Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling frustrated and depressed

I had my surgery one month ago (7/11/2011). It went well and my recovery has been great, but my weight loss is nowhere near where I hoped it would be. I started at 278 and lost 9 pounds with the pre-op diet. In the past 4 weeks, I have lost 10 more pounds total and that was mostly in the first 2 weeks. These past two weeks, I have gained and lost the same 2 pounds ... and that just seems wrong. I am feeling like I spent all this money and changed my anatomy and it just isn't working! I have read about stalls, but most folks seem to lose so much early on and I am just not losing anything. The really strange part is that the math doesn't work ... I have been tracking my calories in and haven't had more than 1000-1200 on any given day, which should put me at a greater loss by now. I drink my Water. I get my Protein in. I have eliminated sweets and bread and Pasta. Is there something wrong with me? What should I do differently?

I am so there with you!!! I had my surgery on 7/11/11 as well and I lost 16 lbs the first two weeks and have not lost anymore since then. I hope you get some good feedback because I need it as well!

Unfortunately it happens to alot of us........I have had 2 stalls since my surgery 6 weeks ago and havent lost any in almost 8 days....I no longer compare myself to others weight loss or beat myself up for doing the RIGHT thing....I now look at it like this.....I am eating better then I ever have, I feel better then I ever have...I can no longer eat an entire pizza and half a chicken breast fills me beyond belief and I am gratefull for that. I know that in a year or so I will be so much closer or close or at a decent weight and for now I will just be patient. I drink Water and move around more then I ever have and will wake up every day thank full that I put my body through the surgery. Dont let it consume you , your body went through trama and when it heals and figures out what its suppose to do next it will stabalize and all will be good again :rolleyes:

I had my surgery one month ago (7/11/2011). It went well and my recovery has been great, but my weight loss is nowhere near where I hoped it would be. I started at 278 and lost 9 pounds with the pre-op diet. In the past 4 weeks, I have lost 10 more pounds total and that was mostly in the first 2 weeks. These past two weeks, I have gained and lost the same 2 pounds ... and that just seems wrong. I am feeling like I spent all this money and changed my anatomy and it just isn't working! I have read about stalls, but most folks seem to lose so much early on and I am just not losing anything. The really strange part is that the math doesn't work ... I have been tracking my calories in and haven't had more than 1000-1200 on any given day, which should put me at a greater loss by now. I drink my Water. I get my Protein in. I have eliminated sweets and bread and Pasta. Is there something wrong with me? What should I do differently?

Queenmab - our stats are very similar - I had surgery the day after you. At this point, I have lost 15 pounds and have been at this same weight now for a week. Actually, in the first 3 weeks I lost 19 pounds - but last week gained 4 pounds and have been stuck at that now for a week.

I know it's discouraging. But, we have to keep with it. At this point, our bodies are still trying to figure out just what the heck we did to it - so it will take a "breather" and try to figure it out. That's why we're stuck at the weight we are right now. But, it will break eventually and then we'll start losing again.

We are learning new habits that will lead to a healthier body over the long term - that has to count for something. :)

Well all docs are different. I am 2 weeks post-op. My doc says no more that 800 calories a day. Everything low fat (under 3 or 4 grams per serving) Low carb (under 50 per day). With the list of foods I can have now, I rarely make that 800 calories because if I do then I go over carbs. And with the list of foods most days I have less than 6-7 grams of fat a day. Yes I do get hungry. I think I am one of the few that do feel hunger after surgery. Talk to your nut or doc and see if you need to do something to shock your body out of a stall. I am jealous... 1,200 calories sounds like a king's feast to me LOL.

Khy

I feel your pain. I was sleeved 7/12. I lost 18 lbs the first 2 weeks and nothing these last 2 weeks. It's frustrating and makes you wonder if you'll be the 'one' that it just doesn't work for. I'm trying to be patient, but that's not my best personality trait so it's not working out for me so well. :( I guess we just have to keep hanging in there!

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! I am feeling better and more positive now and will keep following my program and hope that my weight will come off. It is a long journey and I know I cannot expect miracles. Plus, I am hypothyroid and I know that will make weight loss even harder :( even with this new tool.