Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any 'self pay' sleevers out there?

I was self pay in est europe, romania. Three years ago the costs were around 3k euros for the kit and the final was around 5k with the medications and few other things I had to pay in the hospital.

I was just looking on my doctor`s website and I see the costs for gastric sleeve 3k euros, 3,4k euros for the better gastric kit and 200 euros for medications.

Sounds close with what I`ve paid off 3 years ago. Seems that is much cheaper than in US. I guess this is why so many people are coming here for surgeries.

It will be $15,300 for me - that includes surgery, 1 year of followup care, 6 months membership to their exercise facility, 2 personal trainer consults, 90 days of Blis coverage. It did not include the pre-op testing, which will go through insurance (I do have co-pays on it - 20%, but still better than 100%). The Protein and Vitamins were required to be purchased from the doctor's office for the first supply - that was $125 for 2 week Protein Powder supply (48 total shakes) and 1 month of vitamins for post-op.

$17,900 in DC. Got a CareCredit loan interest free for 18 months for $15,900. So I paid out of pocket for the rest and $1,000 for additional tests and consultations.

I will be paying $11,999 in August in kansas city kansas area. Includes doctor,hosp (1 night) and 1 year follow up. The insurance is Bliss ($1800) but I decided not to take it. My doc was head of the bariatric hospital in Philly so the only I was concerned about was dehydration and needed an iv line. But my hubby is a veterinarian so he can put one in if I need it. My insurance will pick up EGD, Pre op blood I pay 10% and copays.

Haven't had my surgery yet but it will be about 20,000, sounds high compared to some of you. Mine will be close to Minneapolis and will include Blis insurance. I also checked out Milwaukee and the cost is about the same.

18K for scarless VSG in Newport Beach, CA. (Click on link to watch scarless VSG surgery)

Can completely empathize with you since my insurance told me I was not fat enough. Really? 80# overweight for almost 15 years, a knee surgery and diabetic yet I am not fat enough? ARGH

I took a medical loan out of my 401K.

I was self pay with Dr Wade Barker in Dallas. The cost was $14,200. That included his visits, surgery, hospital, anesthesia and 1 yr follow up visits. But it did not cover the pre-op testing, such as the sleep study, EKG, stress test, etc.

$17,900 in DC. Got a CareCredit loan interest free for 18 months for $15,900. So I paid out of pocket for the rest and $1,000 for additional tests and consultations.

Hi there!! May I ask which surgeon did you used in DC that accept CareCredit.

Thanks!!

I was a self pay in Louisiana and my cost was $13,600. That included everything. If I have a complication and have to go to hospital to be admitted all I have to pay is $200. I was just in for 3 days for dehydration and its nice to know what would of been a several thousand dollar hospital bill was only $200.

Who was your doctor?

Got a quote from a dr in Murfreesboro, TN- $12300 for everything EXCEPT the insurance after the fact. Turn around time from first appt to surgery is only 3 weeks.

I actually have insurance coverage for bariatric procedures but have a $6500 copay. I have considered going the self pay route because of my high deductible and avoiding the 6 month long process that comes with insurance.

I'm still undecided. Advice anyone??

I did the same thing, but my out of pocket costs were much lower than the numbers you're listing. My total out of pocket , including the pre-op stuff was $5,600 ($5,100 for the doc and all surgery/hospital costs, and $500 for the EGD). I was more than willing to pay for the operation out of pocket rather than jump through all of the hoops my insurance carrier (BCBS) mandated.

Edited by mc1502

Self pay here in Seattle area and paying 17000.

I'm in Missouri and my insurance wouldn't cover a thing. So I did some research and found that the average cost of VSG surgery was lowest in the state of Oklahoma. Then I researched doctors within that state to find a good one. I went with Dr. Broussard at WeightWise in Edmond, OK, and my cost was $10k for everything except the pre-op stuff, including one year of follow ups. I am very happy with my choice of doctor and bariatric clinic, even though it was a 7 hour drive to get there!

I am just starting the process but my insurance dies not cover bariatric surgery. I have found surgeon in Kansas, price is 9000, which does not include prep EGD, nutrition and psych eval. My appt is next Monday both excited and nervous:)