Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did any of you ever wonder...

if it would really work for you? I just have this feeling in my 'gut' that I won't actually be able to lose this weight. I'm in my 3rd week and have stalled (which I know is very common), but I just can't help but be filled with doubts. I've dieted and lost soooo many pounds in my life that I'm not sure I can believe in the possibility any more. I know this may sound silly, but it's really gnawing at me. Did any of you have serious doubts only to be proven wrong?

Thanks for humoring me :)

I did wonder that, especially when I hit a stall last week. WHen it ended, and the pounds just fell off, I was amazed. Now, I just really don't think about food. It doesn't seem to rule my brain. I think that is what helps this tool work!

And this shall pass................................ Unless you are eating Milk shakes and candy all day you can NOT not succeed!

Just keep in mind that your body has gone through a lot and is in shock, surgery, weight loss. Your body is fighting to hold on to it's norm. Most folks loose a few, stay for a while, lose a couple, stay for a while, maybe in gain a pound here and there(water) and go back down. It is steps, not a cliff dive when it comes to losing.

MTC2001 you read my mind!! I am about 9 weeks postop. I lost about 30 lbs, stalled for 3 weeks and now I'm at 41 lbs lost. This is about how much I have lost on all my other diets in the past. I was often able to lose 35-40lbs. I have always gained it back and then some. And that is what I'm waiting for now.

I know Myrori you must be right, but a lifetime of thinking a certain way is hard to change. That is what I've found with this journey--it's just as much a mind trip as a physical transformation. Time is not going fast enough for me, I want to prove myself wrong and get to a 50, 60, 80, 100 pound weight loss and experience not being a fat person for once in my adult life!!! I can't wait, I'm like a little kid counting the days til Christmas!!

I am currently in the 3rd week of my stall and I really appreciate this thread...makes me feel better that others feel like I do. I have said my self "I just don't think this is going to work." I know it has to but...

Here's hoping the stall breaks soon!!!!

:)

MTC2001 you read my mind!! I am about 9 weeks postop. I lost about 30 lbs, stalled for 3 weeks and now I'm at 41 lbs lost. This is about how much I have lost on all my other diets in the past. I was often able to lose 35-40lbs. I have always gained it back and then some. And that is what I'm waiting for now.

I know Myrori you must be right, but a lifetime of thinking a certain way is hard to change. That is what I've found with this journey--it's just as much a mind trip as a physical transformation. Time is not going fast enough for me, I want to prove myself wrong and get to a 50, 60, 80, 100 pound weight loss and experience not being a fat person for once in my adult life!!! I can't wait, I'm like a little kid counting the days til Christmas!!

I know what you mean - I feel this way too. MTC2001, you were sleeved on the same day I was. I lost 17 lbs in the first 2 weeks but then gained 5 back and have been stuck there ever since. I also don't feel a whole lot of restriction and I am on soft foods now so it makes me wonder if I went through all of this for nothing.

I keep on with my mantra - This Too Shall Pass... but sometimes it is hard to believe what 33 years have taught me not to. The little 'you'll always be fat' voice is hard not to listen to.

Oh I wish I could give every one of you a big hug.... I felt the EXACT same way!! My husband was sleeved a year ahead of me, and he kept saying, "There's no way for it NOT to work--look how little you're eating," etc. etc. but I just knew I was going to be the one person in however many hundreds that the sleeve didn't work for. Stalls! I HATE THEM! And I'm so sorry y'all are stressing about this!

Seriously, it's going to work. Your body is just in the process of adjusting. It's freaked out! It's having to decide how to live with the new program, and it's not burning a lot of energy yet until it figures it out. Just stick with your doctor's program. Walk a little. Take time to rest. Be grateful for your life. I promise it's going to get better. You'll feel better. It just takes time! Y'all are like me--we are some kind of impatient people!! Bodies don't just zip around and change as quickly as all that (at least mine didn't!). But it has over time. I'm wearing size 18--18!!!--pants right now, and 3-1/2 months ago I wore a tight 26/28. (I know, some folks START at a size 18, but not me... I'm 6'2" and have been huge for decades, so the 18 is a victory!) So yeah, it takes time, but it works. My loss is slowing down considerably, but it's still going---time is your friend, not your enemy. A few months from now you won't even remember this....

HUGS and best wishes to all!!

