Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Down right discouraged!

I am soo over this! I am hungry to where my stomache just aches! I try to eat something and can only eat two bites and then feel nauseated. WTH!!! I am only 4 weeks out and am starting to regret having this surgery. I cant drink the Protein Shakes, cant get in all the Water. i know the swelling should be gone now. I am just in a bad place, but continue to smile and tell everyone everthing is fine and great, but secretly I am miserable!!!:(

I know it’s hard but don’t get too discouraged. I had lots of regrets and talks with God on what did I do to myself for the 1st month or 2. It takes time but it will get better. Just keep trying and you will push through.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time. At 4 wks some of the swelling should be down but I have heard can take up to 6 wks. It can be overwhelming. Are you on a PPI/acid reducer? Sometimes acid can feel like gnawing hunger. It can also cause nausea. Is your urine dark? That is a sign of dehydration, and nuasea can also be a symptom of dehydration. I highly recommend the PPI it can make such a big difference. I hope you feel better soon. If not please call your surgeon.

I am sorry you are having such a rough post op time. The swelling is there and the staple line doesn't fully heal for 6 months. Right now your liquids and Protein are your most important goal to meet. Its weird but the more dehydrated and deficient you get the more nauseated you feel. Are you taking any kind of PPIs like prylosec? A lot of new sleeves develop acid build up issues for a while after surgery I didn't but many describe the acid build up feeling like hunger.

I'm only 10 days out, but I was nauseous until I started taking my PPI first thing every morning. Now I'm doing great on soft foods. That hungry feeling went away too. I hope you feel better soon!

Make sure you contact your surgeon. They could let you know if you need to add a PPI. Make sure your diet is okay, and offer some support based off your medical needs.

When I got sleeved the first month was the hardest month in my life. I was miserable, had regrets, food made me sick, i was ALWAYS hungry. That all changes. You need to give it some time to become easier. I know you will be happier in a few weeks. This is the hardest part! Once you get through this you will be so much happier. HANG IN THERE

For me, the first 8 weeks was HORRIBLE. It does get better, I promise.

Please start taking 20m of Omeprazole in the morning at least an hour before you eat, if you haven't already. That will zap the tummy rumbling and may help with the nausea. We have to be very vigilant about acid with the sleeve. I am 4 months out and still take my omeprazole daily. In the beginning I was taking it twice a day - once in the morning and one before bed. I also slept with 4 pillows to keep the acid down. I no longer have this problem, but it was hard in the beginning.

Take care---

Thanks for the replies!

I am not on a PPI. My surgeon does not routinely prescribe those. It seems that the consensus says I should be on one. I will bring this up to my Dr. and see what he says, at this point I will try anything. My urine is dark and small amount so I am trying to increase my Water intake. Thanks to all of you for responding.

Melissa

I am soo over this! I am hungry to where my stomache just aches! I try to eat something and can only eat two bites and then feel nauseated. WTH!!! I am only 4 weeks out and am starting to regret having this surgery. I cant drink the Protein shakes, cant get in all the Water. i know the swelling should be gone now. I am just in a bad place, but continue to smile and tell everyone everthing is fine and great, but secretly I am miserable!!!:(

You probably have heard of this already, but it does get better. . . I promise. . . i hated my sleeve for many many months and now at almost 2 years out am so glad I have it. . . I had the worst stall ever and had to actually start to diet in order to move the stall. . . well without the sleeve this diet would be impossible. it really helps alot. so for right now you may hate the bugger, but eventually you will be glad you got it done. . . you'll be ok, keep doing what you do and good luck!

My urine is dark and small amount so I am trying to increase my urine intake. Thanks to all of you for responding.

Melissa

I can't add any more than others that it WILL GET BETTER! That first 6 weeks you really wonder what you've done to yourself.

But, I have to add some humor. :P

Please don't increase your urine intake. That is gross & I'm sure it won't add a lot of value to your digestive needs.

:D:P:D:P:D:P:D:P:D

You probably have heard of this already, but it does get better. . . I promise. . . i hated my sleeve for many many months and now at almost 2 years out am so glad I have it. . . I had the worst stall ever and had to actually start to diet in order to move the stall. . . well without the sleeve this diet would be impossible. it really helps alot. so for right now you may hate the bugger, but eventually you will be glad you got it done. . . you'll be ok, keep doing what you do and good luck!

Thinoneday thank you thank you so much for posting this. You have done so well but it is nice to know that even after two years with a bit of an effort we can still lose if we have hit a stall. I am just about a year out and though I can't eat a ton I have been eating some junk and gained a couple pounds. I was so scared that if I went on a bit of a diet and lets face it we all know how to diet here, that I would not be able to continue to lose because I was a year out. I don't think it will be hard to cut out the junk and my hunger is such that I wont feel hunger deprived. I just need to get back to the basics and lose the last 15 or so that I want to lose. Thank you again for posting this. I was feeling alone and like maybe I was a defective sleever for having to consider doing a "diet".

lol lol lol . Thanks, that made me laugh so hard!!!!:D

I can't add any more than others that it WILL GET BETTER! That first 6 weeks you really wonder what you've done to yourself.

But, I have to add some humor. :P

Please don't increase your urine intake. That is gross & I'm sure it won't add a lot of value to your digestive needs.

:D:P:D:P:D

lol lol lol . Thanks, that made me laugh so hard!!!!:D

Good!

Hello--

I am also one of those who could never get the Water and Protein shakes in. Try to eat some popsicles - they are all Water and can trick your tummy into taking it. Also, when I was at my most depleted (because I couldn't eat and barely drink) I did switch to full sugar original gatorade for a few days. I had to dilute it because the taste was so strong, but it has the electrolytes you need. Do your very best make sure to get your omeprazole. You REALLY NEED IT in the beginning. It may take a couple of days to build up in the system, but it will calmdown the rumbling. My doctor prescribed the PPI for the first several months, whether I had symptoms or not :-)

Good luck---