Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deciding on a Goal Weight?

I'm sure you will all understand the emotional hold a "goal weight" can have over you. I've lost and made it to goal and then gained the weight back more times than I want to admit. I have three goal weights... I'm 5' 6.5" tall and according to the charts, I should weigh somewhere between 120 and 160. I'd say I am average boned. I have three goals but I want to get some feedback on how others decide on their goal weight. Part of me knows it is only a number on a scale and there are so many other goals I have in mind. I can't wait to feel strong and fit again. I can't wait to wear the clothes that show my body and aren't all black. I look forward to all the NSG benefits of losing the added weight. But, still, I'm drawn to set a goal for myself weight wise as well...

When I used to weigh 150 lbs. my body seemed to maintain that weight without my being too terribly hungry all the time. But I was always wishing I was a bit thinner here and there. I call this goal weight #1 because once I reach it, I will see how I look and feel. My second goal weight is 140 lbs. When I was this weight, I felt like I could wear whatever I wanted and wasn't self conscious. I felt strong, but it was a bit of a struggle to maintain this weight. I call this goal #2 because if I'm not happy at 150 I'll shoot for this. My third goal is 130 lbs. When I weighed 130 I felt that I looked the best as far as how the clothes fell on my frame. I could wear what I wanted, and felt "thin". BUT, it was very hard for me to maintain this weight. I guess in my dream world 130 would be my true goal, if I felt I could maintain it without struggling all the time.

So... how have you all set your "goal"?

I set mine so that I wouldn't be considered "obese" anymore. Don't know if I will reach it. If I do, don't know if I'll like it. We'll just have to see.

Frankly, I don't remember ever weighing that little. In high school, I was around 180 and had lost about 20 pounds when I started working, but over the years I gained it back plus a bunch. Before high school, I never weighed myself.

I'm 3/4" shorter than you. I've set my goal at 135 based upon sizes I could wear during previous "diets" when I lost weight (though couldn't keep it off!). I have closets full of old classic clothes in various sizes that I want to wear again. When I've been in the 150's I was a size 12 and I'm pretty sure that at 135 I'll be an 8 -- which is how I arrived at 135.. I don't think you'll be feeling as hungry at your lower goal now as compared to the past before being sleeved. Before you had a big stomach waiting/demanding to be filled, while now you'll get alot fuller on a lot less food. Hope this helps!

I'm 5'4". I would like to be 135 pounds, dressed, on the doctor's scales. This will give me a "normal" range BMI and probably be in the 8-10 size range in clothes. If I can't maintain that without living at the gym, I might raise it a little. I think I will know my goal once I get to it. Also, I want to build some muscle, so I am not going to be as hung up on a number as my clothes size and measurements.

I don't have a goal weight. Never really have. My goal was at first to fit into some Size 8 pants I had. Well I hadn't even reached Onederland yet so I knew I couldn't stop there. So I bought some Size 4 pants, same make/model. I just fitted into these a week or so ago now. I was 184 Lbs then. So, that said my weight goal was 184 Lbs, I just didn't know until I got there.

;)

Will I keep losing? Probably. I mean, I'm just going to continue with my healthy lifestyle. Working out 5x per week, eating Protein first, no drinking while eating... All that is for life!!! I'm not depriving myself anymore though. I mean if I want a taco for dinner, guess what I'm having?

Good luck to all!! It's a crazy crazy world, this sleeve thing...

Sarah - are you sure you aren't my twin??? :P We have almost the same exact goals and stats. My 1st goal was 155 (no longer in overweight category) ... 2nd goal was 145 (since it was 10 pounds lighter) ... 3rd goal was 135 (what I weighed for about 1 week in high school) ...

I am happy to say that a new goal came after that ... I bounce between 125 and 128 now & I LOVE IT!!!! I can't allow myself to slip with a lot of "treats" or I creep to the high side (or even higher during TOM), but I feel like I can successfully maintain this for the rest of my life without "dieting" ever again.

Good luck on your journey!

Another twin here, though I am more in the medium frame category, unlike the wee MINI-Me. I am 5'6.5" (though I always claim 5'7" lol) and am sort of semi-aiming for 140-ish because I've felt good at that weight in the past. However, my body really seems to have changed somehow, as I can already fit into 10s and 12s at my current weight, so I'm thinking 140-something might be too thin now that I'm older? Not sure. I fit into 10s and 12s, when I was younger, in the 150-160 range, though it's quite possible the sizes have just gotten bigger?

I have no idea what weight puts me into 'normal' BMI because I think BMI as any kind of reliable metric is crap. I've always ignored that one except for when I had to make sure I made the BMI cut for insurance ;-) . And honestly, everything is measured in kg here anyhow, so anything pound-related is an afterthought (eg, took me a bit to realise when I'd hit onederland in lbs).

If I'm honest, I'm not at all goal-oriented, so I don't really think I'll be that bothered if I don't get to the 140s, I guess I'll wait and see how things go. I suck at planning, frankly. :D

I find that clothing sizes are less dependent on the number on the scale and more about how toned you are. When i was 180lbs I wore a size 16 and never ever worked out. When I was 200lbs and going to the gym every day I was in a size 14. Plus over the years vanity sizing changes, which plays a role. Instead of picking an arbitrary scale number I think I'm going to consider myself "at goal" when feel comfortable with how I look, although I'm still pre-op and have never felt that way before in my life, so we'll see!

I am 5'4" and I used to be taller! I dont know how I lost 3/4 of an inch but it happened! I was in the military in my late teens and I remember being 127 lbs going in. I was a perfect size 6 then and in Jr. size it was some 5's or 7's depending on how they were made. I loved my figure then and I didnt have to struggle to keep it. That was college and military. Then my son was born and those days were gone. I am taking them back as of Monday August 8!!!!! I set my first goal for 145 which would make my BMI in normal range. 135 is my middle goal. I want to see how that feels and if I can maintain that. Ultimately, I want to maintain 125 to 130. The chart says I can be as low as 108 but I have never been that small and frankly with my frame (Medium to large) I cant carry that off. You can count my ribs and my pelvic bones stick way out when I am 125. I look like a wasp or dirt dobber as we say in the south. I dont think I will be comfortable that thin. So my goals are similar, even though I am shorter. I think the sizes have changed in the past 10 years or so. At a previous weight loss, I maintained 170 for years and was a perfect size 12. I gained again and then lost back to 170 but was then a 14 and couldnt squeeze in a 12. I dont know what the difference was. I gained all the weight back plus 50 pounds. I am in a 20 in most things as long as the jeans are stretch material. They get loose as the day goes on but out of the dryer, it has to be a 20 or it wont fit. I have no idea what the numbers are going to mean as far as size now adays though. I am so excited to be having surgery MONDAY!!!

I don't have a weight goal set. I have a size goal, and that is to fit into a medium. Whatever weight I am at that time will be fine. Before we flew home from Tijuana I bought a size medium t-shirt at the airport. It's hanging up front and center in the closet so I see it every time I go in there. I can't remember ever weighing less than 160 (I was in the 5th grade at the time), so I can't even refer back to an "old" me. I don't have a clue what I'll look like, so I figured a size would be better than a number.

If I were to use weights I would start at 150, since that is the top weight in the "normal" section of the BMI chart. If I can loose more and look healthy and not sickly, than I'll try to keep going until I reach 120, which is the bottom weight in the "normal" section. But, I truly think I'll be hanging out around the higher weight, I'm to big boned to ever get really skinny. At least my mom thinks I am. (She says at birth I weighed 8#, but felt like a boulder when they laid me on her tummy!!)

My doctor has a fancy scale that measured by bone weight, Water weight, fat percentage etc. They put my height in there and the scale/computer attached to it calculated 140. I am 5'1". While I would be thrilled to even loose to there - I was thinking maybe more 130 ish. Will be interested to see where I end up! Good question!!!

