Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, so here's what's going on:

I can't take my chewables. Neither the Multivitamin nor the Calcium citrate. They are so so so chalky and disgusting and they make me sick, literally - I become nauseated and I start retching.

I'm not supposed to take 'big' pills until 2 months out. I'm only 1 month out right now.

I am ahead of the curve on eating ie I don't have discomfort with dense solid Proteins unless I eat too fast or take bites that are too big. My sleeve is not as restrictive as most - I can get in more than 'normal', say maybe 1/2 cup to 1 cup depending on whether it is soft food or not. I DON'T eat to capacity unless I make a mistake and miss my 'full' signal.

I want to start taking pill-form Multivitamins and Calcium, because right now I am not taking either due to them making me nauseous.

Which is worse - taking pills early, or taking no supplements?

did u try the anti nausea med before taking Vitamins? that the only way I can stand both chew-able and pills.< /p>

This is another one of those areas where advice from surgeons differs. I could take pills right after surgery. My multi was too big to swallow so I cut it in half and it went down fine. Not telling you what to do but I've been taking pills since day 4 post-op with no problems.

I don't think the nausea has anything to do with the fact that I've been sleeved - it's because the chewables are disgusting and I just can't get them down.

I am really thinking about going to pills. I know some people are allowed pills earlier than I am. I'm already taking some pills every day and can take them all at once with a sip or two of Water and they go down just fine.

I just found this which may be of interest, and no I'm not affiliated to Vitalady in any way. She posts as herself on obesity help.

"After bariatric surgery, many people are advised by their surgeon to refrain from swallowing pills for the first few weeks or months. Others simply have difficulty swallowing them. Yet it is absolutely critical that we get the essential Vitamins and minerals recommended after our surgeries. So how do we reconcile this dilemma?

Vitalady offers a wide variety of Vitamins and minerals that provide a solution to this problem. Calcium, Iron, zinc, Vitamin C and multi-vitamins come in chewable forms. sublingual products include vitamins A, D, B complex, B-1, B-12, Folic Acid and K-1. These products dissolve rapidly under the tongue and are absorbed directly into the blood stream.

For those who do not like the chewable or dissolvable forms and for the few products that do not come in the above forms, any capsule can be opened and mixed with drink or soft food. Most are tasteless. Tablets can be crushed and also mixed with drinks or soft foods. Another options is to cut tablets in half or thirds to make them more easy to swallow. An inexpensive tablet splitter/crusher is available from Vitalady for your convenience."

http://vitalady.com/news-3/

Viactive is not calcium citrate. It's Calcium carbonate. My NUT and doc say only to take the Citrate. Our bodies don't absorb the carbonate.

Bryn, I'm just like you. I did find a liquid Calcium I can take. It's made by Bluebonnett and I get mine at Whole Foods. It's a berry flavor. It was only $9.99 for a large bottle. I have not problem, throwing up with it. The chewables are nasty.

Still having a problem finding a Vitamin. For now taking the gummies, still make me nausea a tiny bit....only for min. or so....but not vomiting. My Nut said to try that, its better than nothing.

I'm going to look for a Vitamin I can swallow too. But I think its the vitmans itself that make me sick...they are so strong.

Good Luck.

Hi,

I've seen a couple of liquid Multivitamins as well as liquid Calcium citate. I think the dosage is only one drop, but you can check that out if you decide to go the liquid Vitamins route. I'm by no means a doctor and haven't even had my surgery yet. In fact, my file was just sent to pre-cert yesterday. I just don't want you to feel run down or worn out from not taking your Vitamins, not to mention the nutrients they supply, so if at all possible I think you should take some form of a vitamin(s).

Bryn, I hope you can find something that works for you.

All the best!

Niki

Hi Bryn, I was in the same boat as you. I HATE Bariatric Advantage MVs and Calcium chewables. So then I bought tablets/pills and told my NUT and she discouraged them, saying we don't have enough stomach acid to digest and absorb them well. Since I didn't want to waste my time and money (again) I then ordered samples from Celebrate. Their chewable vitamins aren't too bad at all, and neither is their Iron and sublingual B12, they dissolve real fast and are not gritty. So I went ahead and ordered 90 day supplies from them. And I agree with Cindy-Lynn, Calcet Lemon chewies are absolutely delicious, I have them with my morning coffee as a treat! Keep in mind, as time goes on I think you will be able to tolerate the supplements better and better. Don't take them on an empty sleeve, that helped me. Good Luck, I know your frustration!!

Hi Bryn,

I was able to take pills the same day as my surgery. I could NOT take Vitamins becuase they were TOO BIG!! until week 4 when I could eat soft foods. I say if you can eat soft food, then you can take Vitamins in pill form.

I had to go to pills because the chewables made me sick too!! I take Centrum because it is complete and even has Iron in it. I also like the BA chewy lemon, chocolate and carmel calcium citrate. They are YUMMY!! If you haven't tried them, get some. I also have the Citracal + D and take that too. I alternate chews and pills. I reallly like the chews, but have to have 5 daily, so I have a few and a pill.

Calcet also has Lemon bites that are yummy as well. they kinda taste like lemon cake. The BA lemon ones are like a Starburst kinda and the caramel are like a Werther's. The chocolate is just like a choclote chew. Super, super good.

Kelly :)

Hi Bryn,

I was able to take pills the same day as my surgery. I could NOT take Vitamins becuase they were TOO BIG!! until week 4 when I could eat soft foods. I say if you can eat soft food, then you can take Vitamins in pill form.

I had to go to pills because the chewables made me sick too!! I take Centrum because it is complete and even has Iron in it. I also like the BA chewy lemon, chocolate and carmel calcium citrate. They are YUMMY!! If you haven't tried them, get some. I also have the Citracal + D and take that too. I alternate chews and pills. I reallly like the chews, but have to have 5 daily, so I have a few and a pill.

Calcet also has Lemon bites that are yummy as well. they kinda taste like lemon cake. The BA lemon ones are like a Starburst kinda and the caramel are like a Werther's. The chocolate is just like a choclote chew. Super, super good.

Kelly :)

My doc prescribed pills in the hospital then I got an infection and he prescribed bactrim DS. Its HUGE. As bit as my index finger tip. Breaking it in half still made me cringe but they went down. The only funny part...the pharmacist said to take them with a little food..like crackers...lol on day one of the pills, I started day one of pureed foods...NO crackers.

I thinks all docs are different and its your choice but I'm surviving just fine.

I have a Protein shake every morning. I use the Bariatric Advantage chocolate flavored Calcium and french vanilla multi Vitamin. I grind the calcium and Vitamin in my coffee grinder and mix it into my shake. I also use liquid zinc and Vitamin D and they go into the shake as well. I can't taste any of the supplements.

I'm 3 months out and can take pillsbut this is still my method of choice.