Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't believe the energy y'all have

Totally normal! I remember starting to was my hair in the shower and then leaning against the shower door unable to finish without my husband's help.

Up your carbs a little- it will help with some short term energy. You, all of you who are weak, are recovering from major major surgery! I heard a doctor on the radio saying stomach surgery and open heart surgery are the two worst to recover from. Give yourself time~ It was almost three weeks before I started walking more than a few blocks and I am up to an hour a day now-PLUS Water aerobics as my body rejoices in losing some weight to carry . IT WILL GET BETTER!

Meanwhile though I encourage you all to FIND SOME Protein YOU CAN TOLERATE! With your new tiny tummies you are not going to be able to get all your Protein from food for quite some time and you really need it to help with your stamina and to keep your body from feeding on muscle instead of fat cells when your calories are so low. This is a proven thing! I too hated most of the first ones I tried but finally found one I can tolerate mixed with Decaf coffee and blended with ice. I also rely totally on unjury chicken soup- it tastes like chicken Soup packets- just add at least 12 ounces of Water or more, not 8, or it is way too salty. The web site Vitalady.com will sell you a single serving of any of the protein that they sell- that is how I found my favorite. Also get unflavored portein and add it to Soup, pudding, etc. GET YOUR PROTEIN!

Be good to yourselves- this is early on in a long journey!

Hi!

i dont have a lot of energy either, and I get in plenty of Protein. I've also been home since the 24th (sleeved the 21st)

I go back to the doc tomorrow and that will be my first time doing major traveling.

I'm hoping that with the more movement I make, the more energy I'll have.

I walked a mile the other day, got home, and had to lay down. Felt like the world was closing in on me. It was horrible.

I imagine it gets better with tim

I was sleeved on June 24th and still can't take a shower without feeling exhausted much less walk a mile or two. Of course I did almost die from internal bleeding but still I am amazed at what some of you can do soon after surgery. I hope to start some soft foods after my dr visit thur and maybe that will give me the energy. I have yet to finish a shake, usually just 3 or 4 sips is all I can gag down so I know I'm not getting the Protein but I am getting the fluids in. I'm proud of you girls and guys that have the energy to get on with living hopefully I will be there soon too.

I was sleeved on June 24th and still can't take a shower without feeling exhausted much less walk a mile or two. Of course I did almost die from internal bleeding but still I am amazed at what some of you can do soon after surgery. I hope to start some soft foods after my dr visit thur and maybe that will give me the energy. I have yet to finish a shake, usually just 3 or 4 sips is all I can gag down so I know I'm not getting the Protein but I am getting the fluids in. I'm proud of you girls and guys that have the energy to get on with living hopefully I will be there soon too.

I felt just the way that you do. I was still so weak even 10 days out from my surgery that I had to keep getting in and out of the shower to lie down and take multiple breaks. Once I began eating pureed consistency foods, I got in more calories and started feeling more normal. I'm 3 weeks out now and I feel worlds better. It won't take you too long.

Anytime there are additional complications, the recovery is going to be much longer. I was exhausted for a solid 2 months post-op. I had my own set of complications with the revision, then a 2nd hospitalization around 6-7 weeks out that landed me back on a heavy napping schedule with drains and on more meds than I thought I could ever manage. So, just take it easy, stay hydrated, and rest when needed.

I also didn't get Protein in until I was 6-8 weeks out because all of the Protein drinks made me sick. I developed a whey Protein intolerance and could not use them. The soy and other protein alternatives were not tolerated well either.

That makes me feel better , I have been really worried about not getting much Protein. The only thing I have actually enjoyed was a sugarfree fudgecicle. Lol. Not getting to walk as much as I need to now I've been worried about blood clots. Im not usually such a worry wart.

That makes me feel better , I have been really worried about not getting much Protein. The only thing I have actually enjoyed was a sugarfree fudgecicle. Lol. Not getting to walk as much as I need to now I've been worried about blood clots. Im not usually such a worry wart.

I worried every day until the surgeon cleared me so don't feel bad for worrying. Try wiggling your legs or pulling them up to your waist area 10-20 times per hour to keep the circulation going. I slept in compression stockings that I brought home from the hospital. If you are concerned with blood clots, put in a call to your surgeon and get a pair from them.

They didn't making sleeping impossible, and kept my legs warm.

Hey, I know the Protein shakes are gross, but please please PLEASE try hard to get in more Protein. Your body is in starvation mode, and the less protein you feed it, the more it's going to burn muscle at the moment rather than fat. (Muscle requires more energy to feed than anything else, so it's efficient for your body to reduce your muscle mass, but it makes you even weaker, and sabotages your weight loss in the weeks ahead).

Have you tried unjury chicken Soup? It's not exactly gourmet, but at least it's not sweet, and it packs a protein punch. I like it pretty well, though I'd be happier if I could have it HOT. Lukewarm broth isn't exactly my thing (but neither is being to weak to finish my shower! )

I don't know about you, but all the posts I read on these forums overrode my own good sense about what to expect. You read so many stories about these people who felt AWESOME after surgery. They had no pain! They went shopping in Tiajuana! They lost 20 pounds the first week! I woke up in the hospital feeling like crap, and my stomach HURT and getting out of bed HURT and I was so glad none of the nurses remembered the surgeon wanted them to make me cough every two hours because I was utterly incapable of self-inflicting that much pain on myself. I thought to myself, WTF??? I thought this was supposed to be easy! (and my brain says back to me, well - duh! this is surgery you idiot!) There's some guy on one of the other forums who's posted in just about every thread about how he didn't need any pain meds, and he feels awesome, and I swear, if I read one more of those posts I'm going to get myself into my car, drive my butt to Nebraska and kick his ass!

