Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I didn't have a pre-op diet. My BMI was 31. I heard the main reason why they do the pre-op diet is to shrink the fatty liver before surgery. I'm sure the higher your BMI is the more they worry about the liver.

J, You may not want to answer but how much weight are you going to lose?

I'm feeling great. I'm 15 days out and doing wonderful. I still get nervous about getting a leak but other than that everything is going well.

I'm feeling great. I'm 15 days out and doing wonderful. I still get nervous about getting a leak but other than that everything is going well.

I had the same fear. When I met with Dr Nicholson last week I told him I had 3 fears. 1) catching on fire on the table after seeing the GMA report 2) blod clots, and 3) a leak. He told me the ONLY thing (other than an incorrect surgical procedure) that can cause a leak is eating the wrong foods too soon. He said if patients follow the standard for recovery and eat just what they are supposed to there is no fear of a leak. He, of course, looked at me like I was a crazy person when he heard about the fire issue. The resident who is training with him started laughing and my husband, God love him, just shook his head. Whatever. I got my fears out on the table and got practical answers. Now I really have so much less apprehension.

Are you moving around normally now?

How's everyone from this thread doing now? I had surgery august 29, starting weight 174. After a 3 day pre-op liquid diet, and 1 week after surgery, I was down 13 lbs. Now it has taken me 7 weeks to lose another 13 lbs. 18 lbs to go until goal of 130. It's going very slowly, but I'll get there. I guess this is how it goes with a lower bmi. I would be really interested to hear other low bmi's early weight loss to compare. It does us no good to compare with higher bmi's weight loss, it only discourages you!

How's everyone from this thread doing now? I had surgery august 29, starting weight 174. After a 3 day pre-op liquid diet, and 1 week after surgery, I was down 13 lbs. Now it has taken me 7 weeks to lose another 13 lbs. 18 lbs to go until goal of 130. It's going very slowly, but I'll get there. I guess this is how it goes with a lower bmi. I would be really interested to hear other low bmi's early weight loss to compare. It does us no good to compare with higher bmi's weight loss, it only discourages you!

I had a lower BMI and am also moving very slowly. I had surgery 6 weeks ago and have only lost 22lbs which fell off pretty quickly. For the past 3 weeks I seem to be in a stall. I'm also not obsessing about it because I can't imagine that with the small amount of food I'm eating I wouldn't lose weight. However, I need to increase my exercise and eat more regularly which would probably speed things up. My goal is to lose another 28lbs.

Hello I had my surgery Aug 9th. My Bmi was 31 I weighed 189. I weigh 149 now, I have stayed this weight for a while so I'm guessing I'm really gonna need to step up to lose the next 20. I'm worried I have loss some muscle because Im having a hard time getting all my Protein on. The Protein Shakes makes me sick. But I have been eating lots of cheese, chicken and beef. Im kinda getting nervous for my 3 month follow up blood work, I hope I'm not really low in anything. Y'all are doing great, keep up the good work.

Hello I had my surgery Aug 9th. My Bmi was 31 I weighed 189. I weigh 149 now, I have stayed this weight for a while so I'm guessing I'm really gonna need to step up to lose the next 20. I'm worried I have loss some muscle because Im having a hard time getting all my Protein on. The Protein shakes makes me sick. But I have been eating lots of cheese, chicken and beef. Im kinda getting nervous for my 3 month follow up blood work, I hope I'm not really low in anything. Y'all are doing great, keep up the good work.

Hi--

Your starting weight is very similar to mine. Do you mind if I ask how tall are you?

Hello I had my surgery Aug 9th. My Bmi was 31 I weighed 189. I weigh 149 now, I have stayed this weight for a while so I'm guessing I'm really gonna need to step up to lose the next 20. I'm worried I have loss some muscle because Im having a hard time getting all my Protein on. The Protein shakes makes me sick. But I have been eating lots of cheese, chicken and beef. Im kinda getting nervous for my 3 month follow up blood work, I hope I'm not really low in anything. Y'all are doing great, keep up the good work.

It sounds like you're doing quite well. I couldn't do the Protein Shakes, either, but my saving grace was Chobani brand Greek yogurt. Each small container provides 14g of protein. It takes me about 20-30 minutes to eat one but I try to get in 4 per day. I focus on other types of protein (cheese, salmon, tuna, beef) for other meals. I'm not eating raw fruits or vegetables yet--still on "mushy" foods.

I pretty much can eat anything. That is a great idea about the Greek yogurt I need to do that. Keel up the good work, you will be at goal in no time.

Jamee:)

I am going through the same thing right now! With a lower BMI its so easy to always fall back into the diet mentality of "maybe THIS diet will finally work!"

I haven't yet. I am still in the phase of getting my blood work and everything to the company I am going through. I am a very similar case to you though in weight, and I am so grateful for stumbling across your story! It gave me the courage to go through with this.

Turner, you will love it. I can't tell you how much my life has changed for the better over the past three months. I have got my self confidence back. I struggled with my weight for 11 years yo-yo dieting. I could take the weight off but I would put it back on. I look at this as a tool I can use forever if I do what I'm supposed to and not drink carbonated drinks and not over stuff myself. I have heard that people can gain the weight back if they do stuff their not supposed to. Everyone I see makes such a big deal when they see me, which makes me feel great. I have had a lot of people say "you weren't big enough to have surgery" and I say this " if my BMI considers me obese, than I wasn't too big for surgery." So I am so pleased with my weight loss. I have 15 more pounds and I will be at my goal 135. I had my surgery Aug 9 and I have lost 43 pds. I'm excited for you, it going to be a new start to a new life. If you have any questions feel free to ask.