I'm 6'2", so most of the height-weight charts for women stop before they get to me. :rolleyes: I wasn't fat my entire life; I was a sort of athletic, curvy teenager and college student. I remember when I first broke 200--grad school... I was wearing, I think, size 16's then. I also have a series of goals, but they're rather loose and flexible. Honestly, at this point, if I didn't lose another pound, I'd still be so much better off than before that it is already worth it--the surgery has paid off in longer, healthier life. Since I'm only at 3-1/2 months out, I know I have more time and will lose more, and I'm really excited about it.

Goal 1: Weigh less than my husband, who bounces between 220-225. I have never weighed less than him, and he is a big guy.

Goal 2: Break into Onederland. At 194, my BMI goes into the "normal" range--I know you're jealous now, but I'm 6'2"!!!

Goal 3: 190. At this point, I should be wearing size 14/16, I hope!

Goal 4: Wherever below this that my body feels comfortable without horrible maintenance required. I confess I don't really like exercise, although I do it when I need to. When I hit 190, I'll see if I like how I look and feel and go from there.

Mostly, seriously, I just want to be healthy and comfortable. That could be at any point in a very wide range of sizes/weights. I don't think I'm a vain person, and if I'm healthy at a slightly higher weight than the "perfect" spot and my body just doesn't want to go past that, I probably won't push it. Seems like, though, my sleeve is small and picky, so I'm still really limited in the amount and type of food I can tolerate, so I may have no problem at all hitting goal. We'll just have to wait and see.

I say go for 130 that is where you said you felt the best but it was hard for you to keep the weight off.... But now u have the sleeve to help u maintain that goal vs before...

I'm sure you will all understand the emotional hold a "goal weight" can have over you. I've lost and made it to goal and then gained the weight back more times than I want to admit. I have three goal weights... I'm 5' 6.5" tall and according to the charts, I should weigh somewhere between 120 and 160. I'd say I am average boned. I have three goals but I want to get some feedback on how others decide on their goal weight. Part of me knows it is only a number on a scale and there are so many other goals I have in mind. I can't wait to feel strong and fit again. I can't wait to wear the clothes that show my body and aren't all black. I look forward to all the NSG benefits of losing the added weight. But, still, I'm drawn to set a goal for myself weight wise as well...

When I used to weigh 150 lbs. my body seemed to maintain that weight without my being too terribly hungry all the time. But I was always wishing I was a bit thinner here and there. I call this goal weight #1 because once I reach it, I will see how I look and feel. My second goal weight is 140 lbs. When I was this weight, I felt like I could wear whatever I wanted and wasn't self conscious. I felt strong, but it was a bit of a struggle to maintain this weight. I call this goal #2 because if I'm not happy at 150 I'll shoot for this. My third goal is 130 lbs. When I weighed 130 I felt that I looked the best as far as how the clothes fell on my frame. I could wear what I wanted, and felt "thin". BUT, it was very hard for me to maintain this weight. I guess in my dream world 130 would be my true goal, if I felt I could maintain it without struggling all the time.

So... how have you all set your "goal"?

I've set my goal weight the same way that you have. My current tentative goal is 150 because I think it would be easily maintained and it's about what the doctors suggested for me. My next goal is 140-145 because the last time that I felt good about my body I weighed only about that and I would still be in a healthy BMI range. My ultimate potential goal is 135 since that's the weight that I was when I last felt like my body was amazing. I was a lot younger at the time though, and I was working out twice a day. I don't think I would be able to maintain that weight, and at 5'8.5" I think I would actually look a little too thin at that weight. We'll see how I feel when I get to 150.

I had my goal weight at 130, but today I changed it to 135. That will put me at 21.8 BMI and I figure that I can bounce between 135 and 140.

I too have shrunk over the years. I was 5'6 and 3/4", but now at 54 years old I am 5'6" even. As a teen and in my 20s, I weighed 120. I felt great at that weight. During my 30s, weight went up to 185, then I dropped back to 145. At 145, I still felt a little large. After that, I piled it on to 200, then 220, then a couple of stints in the low 250s. Once when I started prozac and once to qualify for the operation.