Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico surgery if your not to tired to share.

I went to Dr. Aceves in Mexico. While I don't have any problem with him (or his assitant, Dr. Campos), I wasn't totally happy with the nurses at the hospital. There was very little education post-op and the language barrier made things pretty difficult. I did get a lot of education pre-op, but everything was happening so fast that I forgot a lot of it. I feel it would've been a better experience if the nurses would've continued teaching after my surgery.

Another potential issue is that the docs in the USA seem to give actual narcotics for pain post op, and in Mexico most of the doctors use a drug called toradol. For me, this was completely fine and it worked wonders for my pain, but I think it depends on your pain threshold.

With all of this being said... I am completely happy and confident that I made a good decision. I had a completely sucessful surgery and recovery with very little pain and no complications. I have been a patient in the USA for various problems and surgeries, and I can't say that I had any better quality of care here than there. I don't know about Dr. Ramos, but have heard many good comments on him on these boards.

Good luck with your decision!

I want good bad and ugly information about surgery in mexico, I am considering Dr. Kelly Ramos.

I too went to Dr. Aceves. No ugly or bad. I researched the sleeve pretty thoroughly before going and there were no surprises for me. I thought the nurses were fine, gave me IVs and meds on time and we pantomimed when there was a language barrier. Like I said in another post, no nausea, no vomiting, no pain, and 9.5 lbs from goal for me. That's a success in my book!

I went to Dr Kelly in Tijuana MX and had a wonderful experience!! Not much pain, little discomfort, no nausea or throwing up, no leak or complications, and I am off my type 2 diabetes meds now and seem to be cured or in "remission" For a detailed day by day experience, please see my profile and look in the "about me". I highly recommend him. I feel he literally saved my life. Please msg me if you have any questions.

:)

Kelly M, your post has really inspired me. I am newly diagnosed as type 2 diabetic and I'm 35. It scares me to have it so young and I'm around 220 lbs right now. It's the heaviest I've ever been. Not pleased at all. Told my husband i want to get weight loss surgery (VSG) and he is supportive. He's sick of seeing me cry about my weight and issues. You are affirming my choice to have the sleeve. I am planning on going in Feb for surgery.

!

My surgery is march 27th 2012 with Dr. Almanza ( Mexico ).... I'm very nervous. I have done tons of research on this surgery, the hospital an the doctor. Among many things I most afraid of failure! Is this the best group for me or do you have any suggestion to a really good support group:)

Hello everybody, I am going to Dr. Almanza on March 5. I am very nervous. Everybody I have said Mexico to they make it sound like I will not return. So I need to hear all the positive. Its hard for me because I have never been on a plane. lol Mentally I am calm about the actual surgery.

Try not to be nervous. Been years since I been on a plane but I've never been afraid to fly. It's quite nice actually. I have always loved the whole experience. And looking down at the country below..amazing!

Have a safe and fun flight!!!! :)

I went to Almanza 14+ months ago. My considered opinion is that "you get what you pay for", that is a cut rate "experience" for a cut rate price. It worked out marvelously for me, I have lost about 175 pounds and look and feel wonderful. My only issues were: a noisy environment, staff and patients are packed in like sardines and the place was terribly noisy. Language barrier, if you don't know spanish you may be at a disadvantage. My stay at the recovery house was very crowded but pleasant. I had a LOT of nausea (I just do after ANY surgery) and the staff got a little huffy with me when they had to keep giving me anti nausea drugs, but then again I've had the same " 'tude" here in the states as well by surgical staff so I don't put much into this. I would do it again but perhaps at a different place.

However, and that's a BIG however. Since then there was an armed robbery at the recovery house and an issue with the sites owner brow beating a few patients and some claiming they spotted ants in the surgical area. This has caused me to withdraw my endorsement of the center.

Many came after me and have had a great experience with no problems, so you will have to come to your own conclusion.

IANAD, IANAL, YMMV

Hello everybody, I am going to Dr. Almanza on March 5. I am very nervous. Everybody I have said Mexico to they make it sound like I will not return. So I need to hear all the positive. Its hard for me because I have never been on a plane. lol Mentally I am calm about the actual surgery.

I was just there a month ago. I've been in scarier parts of safe cities here in the US than Tijuana. I felt perfectly safe the entire time.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/30160-my-review-of-dr-almanza-thus-far/page__p__259870#entry259870

There's my story. 100% honest, 100% true experience.

There are places in Mexico I would never go. Juarez has been rated a "war zone" by the state department. Tijuana doesn't have any travel advisories out of the ordinary.

I'm going may 23rd to almanza. I have been thinking more and more about booking the hotel ticuan after hearing how loud everything is.

MirandaK,

I stayed at the recovery house for the afternoon after surgery since I was alone. However, I was in a full recovery house with 4-5 beds in the room with me all taken. It was too crowded and too loud. Don't get me wrong, if I could sleep through lots of noise, I would have possibly stayed. It is nicely decorated and the staff is very polite. However, a loud car alarm, loud barking dogs, and being packed in with so many people caused me to leave to the hotel for the night. It is a BEAUTIFUL hotel and there is plenty of room to rest and relax. It is pretty quiet at the hotel. The following morning I went and had the leak test and passed it. If you pass your leak test, you can leave a full day early. I certainly left early and headed back to San Diego for some rest, relaxation, and even some sight seeing. Best wishes!!

I was sleeved by Dr. Garcia on April 20th. I had a very pleasant experience. The people that want to scare you about Mexico most likely are very uneducated about what Mexico is really like these days. I went walking alone in Tijuana(during the day) and never felt unsafe. Dr. Garcia, the nurses and other docs were awesome! Do your research and listen to your gut :)

I was sleeved by Dr. Garcia on April 20th. I had a very pleasant experience. The people that want to scare you about Mexico most likely are very uneducated about what Mexico is really like these days. I went walking alone in Tijuana(during the day) and never felt unsafe. Dr. Garcia' date=' the nurses and other docs were awesome! Do your research and listen to your gut :)[/quote']

How are you doing how much have u lost I will be going in 2/2014