Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IS THERE ANY LATINOS HERE????

I ASK IF THERE IS ANY LATINOS BECAUSE MY COOKING IS DIFERENT AND THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT CAN UNDERSATND WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT CONCERNING food RELATED, I DONT KNOW IF MY SEASONING OF THE FOOD IS GOOD FOR ME OR NOT BECAUSE I COOK LOTS OF FOOD FOR MY FAMILY AND I EAT FROM THAT meat AND Beans NOOOO RICE DO NOT YET IF SOMEONE CAN TELL ME WHAT TO EAT IS BETTER, MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO EAT SOFT SOLIDS BY NOW... I NEED HELPPP I AM DESPERATE IF I GAIN WEIGHT ILL DIE CRYING LOL :o

Mexican Cook Signing In!

Well, I started off with canned nonfat refried Beans with melted cheddar by the 3rd week. Making frijoles de la olla yourself is good because then you can control the fat. When I started making scrambled eggs I added tabasco. By week 5 I was putting "taco sauce" on my food and had my first little bowl of chile colorado (con carne de res). It was cooked long and slow so the meat was very tender. I also had sopa de fideo early on. During the mushy stage I was putting aguacate on all my meat so it went down easier.

Now that I'm almost 3 months out I've added chicharrones (not too much if they are fatty). I've also had mexican style shrimp cocktail, but it gave me diarrhea...I think it was too much Tomato, especially since I had just eaten some chips and salsa. Moderation is the key. Last weekend, for the first time since before surgery, I had my favorite breakfast---chorizo con huevos y nopalitos (fresh cut from the garden!) with a slice of queso fresco (Ranchero). The difference from before wls is that this time I only had one egg instead of 3, 1 corn tortill instead of 6, and no papas fritas. But the great thing about the sleeve is that I enjoyed it just as much. Next on my list is to try chile verde. I'm dying for some menudo, but I'm afraid it might be too rich to eat at this point. Oh, I have had tamales de puerco en chile colorado...que ricos!!

I think that's about it. All but the one exception has gone down fine, but I will tell you I've been on a PPI since the liquid stage, that definitely helps. My sleeve has not let me down--it's a Mexican sleeve--and still loves its chile picoso!!

Hilarious Adri! So glad to hear you have been able to eat so many great dishes early on.

I'm Dominican American and had been asking myself the same question as the original poster. We don't eat spicy foods like you, more like meats, Beans & rice, but now I know it can be done! I will try some of your foods though!

LaNena, I was thinking strained sancocho, pureed habichuelas rojas, very soft carnes guisadas,Cuban style black Beans etc. I guess a taste here and there of white rice :o or mangu won't kill me. I don't like canned Soups so I was thinking of making my own broths and/or buying some at restaurants.

** Hi there,

I am dominican too and i will have my precedure on 9/7 - I am doing the pre-op diet :( right now. I am very excited. I have the same question, but i think that I will stick just to clear foods in the beginning and will incorporate other foods later on..

good luck to all of us!

Vanessa

Hilarious Adri! So glad to hear you have been able to eat so many great dishes early on.

I'm Dominican American and had been asking myself the same question as the original poster. We don't eat spicy foods like you, more like meats, Beans & rice, but now I know it can be done! I will try some of your foods though!

LaNena, I was thinking strained sancocho, pureed habichuelas rojas, very soft carnes guisadas,Cuban style black Beans etc. I guess a taste here and there of white rice :o or mangu won't kill me. I don't like canned Soups so I was thinking of making my own broths and/or buying some at restaurants.

Mexican Cook Signing In!

Well, I started off with canned nonfat refried Beans with melted cheddar by the 3rd week. Making frijoles de la olla yourself is good because then you can control the fat. When I started making scrambled eggs I added tabasco. By week 5 I was putting "taco sauce" on my food and had my first little bowl of chile colorado (con carne de res). It was cooked long and slow so the meat was very tender. I also had sopa de fideo early on. During the mushy stage I was putting aguacate on all my meat so it went down easier.