:angry:

(Ok, I should explain here that this is my first day off the good narcotics, and apparently I'm not quite ready yet. But my surgeon explained that you don't get any REM sleep on the narcotics, which might explain why I was sleeping for two hours at a stretch, and then wide awake, and then so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open 30 minutes later. Zombie mode! I'm sure at any moment I'm going to feel SO much better and be glad I'm off the narcotics. Any .... moment.... now.....)

Hang in there. Some people are apparently blessed by the good surgery fairies, and have an impossibly easy time of it (and I think of them as the blonde perky cheerleaders I detested so much in high school), and some of us have a much different experience, and that's completely normal. I'm working hard to get the protein in, get plenty of other liquids, and though none of it tastes grand, it's my medicine, so my body can heal, and I'll feel better tomorrow and even better the day after that. There will be plenty of days of fabulous eating (in small quantities) ahead. If you haven't already, check out TheWorldAccordingToEggface - that woman eats WELL, and we'll be able to eat things she can't dream of because we didn't have RNY. Maybe you'll be the foodie blogger for us Sleevers!!

Just wanted to let you know that I too have a hard time getting in Protein. I am not a fan of the after taste of Protein mixes. However, my nutritionist suggested I try this Jello that has 23 grams of protein and 0 grams of sugar. It is called Protein snack by Pure Protein. It comes in two flavors tropical citrus and cherry punch. I went with the Cherry Punch. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how there was no sugarfree or protein after taste. I got mine at a nutrition food store here in Indiana.

You might try it and see if it helps you get a little closer to your protein goals. So you can start healing faster.

Good Luck!

Nichole

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't taken any pain meds at all since leaving the hospital cuz I havent really had any pain severe enough and I am feeling better every day. I am going to lookfor that Jello. I did have a little pureed chicken for Breakfast and again for lunch and I feel better. I'm so glad for all of the commiseration and advise on this site. You guys rock!!!

I don't know about you, but all the posts I read on these forums overrode my own good sense about what to expect. You read so many stories about these people who felt AWESOME after surgery. They had no pain! They went shopping in Tiajuana! They lost 20 pounds the first week! I woke up in the hospital feeling like crap, and my stomach HURT and getting out of bed HURT ...

Haaa!!! You certainly never read any of MY posts pre surgery!

I did not have an easy breezy go of it immediately post op. In fact one of my friends had to text me to make sure I was still alive!! LOL :) I too was in a lot of pain, couldn't pee on my own so I had to have a catheter "installed" while awake, had severe pain every time I swallowed, major fatigue for minimum first six weeks, walking dead I tell ya! It started to feel like I was going to feel that way forever. I also felt very snowed because I'd asked an array of questions and everyone kept saying how easy the surgery was and how much energy they had... mmhmmm yeah right...

Anyway, the truth is it really REALLY gets better over time. The first few months out of surgery are VERY TOUGH for the majority of us. We don't jump straight off the operating table and sign up for the Boston Marathon. Majority of us go through a normal post surgical healing period. This one puts us through misery especially because we simply CAN'T EAT!! We are weakened because we aren't getting any kind of proper nourishment. As some will say too, they can't tolerate the Protein shakes. I could, thank goodness but a few sips every hour really isn't anything to be so rah-rah about either.

I think newbie sleevers, just take a step back and really look at the big picture here. Realize what you put your body through, register it and never forget. Your first and main focus SHOULD BE to get all your fluids in or as close as you absolutely positively can. Next, get some Protein in, in any form you can stand and which doesn't make you physically sick. Get PLENTY of rest!!! Don't get up and try to get chores done or anything in your healing period. If need be, have a little bell next to your bed so someone can take care of you! :P Also, do your very best to try to get up and around every few hours. Even walking a little bit around the house, such as from your bed to your resting chair, to the bathroom, then back to bed. All of that counts! And most importantly, have patience in yourself. Healing takes some time...

Wishing you all well!! :)

I don't know about you, but all the posts I read on these forums overrode my own good sense about what to expect. You read so many stories about these people who felt AWESOME after surgery. They had no pain! They went shopping in Tiajuana! They lost 20 pounds the first week! I woke up in the hospital feeling like crap, and my stomach HURT and getting out of bed HURT and I was so glad none of the nurses remembered the surgeon wanted them to make me cough every two hours because I was utterly incapable of self-inflicting that much pain on myself. I thought to myself, WTF??? I thought this was supposed to be easy! (and my brain says back to me, well - duh! this is surgery you idiot!) There's some guy on one of the other forums who's posted in just about every thread about how he didn't need any pain meds, and he feels awesome, and I swear, if I read one more of those posts I'm going to get myself into my car, drive my butt to Nebraska and kick his ass!

:angry:

OMG, this is the funniest thing I've read today. I know that guy (and those like him). I kind of want to shout "oh, shut the **** up" because I did not have a good first couple of weeks. I only started feeling even nominally normal yesterday, at two weeks when I was able to take Vitamins and get off of that Isopure stuff. I still have stomach muscle pain, but it's better as well. It's getting there.

Hang in there. Everyone's journey is different. I just keep telling myself that.

... now the challenge is getting enough Protein in. I'm SO not a Protein Drink fan, but it's better than Isopure! LOL