Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you tell work?

I am curious what did you tell your employer when you asked for the time off? How did you handle nosey questions before you left for surgery and after you returned?

Told my employer I was taking vacation for 2 weeks and that I was having a medical procedure. Told my co-workers I was taking 2 weeks off for vacation. Since I was on the pre-op diet for many weeks before I had surgery and it coincided with our annual healthy team competition, I was vocal about how much weight i was losing prior to even having the surgery, so when I got back everyone just thought I was still doing the same small portion, doctor supervised plan I was before I left. There is a small number of people in my office that know about the procedure but I decided I didn't want the whole world to know my business.

Since I'm not going to be off more than 7 days of work I didn't need to worry about claiming disability or FMLA - so I just took a few vacation days and told my boss I was having a minor medical procedure. Most of the people I work with know what type of surgery I'm having and those that don't know now, will likely know soon (they are a gossipy bunch). I'm not a very private person so I'm not worried about it. :)

I told them that I was having gall bladder surgery. I don't think they would be understanding of WLS.

My manager was very very supportive of this for me if it would make me healthy. His mantra is health and family first, we can handle anything here without you for a little while. I told those people in my group and some outside. Others that have asked how I lost weight afterwards, I told them that I was on a high protein/low carb diet. I am sure that most people know about it because of office "gossip" but I don't care, honestly, if they want to know about it I have no problem telling them if they ask me straight out. If they ask and are rudely opinionated about it I have no problem telling them where to go also, and everyone knows that about me LOL.

Vacation. The only person in my company who knows is my partner in my department and she's very supportive and won't tell a soul. Now that I'm losing weight fairly rapidly I've decided that once I'm about 2/3 of the way to my goal I will tell people because there are a few who could really benefit from this if they choose, and our insurance pays for it.

For right now though, I don't want people asking me how much I lost, making me get up and turn around so they can see me, or scrutinizing everything I eat and that's what they will do!

I told my Manager and my direct report, other than that everbody else was just notified that I was signed off sick at the time. After loosing the weight I have told some other people as well, the ones who have been genuinly happy for me and asking questions about how I've been doing it. I have no problems talking about my solution, as I know for a fact I would never have done this without the surgery. Good luck and best wishes!

I told my manager, I work from home and one day we were in the office and I was discussing it with a few of my other work from home buddies and she came in to the conversation - her husband had bypass about 10 years ago and she has been incredibly supportive. Just a few of my fellow workers know, the ones I am close to. I took FMLA as I only had about 4.5 days of time off to use. I am planning to take 3.5 weeks off to get settled in to my new way of eating and all that. You really don't have to tell them anything but I would say it should depend on your relationship, you certainly can tell them and may be surprised by their support!!

I told my boss I needed to take time off for a medical procedure. He doesn't like knowing personal information anyway, so that was plenty for him. I was only going to tel a few co-workers, but I've ended up telling most that I talk to regularly and everyone has been super supportive (I guess I have awesome co-workers :) ). Maybe because I'm so excited about it and that comes through when I tell people. I'm still pre-op though, but I've already started my liquid diet.< /p>

I told anyone who asked. I had complications and was unable to work for 3 months but I told my supervisors, my colleagues and friends. When I did this I found that MANY, many people have had the surgery too and were willing to share their experiences with me.

I only took four days off from work -- Tuesday through Friday. Before I went out, I simply told people that I was having minor elective surgery -- "nothing serious, just something that needs to be taken care of." No one asked me at the time about the exact nature of the surgery. Since I've lost 120 pounds, I tell most people who ask that I've been working with a doctor and a nurtitionist. At the time of the surgery, I didn't think it was anyone's business (and I was also afraid that I would not be successful), but I am telling more people the full story now because I have found that by keeping it a secret, I was starting to feel that it was something to be ashamed about.

I have simply told everyone the truth, and I have been very open about it. My teammates know, my boss, my director. Heck I have even told the outside consultants that I am currently working with. All of my friends and neighbors know, as do most of my family. The only reason some of my family doesn't know is because we just arent close enought to even talk on a regular basis.

Everyone has been incredibly supportive, and it is nice to have that kind of crowd cheering you on.

-Pete

I teach college English, so I didn't have to miss any work. I had my surgery last Tuesday, and classes don't start until Aug. 29. I am a bit concerned about what my students will think about my weight-loss during the semester, but they are mostly freshmen so might not notice. :)

I have been working on a committee this summer, and I did tell my co-workers. I felt I had to since we had been working together from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with working lunches, and my lunch menu changed so drastically.