Now that I'm almost 3 months out I've added chicharrones (not too much if they are fatty). I've also had mexican style shrimp cocktail, but it gave me diarrhea...I think it was too much Tomato, especially since I had just eaten some chips and salsa. Moderation is the key. Last weekend, for the first time since before surgery, I had my favorite breakfast---chorizo con huevos y nopalitos (fresh cut from the garden!) with a slice of queso fresco (Ranchero). The difference from before wls is that this time I only had one egg instead of 3, 1 corn tortill instead of 6, and no papas fritas. But the great thing about the sleeve is that I enjoyed it just as much. Next on my list is to try chile verde. I'm dying for some menudo, but I'm afraid it might be too rich to eat at this point. Oh, I have had tamales de puerco en chile colorado...que ricos!!

I think that's about it. All but the one exception has gone down fine, but I will tell you I've been on a PPI since the liquid stage, that definitely helps. My sleeve has not let me down--it's a Mexican sleeve--and still loves its chile picoso!!

HOLA, THANKS FOR THE REPLY

WELL I DO SALSA IN MY HABICHUELAS BUT HOW COME YOU CAN EAT TORTILLAS? SINCE WHEN CAN YOU START EATING THEM AND WHICH ONES PLEASE TELL ME, NOW ALL I BEEN EATING IS MASHPOTATOES CON CHILI ECHO POR MI, O CON CARNE DE POLLO HERVIDO, PK SIENTO QUE ENGORDARIA, NO ESTOY MIDIENDO LAS COSAS, SO THAT IS WHY I AM SCARED BUT AT THE SAME TIME I FEEL I DONT EAT ENOUGH CAUSE I AM ALWAYS HUNGRY...LO DE AGUACATE SOUNDS GOOD, ME ESTA ASIENDO DANIO LA LECHE ME DA NAUNCEA LA Protein shakes NO C QUE HACER CN ESO ANY IDEAS?? Y GRACIAS POR COMENTAR!!

HI, THANKS FOR THE REPLY

THAT RIGHT THERE IS MY PROBLEM :( THE RICE AND BEANS AND meat, I CAN DO THE BEANS AND meat BUT NOT THE RICE, IS LIKE ITS NOT RIGHT WITHOUT RICE LOL FOR US LATINOS OR WITH Pasta OR TORTILLAS, SO I JUST DO CHILLI LIKE WITH THE BEANS AND CARNE MOLIDA, MASH POTATOES WITH TURKEY HAM, LIKE PUT THE MASH POTATOES IN THE HAM AND ROLL IT IT TASTE SO GOOD WITH A fruit ON TOP, WE CALL THAT NINO EMBUELTO LOL BUT I AM GETTING TIRED OF EATING THAT, I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE SANCOCHO IT SOUNDS GOOD BUT ILL JUST FEEL MY EYES ONLY CAUSE I GET FULL SOOO QUICK, I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM BEFROE WLS I USED TO EAT AND DRINK SO QUICK AND NOW IT IS SO DIFFICULT FOR ME TO WAIT TO DRINK SOMETHING, NOW CAN U TELL ME WHAT U DRINK?? I WANT TO NOW WHAT OTHER CHOICES I HAVE, AND THANK FOR THE RECEPIES ILL TRY THEM!!

HI, THANKS FOR THE REPLY

THAT RIGHT THERE IS MY PROBLEM :( THE RICE AND BEANS AND meat, I CAN DO THE BEANS AND meat BUT NOT THE RICE, IS LIKE ITS NOT RIGHT WITHOUT RICE LOL FOR US LATINOS OR WITH Pasta OR TORTILLAS, SO I JUST DO CHILLI LIKE WITH THE BEANS AND CARNE MOLIDA, MASH POTATOES WITH TURKEY HAM, LIKE PUT THE MASH POTATOES IN THE HAM AND ROLL IT IT TASTE SO GOOD WITH A fruit ON TOP, WE CALL THAT NINO EMBUELTO LOL BUT I AM GETTING TIRED OF EATING THAT, I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE SANCOCHO IT SOUNDS GOOD BUT ILL JUST FEEL MY EYES ONLY CAUSE I GET FULL SOOO QUICK, I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM BEFROE WLS I USED TO EAT AND DRINK SO QUICK AND NOW IT IS SO DIFFICULT FOR ME TO WAIT TO DRINK SOMETHING, NOW CAN U TELL ME WHAT U DRINK?? I WANT TO NOW WHAT OTHER CHOICES I HAVE, AND THANK FOR THE RECEPIES ILL TRY THEM!!

