took me a minimum of two weeks to get free of the effects of anasthesia - I kept falling asleep with little or no warning. This has happened each time after I had surgery. Back in the day when you recuperated from surgery in the hospital, rather than at home - it was less noticeable. The other reason you want to sleep is your body isn't getting the fluids and Protein it needs. I agree with everyone else - sip continually while you are awake. I even keep a bottle of Water next to the bed so when I wake up in the night to go pee, I drink then.

Also - everyone is depressed to some degree after surgery and after getting off the pain pills. The reality of what you have done hits you - and the enormity of the journey ahead of you. Right now - you don't see any rewards - just the pain / discomfort and the realization that your good buddy food isn't your good buddy any more. Hang tough and take it a day at a time. Practice the behaviors you need to learn to be successfull with your sleeve - sipping throughout the day, getting in as much Protein as possible and walking as much as possible. Be sure and take pictures and take your measurements now, so you will have things to compare to as the weight starts rapidly falling off.

The rewards of your decision will come soon. Me - I am not a patient person - I was not into "delayed gratification" - which is why food was my good buddy for so many years. I have had to learn that some things really are worth waiting and working for. The sleeve was a great choice for me - I couldn't be happier with my decision. I still have close to 30 pounds to go, and those are going to be harder than the first 90 - but I have the skills built that will get me there. You can do this, too.

Good luck. If you want to ask me anything during your sleeve journey - feel free to PM me.

Two other items - my favorite easy Protein drink is Isopure PLUS. I ordered it from Amazon.com. 8 ounces, 15 grams of Protein. Tastes like crystal lite - punch flavor and a grape frost flavor. My NUT told me that anything over 20-25 grams of protein at once was a waste of money, cause my body couldn't absorb that much protein at once and just excreted the rest.

The other thing - for nauseau - try fresh ginger. Get a piece of ginger root from the grocery's produce section. When feeling nauseus, cut a small piece of ginger from the large root and smell the cut section of ginger. Sounds wierd, but it works the same way that ginger ale settles your stomach. :o