Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am getting concerned about being hungry all the time. I am almost 3 months out from surgery and can now eat too much! On 5/9 I weighed 320 and had surgery on 5/23 and on 8/10 I weighed 263. I went on vacation on 8/10 and on 8/18 I weighed 270 - a 7 pound gain!. During vacation I ate burgers, pizza, Pasta, chips, etc. I can eat large portions, too! And I'm hungry! I can also drink and eat at the same time with no issue. I didn't think we were supposed to be ABLE to do that. I do get uncomfortably full - but not until I've eaten 3 McDoubles from McDonalds and being uncomfortable full is a very familiar feeling. Now all of this crazy junk food eating has only existed for the last 10 days - but I'm finding it hard to put it down now that I know my govenor isn't as strict as I thought. What do I do now? How do I fix this?

I would recommend the 5 day pouch test (google it). Also, eating all the junk typically leads to more hunger.

As for capacity, your anatomy could play a large role in that, or if you are eating/drinking simultaneously that's pretty much making the food go through faster. Pretty much everything you listed are slider foods for the most part. We can drink and eat at the same time, we just aren't supposed to do it.

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should. And, unfortunately, there has to be some personal accountability when it comes to "what' we put in our mouths. I can eat quite a bit of food, nothing near 3 burgers, but I can eat more foods that are sliderish/mushy. Get your focus back on Protein dense foods.

You ain't use'n your tool, man. No, not that one, the NEW one. Drinking and eating doesn't allow the the food to stay in the stomach, so you get hungry again. Stop drinking and eating and you'll lose again.

I am getting concerned about being hungry all the time. I am almost 3 months out from surgery and can now eat too much! On 5/9 I weighed 320 and had surgery on 5/23 and on 8/10 I weighed 263. I went on vacation on 8/10 and on 8/18 I weighed 270 - a 7 pound gain!. During vacation I ate burgers, pizza, Pasta, chips, etc. I can eat large portions, too! And I'm hungry! I can also drink and eat at the same time with no issue. I didn't think we were supposed to be ABLE to do that. I do get uncomfortably full - but not until I've eaten 3 McDoubles from McDonalds and being uncomfortable full is a very familiar feeling. Now all of this crazy junk food eating has only existed for the last 10 days - but I'm finding it hard to put it down now that I know my govenor isn't as strict as I thought. What do I do now? How do I fix this?

I am sitting here in total disbelief! After all you had to go through to get the sleeve, I sure hope you learn to use it to help yourself. You have been given some good advice and I sure hope you heed it. I would hate for you to regain your weight. In addition to what they said above, maybe start changing the places you eat, such as Subway instead of burgers, deli sandwich instead of pizza, etc, Good luck and I hope you get a handle on this soon.

oh my goodness, everyone is right! you need to get back on track for yourself. just because you can jump in front of a bus doesnt meen you should. same with mcdonalds!!! just because you can eat there doesnt mean you should! it is honestly the worst thing in the world for anybody to eat!! have you ever seen super size me??? JUST DONT GO THERE! I hope for your sake you have learned from your mistakes and get back on track. good luck to you....i hope you can do it.

First, quit eating at fast food places. You need to change mentality, eat lean meats (turkey, chicken, fish). Swap fruits and vegetables for high calorie items. And agree with other poster, don't drink and eat a lot at same time, just enough if you have to wash it down. Remember you can eat your way out of the surgery, you stomach is still tissue and can expand. Control the food don't let it control you.

Track your calories, that will help you know how much you are eating and will make you more alert to what you are doing to yourself.

Hi Jimmez, sorry you're struggling with hunger. For some people it just doesn't go away. Taking an antacid helps some people with hunger. You'd have to try it for a couple of weeks to see if it helps.

You may still be eligible for part 2 of a duodenal switch (DS). You're already half way there with the VSG. You'd have to really cut down on the carbs with the DS though, ie burger with half or no bun. You malabsorb 80% of the fat you consume with the DS and most DSers do fine with high fat and high Protein diets (a few have to experiment to find an amount of fat consumption that suits them).

If the DS were a path you wanted to go down you'd have to get a reputable surgeon (see www.dsfacts.com). With DS you have to take NUMEROUS supplements (you may be able to get some from your PCP on script) and you'd have to consume >100g protein/day.

If you're interested in the DS you really do have to research as it's not a surgery to be taken lightly.

All the best and I hope you find something that works for you.

Be careful. My aunt had the sleeve done a couple years ago and gained back 15 lbs of her weight lost. She had a barium swallow done to see how her stomach looked, and she's growing a pouch on her sleeve from eating too quickly.

Its up to you to make it work. The food choices and quantities you are eating are not going to make it work. The DS may be your route to go but like it was said above, it is not something to be taken lightly.

I am hungry alot too. I guess some of us just never lose it completely. With that said, certain factors contribute. Do you exercise alot? I exercise atleast 5 days a week and intense so the doc says I am creating some hunger by working out so hard. This journey for me is not as easy as others in the fact that I have to work just as hard as before, work out just as much and watch everything I eat. I read about those who have weight just falling off. Stay focused!! Exercise if you don't, and fill yourself with the most dense Protein you can before all else. I find that cottage cheese and fish fill me the most and the quickest with the smallest amounts so it becomes making the RIGHT choice!! People like us who can still eat everything and in greater quantities just have to work at it more. You didn't go through this process to continue on your old path so change it now while you still can!! Good luck!!

Thanks for the kick in the butt everyone. I am refocusing on the basics. I ate 4 small meals today for 1250 calories (120 grams of protein) and drank 6 bottles of Water. I also walked 2 miles at a sustained heart rate of 130. I guess I thought is was "cured" and freaked when it was so easy to step into old habits. Y'all reminded me that I still have to make a choice to be healthy - the difference is that the choice to make healthy decisions is so much easier with the sleeve than without. I will look into taking the PPI and the Pouch Test looks like a good way to Celebrate the VSG annually on its annivesary. Thanks again.

that is great! way to kick it into high gear again!

I am still on full liquids, just started them yesterday so I'm having 1/4c 3 times a day plus my Fluid. I am VERY hungry, not head hunger, actual stomach growling making lots of noise I feel like I'm starving hunger. Is that just because my food is sliding right through my stomach? There is no retention of the food to make me feel full? I will stay full for about 1 hour after eating but that's it. What advice do you all have? Should I have 1/4c of full liquids more than 3 times a day? One of my servings is no more than 25-40 calories depending what I have so it's not like it will be a weight gain issue. Please help.

It should get easier once you get on to mushies as the food is indeed pretty much going straight through.

You're not having many calories at all present, so have more!! Sip as necessary, Soup, yogurt... you must be near fainting!

I am still on full liquids, just started them yesterday so I'm having 1/4c 3 times a day plus my Fluid. I am VERY hungry, not head hunger, actual stomach growling making lots of noise I feel like I'm starving hunger. Is that just because my food is sliding right through my stomach? There is no retention of the food to make me feel full? I will stay full for about 1 hour after eating but that's it. What advice do you all have? Should I have 1/4c of full liquids more than 3 times a day? One of my servings is no more than 25-40 calories depending what I have so it's not like it will be a weight gain issue. Please help.

hello, what do you mean she is growing a pouch?

Be careful. My aunt had the sleeve done a couple years ago and gained back 15 lbs of her weight lost. She had a barium swallow done to see how her stomach looked, and she's growing a pouch on her sleeve from eating too quickly.