** Hi there,

I am dominican too and i will have my precedure on 9/7 - I am doing the pre-op diet :( right now. I am very excited. I have the same question, but i think that I will stick just to clear foods in the beginning and will incorporate other foods later on..

good luck to all of us!

Vanessa

HI,

GOOD LOCH TO YOU, I WANTED TO CRY THE FIRST TWO WEEKS BECAUSE I FELT SO DIFFERENT I WANTED food SO BAD, BUT PLEASE READ WHAT PEOPLE POST, GET AN IDEA OF HOW IT WORKS CAUSE IN THE BEGGINING IS HARD BUT THEN YOU WILL BE GETTING USED TO EAT, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!!!!

Thanks for your reply. I am doing my best. I am ready .

HI,

GOOD LOCH TO YOU, I WANTED TO CRY THE FIRST TWO WEEKS BECAUSE I FELT SO DIFFERENT I WANTED food SO BAD, BUT PLEASE READ WHAT PEOPLE POST, GET AN IDEA OF HOW IT WORKS CAUSE IN THE BEGGINING IS HARD BUT THEN YOU WILL BE GETTING USED TO EAT, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!!!!

Hi Nena, I think I'm much farther from surgery than you. I am almost 3 months out. I had my first corn tortilla at about 2 months out; I only had 1/2 a tortilla at first and chewed it real well. I tried 1/2 a flour tortilla at about 2-1/2 months out. I first tried a mild chile sauce 3 weeks after surgery; I'm fortunate the spice didn't bother me. When I tried the chile colorado, it was about 1/3 of a cup and the sauce was not thick. I could only eat small amounts at a time. And I only eat tortilla maybe 2x a week. I'm not advising you do this, I'm just letting you know that I tried these things a little at a time and have felt fine.

HI LADIES IM GETTING MY SURGERY DONE IN 2 DAYS N IM NOT NERVOUS @ ALL ABOUT IT IM JUST WORRIED BOUT THE POST OP.... IM WORRIED ILL GO CRAZY THE FIRST THREE MONTHS.... IM ALSO DOMINICAN BORN N RAISED IN NY N IVE BEEN RAISED EATING RICE N Beans N PLANTAINS ALL MY LIFE.... MY QUESTION IS, IS IT REALLY HARD N DEPRESSING THE FIRST THREE MONTHS N IS THERE A WAY TO EASE THE FRUSTRATIONS???

Hi Lali.

I have not had surgery yet, so can't answer your questions about post-op but there is LOTS of information on this website about it. Do a search (top right) and you will find lots of useful tips and advice.

Congratulations and welcome! I think you will like this site.

Looking forward to knowing all about the yummy Dominican stuff you will create as the months go by! :)

Hi,

I'm also Dominican, I was sleeved 2 1/2 yrs ago. I lost 105lbs in all. I was 256lbs pre-op.

My nutritionist put me on a 2 weeks liquids only diet, post-op. Then puree, no rice or Pasta for 3 months! It was hard as hell, but, I did it, I don't know how, but, I did, lol.

I used to eat meat and Beans pureed. Also, about 2 spoons of mashed potatoes or green bananas mashed with some meat gravy. Broccoli puree with meat and lots of meat sauce, almost like baby food consistency. It looks bad, but it tasted good, thanks to my mom's cooking, lol ;)

I was not allowed to eat salad either. Again, it wasn't easy, but, it worked! Also, my Protein shakes 2 a day, Premier Protein from costco 30g of Protein, and lots of liquids during the day, ex: sugar free Vitamin Water. Don't skip meals, eat every 3hrs, even if not feeling hungry. And as soon as you can, join a gym. Talk to a trainer, explain you had the surgery, and work on a routine. Start slow, very little energy at the beginning. I used to do 15-20mnts on the bike at the beginning, and then went home, felt like I was going to die. After a few months, I was doing 1 1/2hrs, cardio and weights ;)

Wishing everyone the best.

I'm open to any questions you might have ;)

This is one of my biggest concerns too, not only the fact that I cook the Beans, rice and tortillas y sopas... But being Mexican we revolve around food, tired-eat, nervous-eat, happy-eat, sad-eat, mad-eat... New job- eat, birthday-eat and so on!!! Everything we do involves the kitchen, I soothe my family and friends with my food. I don't know how to stop that.