Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when the scale isn't moving...

I am 7 weeks out and despite following my surgeon/nut’s guidelines almost perfectly, have spent much of the time stalled. I lost the majority of my weight by day 9 post-op, then nothing for a month. Lost a few more, then nothing for 2 weeks, etc. I didn’t get too discouraged though…yeah, it was frustrating during those weeks when the scale wasn’t moving, but my clothes were getting looser.

So today I got solid proof that although the scale isn’t moving much – I am making progress! I measured 5 areas and have lost a total of 12 inches!!!!!

Inches lost:

Neck 1”

Waist 4”

Hips 4”

Ankle 1”

Bicep 2”

It’s hard, but I’m learning to not get hung up on what the scale reads, as that is only one method of measurement. Yes I want the scale to reflect my progress too, but there are other measurements of success that are just as important – clothes fitting better, the overall feeling of improved health, for me today it was inches. Hail the NSVs!

Cheers and wishing everyone the best on their journey!!

Hey Beth, way to go on your losses! scale, schmale. It's 100% true for me, too, that when the scale isn't moving, the shape of my body is changing. I don't know how or why it happens, but I'm glad it does! Yay for you for measuring--I didn't measure before surgery, but I can tell when the fit of my clothes begins to change, and now I know to look for that to happen during periods of slower pound loss.

I totally agree with you. I have been on a 7 day stall so far. But I do my measurements every Monday. And I've lost 1 1/4 inches since last Monday even though the scale did not move down. In fact I gained a 1 lb.

WTG on your losing. The scale will drop soon. But damn, why do you get so hung up on it? LOL

I think we get so hung up on the numbers of the scale because it is what is justifiable to us!

When it is down a lb or two it means that we did something right, but when it isn't we think we did everything wrong!

We don't understand that there ARE other ways to measure our success and that tape measure is the key!!

Kelly :)

I just broke a 2 week plateau by losing 2 pounds in one day. During those 2 weeks, I went down a size even though the scale didn't budge. It's about distribution just as much as loss, I think. Good suggestion on remembering the tape measure is just as important as the scale!

Amen, me too!! This is such a learning process, I am amazed at how the sleeve works its magic even when we don't realize it.

:)

thank u for this post!!! i am 5 weeks out and the scale hasnt moved since about day 12 and i felt like i was failing, i did the measurements and i am down 5 and 3/4 around my (giant) waist lol this really helped and i was feeling like a major fail! thank u for the encouragement!!!