Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Salad Anyone!?!?!

Hey yall,

Hope your weight loss is going well. I am 7 weeks out and have been craving a salad ever since. According to my doctor I still cannot have raw veggies and fruit! I've tried watermelon and had no problems at all, what about you guys? When did you start putting fruit and raw veggies back into your diet and did you have any problems with digestion or cramping? Let me know:-)

I too was craving salad and raw veggies. Listen to your doctor - he's telling you this so you don't stress out your stomach while it is still healing. When you do start eating veggies - pick the easier ones to digest to eat raw (tomatoes, cucumbers). The cruciferous veggies (broccolli, cauliflower) I still don't eat raw - I eat them cooked- and I'm six months out.. I ate asparagras (cooked) too soon, and gave myself stomach pains for 2 days from it. And, after having trouble twice from too much raw celery - I now limit myself to one rib raw. (cooked doesn't bother me.) I don't eat much raw salad greens - a little goes a long way with me.

Almost 2 years out and can't do salads. . the lettuce, no matter how much i chew it, causes me so much pain. . .and it's not just a "ouch that hurts" . . . it's a call me ambulance pain. . . so i stay FAR away from salad. . . and i used to love salads pre surgery. . . i can eat cooked leaves, like spinach and calaloo (jamaican greens) but no raw leaves. . . ugh

I started eating salad around 10 weeks post op, I can't eat much of it but when I do I don't have any issues with it.

This thread just goes to show how different our post op diets are! I was allowed to eat soft fruits (melon, berries) at 2 weeks, and anything (including all raw veggies) at 6 weeks. I haven't really eaten salads. I eat quite a bit of fruit, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes. I haven't had any problems with raw fruits or veggies. Good luck to you in your journey! You will find that when you have a craving it doesn't take much to satisfy it.

I love salad but the ingredients never go down smooth. i can have any veggies or fruit that have waxy coating on the seeds the only thing that really gives me trouble is lettuce and cucumbers :blink: im about 7 weeks out too

I can have cucumbers (and my pickles!!!) in month two, along with some other 'soft' veggies. No lettuce or other raw veg until month 3. I still have certain limitations at that point too. I'm craving salad also but i'm worried that lettuce will take up too much space, so I plan to do just tossed tomato/cucumber salads with dressing until I get better capacity.

Last week I really started going gung-ho on the salads. They are going down just fine. I have to remember to eat slow and chew well. I think that's the key to trying any new food (and sticking to your dr's advice of course).

I made a big salad tonight for my family; of course it's still off-limits to me. I nearly started drooling. :lol: Before surgery, I would have never thought I would be craving rabbit food!!

I made a big salad tonight for my family; of course it's still off-limits to me. I nearly started drooling. :lol: Before surgery, I would have never thought I would be craving rabbit food!!

I know, isn't that so bizarre! Starting about a week ago I ate a salad every day at lunch for OVER a week! (that wasn't me before surgery, my go to lunch was always a sandwich or burger) I guess it's because when someone tells you you can't have something...you want it more!

Don't worry ladies, your salad days will return before you know it!