Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another portion question

I'm 3 weeks post-op and in the mushies stage. So far, I haven't had any problems that I know of but I'm still getting used to a lot of the new rules.

Although I don't have any fill yet, I've noticed that after eating, I'll feel a little internal "soreness". What I can't figure out is whether this is caused by the surgery/healing or if I'm over-eating.

For example, today for lunch, I had mashed potatoes and meat loaf. I took very small bites of the meat along with potatoes, chewed to mush, ate slowly, etc. There was probably 1 cup of potatoes and maybe another cup of meat. I stopped when I felt full. Was this too much? Does the fact that I'm a guy make a difference?

I am cetainly no expert, so someone correct me if I am wrong. 2 cups of food seems like a lot for being 3 weeks out. Certainly every doctor has different orders, but I beleive my doctor's instructions during that time was about a half a cup. I didn't feel full very often, but I wasn't hungry either.

2 cups of food does seem like alot being your only out 3 weeks, but everyone heals differently. Being you have no restriction you'll be able to each much more than some one with a fill.

I would eat less and eat more often if you have to, rather than eat alot at one sitting. Try not to feel "full" try to feel satisified.

I couldn't eat that much until I was out about 3 months or so... then food went down like before I was banded... Now that I have restriction its a huge difference in how much I can eat. 1 cup at times seems like a mountain to climb.

Your doing fine, just watch the amount... continue to go slow, tiny bites and you'll be okay. Your body will let you know when you've done to much.

Hugs !!

With no restriction you are hungry. I am too and I'm 4 weeks out. You shouldn't try to eat that much in one seating. The stomach is healing and the "weight" of the food in the pouch is what they are trying to avoid in the beginning stages. If you are really hungry eat smaller meals, but more of them, until you can get a fill. Don't let the soreness come after eating. That being said, when in doubt, call your doctor for instructions.

Okey doke then. I was under the impression that before the first fill, we should eat slowly until we felt full. Since I never got that feeling of fullness until I ate a cup of each, I assumed that's what I should feel like. The doctor's instructions were a little unclear. He listed what I should be eating during this stage but not any clear guidelines on correct portion sizes. As Jack said, I'm relearning some bad habits.

The difference between "full" and "satisfied" is really critical to understand. It is the key to battling head hunger. Jack, as always, you explain it so well!

Good luck in your journey, hawg heaven. You are asking all the right questions! Hope you like hanging out here!

Jack - I agree with Mouse. That is a great explaination. I think I have only felt full once in the 2 months since my surgery. I have tried to only eat until I am no longer hungry. That is so hard for a big eater like me, but working well so far. Like I have said in some other posts, its easy to fix the phsical but it takes time to retrain the head.

I was told by both the doc and the dietician to aim for 1 cup total per meal. I'm 5 months out and still eat approximately that amount, and they still seem happy with that. But I have to agree with everyone else that 2 cups does seem like an awful lot. Good luck!

Emily

I was told by both the doc and the dietician to aim for 1 cup total per meal.

That would really depend on where you are after surgery... for instance, for me 1 cup was alot at first... but by my 3 - 4 month out, unrestricted I was eating an entire hero. When I told the doctor I could do this he said it was ok, as long as I was losing weight?? WTF?? thats not what they taught us, but he was fine with it. Up until this last fill am I now able to only eat 1 cup and thats 8 months after surgery.

So you see, everyone is different, you just need to pay attention to your body signals and ignor the mind (I know easier said than done) lol, old habits are hard to break.

Hawg... your gonna do just fine.

I guess that it does all depend on the doctor that you used...I had mine about the same time as you and my dr had me on Clear Liquids for 3 days then 2 ounces of mushies per meal 3 times a day for 5 weeks then only 4-5 ounces of normal good food after that...He told me that the 2 ounces for 5 weeks was for healing purposes and to get use to the band...You ought to call your doctor and get specifics on what he thinks you ought to be doing per meal tho

Hi everyone. Just would like to say that I think that everyone is doing so good. Avilla you are doing so good!! go,go,go,go!!!!

Thanks...That really means alot to me...Right now I am stuck between that "starvation period" and my first fill (August 4th)...I cant wait for my ticker to start moving again!!Your date is coming up!! Your going to do wonderful!!

I'm also 3 weeks out and on Mushies.

My dietician and doc have given me instructions to eat 1/2 cup of soft food every 2 1/2 hours.......although I do feel as though I could easily eat twice that amount.

I can't wait to get a fill and finally feel some restriction!

I think it was Letha from this board that said somewhere that our goal should be to not try to see how much we can eat but to see how little we can get by with and still be SATISFIED not FULL. It is a mind game with me, I have head hunger all the time and I am over 2 years out. Try to make it a habit to say to yourself "am I satisfied with this little amout then if I am STOP eating! There will be more food available later if you get hungry then! " I know, I should not talk to myself, but hey - Whatever works!! Thanks letha for your good advice - it works for me!

Hey Lapband fan, You look absolutely wonderful. Congrats on all your weight loss. Re-post your pictures on the before and after thread so everyone can see what a sucess you are. So proud of you.:) :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: