Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It is aggravating after sitting and waiting forever, then everyone making things as complicated as they possibly can to add to an already stressful situation. Sorry you're going thru this and hope you get it resolved soon!

Okay. It may turn out that one thing I was told in my program was true. (Most of what they've told me is either contradicted within their own team or not true to begin with.)

But here's what they told me that was true: Always carry a card that directs any ER doctor to call your wls surgeon before they start doing anything if at all possible. In spite of how common WLS is, the general public is more informed than the average non-WLS doctor. The general public watches shows like The Doctors where we get information about things like WLS, doctors -- who know it all -- do not. They even suggested that if you have had informing discussion with your primary care and trust he/she would be able to talk intelligently with an ER doctor, that you have them as a secondary in the event they can't reach your WLSurgeon. This is the case with my doctor who would at least try.

I often wear a medic alert necklace that says "gastric path altered". I wear it on a long chain that is down under my shirt. I don't actually care for jewelry, but especially if I am going for a trip where I am away from home for the day and away from my local hospital where the surgery was done, I slip the necklace on. Also have the card in my wallet. Of course, it seems the issue is that even when you can speak for yourself, they apparent have no interest in listening!

I sure hope this works out okay for you. My hope is that as long as it has no sharp edges (and it sounds like it wouldn't) it may be uncomfortable but shouldn't do any serious harm until they can get it out. I sure hope anyway.

Okay. It may turn out that one thing I was told in my program was true. (Most of what they've told me is either contradicted within their own team or not true to begin with.)

But here's what they told me that was true: Always carry a card that directs any ER doctor to call your wls surgeon before they start doing anything if at all possible. In spite of how common WLS is, the general public is more informed than the average non-WLS doctor. The general public watches shows like The Doctors where we get information about things like WLS, doctors -- who know it all -- do not. They even suggested that if you have had informing discussion with your primary care and trust he/she would be able to talk intelligently with an ER doctor, that you have them as a secondary in the event they can't reach your WLSurgeon. This is the case with my doctor who would at least try.

I often wear a medic alert necklace that says "gastric path altered". I wear it on a long chain that is down under my shirt. I don't actually care for jewelry, but especially if I am going for a trip where I am away from home for the day and away from my local hospital where the surgery was done, I slip the necklace on. Also have the card in my wallet. Of course, it seems the issue is that even when you can speak for yourself, they apparent have no interest in listening!

I sure hope this works out okay for you. My hope is that as long as it has no sharp edges (and it sounds like it wouldn't) it may be uncomfortable but shouldn't do any serious harm until they can get it out. I sure hope anyway.

Thank you, I can't tell you how many times last night I had to repeat my predicament to see clear blank faces or to hear gastric by pass. I tell you I was ready to hit someone! What finally got through to the er doc was pulling out the very pen from purse that my surgeon used to show me my stomach would me do no bigger than that . At this point when I said it hurt and I could feel the device's location she seem to finally believe me and offered pains meds to me before she called the doctor. I can't tell you how much un appropriateness when on last night . Like comments at the desk from the doc to another worker about how getting skinny and she would have felt how cold it was in there too, to things like asking me to change into a gown behind a curtain that could not physically be closed. It was truly a horrid night that had me thinking I was just a "former" fat pt not worth their time or my dignity.

Sorry to hear about that nightmare in the hospital and SHAME on the tech for not 'wanting' to come in!! CREEPS. Let us know what happens. I really hope this works out for you.

I am so sorry to hear this! I don't know how they think something of that size would just pass through.

I am glad you're going to see your bariatric surgeon!

Sorry that you have to go through this. I am anxious to hear what your WLS has to say. BTW, I love your pic! I don't remember what it was before but I know it wasn't this one. Keep up the cycling! Good luck.

I am totally dismayed. I called the doctors office as I was instructed too and they put the nurse on the phone and I explained my situation and she says to me "well I can put you in at 6 tonight but your going to wait like 2 hours." So I say to her should I wait all day? The er doc said to call you early because he might want to do a scope on me and the nurse snaps back with "that's not happening on a day he sees patients" with snotty attitude to boot. I put a call into my reg doctor to see what he says as I still have pain in my diaphragm area and I have developed a dry cough that seems to be triggered from that area. Time for a new surgeon!

I just left a post on you profile page. I've been thinking about you!!!! I can't believe what you're being put through. I"m so sorry. I have my fingers crossed that you get some appropriate help and answers today!!!!

I am totally dismayed. I called the doctors office as I was instructed too and they put the nurse on the phone and I explained my situation and she says to me "well I can put you in at 6 tonight but your going to wait like 2 hours." So I say to her should I wait all day? The er doc said to call you early because he might want to do a scope on me and the nurse snaps back with "that's not happening on a day he sees patients" with snotty attitude to boot. I put a call into my reg doctor to see what he says as I still have pain in my diaphragm area and I have developed a dry cough that seems to be triggered from that area. Time for a new surgeon!

wow - what a nightmare but I find it insane the tech refused to come in, he could be sued for malpractice if something goes wrong and I hope it doesn't.

I hope it comes out soon painlessly for you.

Is there another hospital for you to go to?

This is just madness. I can't even believe what I'm reading. How dare they treat you like this?!? Like you have the hiccups or something equally as trivial for crying out loud. I just don't see how they don't get the urgency of this situation. Myori, you may need to go running in their office, guns blazing, screaming, carrying ON like a nutcase and I bet they will get down to business!!!

So sorry you have had to go through (and are STILL going through) this. Good luck to you!smile.gif

Well it it now 337 am and I am home. Yes I did go back the hospital I had surgery at and I am NOT impressed in the least! I had to sit for 3 hours in the er waiting room for them to argue with me that was no longer in my stomach, I said I beg to differ, I can feel it. Then I had argue with the er doc that this was not going to pass as my anatomy was altered. She said it would and wanted me to eat to prove that myself that food was going down. I said iit may be but that does not meat this thing is not stuck and food is going around it. She then proceeds to bring apples sauce, 6 gram crackers and ice Water. I told her that is more than I eat in a sitting and she looked at me like yeah right. Then told me to eat what I could, I finished the apple sauce and ended up in more pain at which point she thought calling my surgeon was a good thing. He wanted me to have a stat upper gi so they call the radiologists team who argues the need for the test and refused to come in. So they settle on cat scan which showed them nothing as the piece is plastic and does not show on cat scans. They have decided to send me home to look through my elimination and to return if I start vomiting/ fever or pain. I am suppose to see my surgeon on Monday for a scope. I will be calling the hospital administrator on Monday as I plan on chewing him a new one!

I don't even know you, but I want to call them now. UMMMMMM! HELLO! You can not stand for this. Where do you live? Can you go to another Hospital? I absolutely want to call them. I AM FURIOUS!

Just curious how things are going? Did your appliance come out yet?