Wow! I can't believe this thread! I have, and do sometimes still, wonder if this will really work for me! And yes, especially during those stalls. One of the reasons I think I almost compulsively come to these boards - in addition to being an incredible source of information, they are a reassurance to me that others have gone through similar things and that I am not alone in this. Bryn you are rigth that sometimes after many years it's hard to change those beliefs. And like you said Adri, I want to be wrong this time, really, reallyl badly! :) I'm busy collecting new evidence LOL. That's why I just LOVE reading about people's successes, no matter how small. They remind me that it will be okay!!!! I am not alone in this experience. I am not a weirdo! :-) (Okay, maybe I'm a weirdo, but not my fat issue) Thanks guys for your thoughts and comments!

We all have our moments of self-doubt, especially during the stalls!!! I guess it's natural to have doubts when I've failed so many times in the past and I've struggled with being overweight and diets my whole life. But most of the time I have confidence and faith that it will happen this time.

:)

When my wait lost hits the "'pause button" - I try to not weigh myself for a few days. Instead, I use my measuring tape to check my progress. Or, I will try on clothes that maybe were a little tight - to see if they are looser. It seems my body can either lose pounds or inches, but not both at once. Also, when I am on pause, I am extra diligent about keeping my food diary. I record every morsel that goes into my mouth - the calories, and grams of Protein carb and fat. It is my way of ensuring I am not eating more of something than I target myself to for a day. And, I get out the food scale and the measuring cup -recalibrate my eyeball as to just what 3 ounces of chicken looks like, or 1/2 cup of something.

This program will work for you if you use the sleeve like you are supposed to. Drink your fluids. Eat a meaured amount of Protein, spread throughout the day. Do not drink when you eat or right after you eat. Watch your amount of carbs you take in - I only eat veggies and some fruit - I stay away from the complex carbs (rice/pasta/bread). Eat protein first, then veggies. I totally avoid junk calories and sugar.

Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for the super encouragement! I hate that others know exactly what I'm feeling, but I'm so glad to know I'm not alone! Intellectually I know this too shall pass...it has to work! But I'm just so anxious to see some real progress. I've failed so many times that I have a real problem trusting that it will indeed happen this time. Hopefully I will look back at this thread in a couple of months and laugh :)

I had huge dobuts pre-op and my dr. assured me that I would be successful because I had been so successful in the past at losing (just couldn't keep off).

I thought, "Am I going to fail at this too???" But like other's have stated, it can not, not work if you are feeding your sleeve Protein, veggies, then fruit if you have room!! I totally follow my dr.'s plan and I am here to tell you IT DOES WORK!!

It is crazy how you might not see the lbs on the scale, but your pants will fall off of you that did fit last week! I am amazed at how many inches have come off of me in 3 months!! Granted, I have lost 40lbs since my surgery, but my inches lost are much more visable!!

So, don't always go by what that scale says to measure yourself. Make sure to take measurements so you know where you started!! I didn't and wish now that I had! :angry: You WILL be amazed at how fast your waist shrinks!!

Good luck to you!!

KElly ;)

Oh yes, I've wondered. I have all these other health problems… maybe they've wrecked my body to the point where it WON'T work for me. I am often too sick & tired to do much more exercise than move from the bed to the sofa, too. And I have to eat starches sometimes when my tummy gets really upset because that's the only thing that helps (other than this freaky cholesterol powder that you have to drink 6x a day which makes my other meds not work, ha).

So yes, the "it won't work for ME…" is the fear that keeps me up at night, too.

I actually just ended a 6 week -- yes SIX WEEK!! -- stall. I lost for 2.5 weeks after surgery and then MEGASTALL.

Well it broke a few days ago. And I lost 10lbs in a week.

No matter how bad the stall feels, it will end. It's got to end. Whenever I moped to my husband, "What if it stays like this forever?" he basically told me, "That would be breaking the laws of physics." And he's right :)

You just have to keep following your guidelines, eat enough but not too much, drink enough (lots!) and exercise if you can.

I was sure I would be the one to fail and be the "stat" that messed up all the VSG stats. I always failed in the past - what was going to be different this time? Every stall I was sure I was done.

I now weigh what I weighedin Middle School and I have maintained since Thanksgiving. I made it through Christmas, New Years, and 5 birthdays in my home. I love this tool!

Thank you all so much for being here. I'm feeling better about this now.