Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am 5 months post-op and I started with a bmi of 33 and was told by everyone I wasn't big enough for surgery. I tried to go through the insurance but they required a higher bmi. It could be less than 40 but that's if you have at least two co-morbities and fortunately I had none. I did have shortness of breath and knee pain and felt depressed about my weight. Instead I went to Dr Ramos Kelly in mexico and it was the best decision I made. I'm now 120 lbs which is lower than my goal which I reached at 4 months. I'm still loosing weight but I'm eating more calories because I don't want to be a stick figure. Lol. I didn't have family support since they thought mexico was a bad choice. My hubby supported and went with me and now that I'm skinny and my surgery and recover went great everyone changed their mind and even asking for info. My neighbor went last week after seeing my sucess she was inspired and she also had a low bmi.

Hi, I am 5 months post-op and I started with a bmi of 33 and was told by everyone I wasn't big enough for surgery. I tried to go through the insurance but they required a higher bmi. It could be less than 40 but that's if you have at least two co-morbities and fortunately I had none. I did have shortness of breath and knee pain and felt depressed about my weight. Instead I went to Dr Ramos Kelly in Mexico and it was the best decision I made. I'm now 120 lbs which is lower than my goal which I reached at 4 months. I'm still loosing weight but I'm eating more calories because I don't want to be a stick figure. Lol. I didn't have family support since they thought mexico was a bad choice. My hubby supported and went with me and now that I'm skinny and my surgery and recover went great everyone changed their mind and even asking for info. My neighbor went last week after seeing my sucess she was inspired and she also had a low bmi.

Thank you all for sharing your stories. at 32 BMI, I keep having serious doubts about going through with this. My PCP agreed to work with me through the process (even though he does not recommend it), surgeon has agreed to do the procedure, labs have been ordered. Still waiting to get appointment time for Ultrasound of my belly and Upper GI test of some kind. They might be able to do the surgery this month. UGH. I hate being so indecisive. Will I ever really enjoy food again if I get this done? Will I be able to live life to its fullest if I don't get this done. My mind has been reeling back and forth for the last 3-4 weeks! Help. While my BMI is relatively low at 32, an extra 50 lbs on a 5'1 frame is a lot.

Lovevsg- that is great to hear. Everyone has been telling me the same thing about not being big enough to have this done. So I woke up this morning to go to Dallas, my surgery is Tuesday. The office informed me that my surgeon is no longer with that practice. They said to still come and another surgeon is going to do it for me. I'm a little worried now. I'm hoping after they sleeve me I will be as happy as you. And to the post who is unsure I'm right with ya. You just need to pray and make a decision. You need to write down all the pros and cons of having the surgery. I guarantee the pros will outweigh the cons.good luck with your decision:)

Lovevsg- that is great to hear. Everyone has been telling me the same thing about not being big enough to have this done. So I woke up this morning to go to Dallas, my surgery is Tuesday. The office informed me that my surgeon is no longer with that practice. They said to still come and another surgeon is going to do it for me. I'm a little worried now. I'm hoping after they sleeve me I will be as happy as you. And to the post who is unsure I'm right with ya. You just need to pray and make a decision. You need to write down all the pros and cons of having the surgery. I guarantee the pros will outweigh the cons.good luck with your decision:)

Jmiller - I live just outside of Dallas, so if you need anything, message me and I'll be glad to help. Good luck with your surgery. Lili.

Jmiller,

Look on the forum page and scroll down till you see 2011 sleevers,click and go to August 2011 and join us August All-Stars!!!!!!!!!!!:D

HELLO Topic starter,

I had a bmi 33, and I had my surgery on July 12, and it was approved by my insurance blue cross blue shield.

Sheri

I have the same issues with a lower BMI. But, at 5'4" and 197lbs I am not happy with my health (have several co-morbidities) or my looks. I posted recently on VST and got great support and information but I am still curious about the recovery process for low BMI surgery. I am a private pay patient and my dr is in Dallas. He is a "center of excellence" physician at a COE facility so I feel comfortable about my decision. Also, my internist is completely supporting my decision. I have been a patient of his for 30+ years and his support was a big factor in my decison...he's very conservative.

I've gone back and forth about the fears and possibilities and know that I have done proper research and selected the best doctor I can find. I've learned that it's possible to find people to support almost any doubt I may have but I trust my medical experts so, at 62, I'm ready to go on September 6.

I hope to hear all about the recovery process from other lower BMI's as we go forward. Thanks so much for sharing.

HELLO Topic starter,

I had a bmi 33, and I had my surgery on July 12, and it was approved by my insurance blue cross blue shield.

Sheri

How did it go?

I just sent an email to my liaison at alighterme with questions about this topic. I'm having my surgery done in Mexico with Dr. Kelly on 08/22. On the original paperwork I guessed on my weight as 220 because I had packed my scale in storage out of frustration. As we made plans and set my surgery date, I got my scale out and was happy to see I was actually 210. I let the liaison know to change my weight and BMI on my paperwork. But the 210 was with clothes on and my first day of my cycle (sorry if TMI) so when I got on the scale today w/out clothes and the Water retention down, I'm now 204.4. This puts my BMI to 32.5. I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I'm thrilled that I have less weight to lose but I'm worried that with two weeks of the Protein Shake diet I may lose another 10 lbs. or more and bring my BMI to 30 or 31 (or even 29?). I usually do really well on diets the first couple weeks and lose a lot of weight. Will the doctor turn me away if I lose too much on the pre-op diet? I don't want to become too "thin" to qualify! Seems like such a silly thing to have to ask...

Hand up over here! I've lost almost 60 lbs in 6 months! I've never heard of insurance covering it at that BMI but I don't know much because I was self-pay. My surgeon made it very very clear that it was considered an elective/cosmetic surgery and I was fine with that! I'd rather be a size 8 than have big boobs!

Be careful you don't lose too much weight. I was told by several different surgeons, including a VSG one that they'd definitely turn me away if my BMI was 29.9. And don't try chugging water... it just doesn't work as you'll have to keep going to the bathroom.

As my BMI was only just 30 I didn't do a pre-op diet and I was told to enjoy myself foodwise and even then I only gained a pound or two (crazy right when you try to do stuff).

Just heard back... Here's what she said: "That's fantastic on your weight loss, and it's completely normal and they encourage it. They will not turn you away at all. That's a normal question as I thought the same too cause I lost right before." So, I feel much better. I'll follow my pre-op faithfully and lose what my body will lose in the next two weeks knowing that they won't turn me away.

To Dallasmom4, the recovery process for lower bmi patients in my opinion its easier because we have less fat pushing on the incisions. I was sleeved the same day as a lady that had a high bmi and I was sitting down with my feet legs crossed on top of the bed the day after surgery and she said she couldn't sit like that or she had pain. I never took one pain pill and only had gas the first few days. I also went for a walk to the beach near the hospital with my hubby. The nurses weren't too happy since I went without even telling and its Tijuana. I enjoyed my walk and felt great. The only thing I felt was tired and sleepy at times while I was still on liquids. I've seen others have surgery with low bmi and they seem fine once their home.