Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just wondering if anyone has had their upper arms done? I'm not at goal yet but I KNOW once I get there my arms will need a lot of work and would like to see before/after pics of yours, and advice....

I don't know if you'll get much response here (might try the Plastic Surgery forum at OH!), but here's a link to some Google images. Warning--there are some boobie shots too, so be careful if you're at work or the kiddies are around! :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=brachioplasty+before+and+after&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS337&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=50vyTdukM5Oo0AHM17WFDA&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1671&bih=879

Hi, I had my sleeve at Northridge too. I haven't had surgery for my arms but have looked into it. It does leave you with some obvious looking scars. I have heard that working on those muscles so the fill up the space helps a lot.

You did?? How cool! Who was your surgeon? I had Dr. Kokkalera, who was awesome! I totally loved him and his staff! Northridge was a great hospital to have the surgery at!

As for the upper arms, mine are so huge (check out my gallery page) that if I started working them out with weights or something, they'll just get bulky with muscle and look even worse! Once I get closer to goal I'm definately going to search around for surgery on them!

Stacy, I had Dr Lyass. Do you go to the center next door to the hospital. They are all great there. The follow up has been exceptional I don't know anyone else who did self pay that get a whole year of labs and follow up as part of the package. Your arms don't look bad to me and you are young my guess you will be surprised by how much does snap back. For me I am hating my breasts they have become pretty pathetic looking can you say training bras LOL!

Yes! I went to the weight loss center next door to the hospital. OMG, they are all so wonderful there! Hannah and Kai... they treat you so well and make you feel so comfortable! I totally love them! I sure hope my skin bounces back w/out needing surgery! I dont have money for surgery.... LOL

My mom had surgery on her upper arms. She has some big scarring from it, though she gets thick scars whenever she has a surgery. I would estimate that her scar is about 1 inch thick going from armpit to elbow. She is not thrilled about the results. Though I think her surgeon could have done a better job! Her recovery was painful. I am hoping my arms will bounce back some. I had similar arms to my mom before she had surgery. Mine have gotten smaller from losing weight but I think they will tighten up enough for me to be happy. Whatever you do...make sue you research research research!

Oh I love Kai! Hannah is great too and the after care is bar none the best and they are just so helpful and supportive. There is a mini arm lift with a smaller incision. The crinkly skin get me my knees have wrinkles but I will take it over the fat any day.

My mom had surgery on her upper arms. She has some big scarring from it, though she gets thick scars whenever she has a surgery. I would estimate that her scar is about 1 inch thick going from armpit to elbow. She is not thrilled about the results. Though I think her surgeon could have done a better job! Her recovery was painful. I am hoping my arms will bounce back some. I had similar arms to my mom before she had surgery. Mine have gotten smaller from losing weight but I think they will tighten up enough for me to be happy. Whatever you do...make sue you research research research!

How long was she in pain. This is the only surgery I know of personally. A friend who has by-pass did it about 3 years ago and her surgeon did a great job. His concern, and he kept warning her, that gravity would cause them to sag again within 18 months. (Very honest surgeon.) But let me assure you, sag of thin arms is totally different than sag of once the arms of a 350 pound woman where Ann started. She has about a 1/2 inch scar and it's fading. Ann never mentioned pain at all. She was bothered more about the anxiety and stiffness of moving her arms and stretching/tearing the incision. And there were drains. And having just gone through that with my sleeve, I know I can take that for a week or so.

It's the one thing I must have done. And come Jan 1 I start my savings account and plan to have the surgery in October 12. I want to be healed and ready for the next summer. But the only person I've talked to is Ann. If I find out now it's far more painful than I thought, I might just have to live in 3/4 sleeves.

Check out youtube as well. I know there are a lot of post-bariatric patients on there that have had surgery done and yeouch....looks painful to me but I'm a total wimp :rolleyes:

Here is my 2 cents worth. No my arms are not perfect, I have loose wings, but they really only show when I lift my arms up away from my body sideways. I have a girl friend who had the surgery, not only was she in a lot of pain, now she had scars that run the length of her upper arms. So I am thinking if I have surgery I am still going to be embarrassed from scars to wear sleeveless shirts so what is the point???? I will continue to tone my arms and that toning shows front and out side and really a lot in the lower arms and so I will carefully chose my shirts and continue to tone, no surgery on arms for me. Now since I will NEVER be bikini material I will have a tummy tuck!

Great topic!! Thanks for asking!! I've been thinking about the same thing lately and looking at the 2 surgery options...

I really appreciated reading this thread. I am not at all into this about looks but this is the one surgery I will have to have. 10 -11 years ago when I lost a ton of weight I looked into this and the comments about the severe pain really surprise me. I had consultations with 3 different plastic surgeons and they all said this was one of the least painful reconstructive you could have as it was typically all about fat and skin, not cutting into muscle. My understanding was that there would be drains but now that I've had one of those for 10 days with the sleeve (due to having the gall bladder out at the same time) I know I can cope with them.

BTW, 2 of the 3 surgeons were very ethical and actually told me the same thing -- they don't like doing this operation due to the high level of dissatisfaction. I had to assure them that I wanted a 160 pound arm that sagged, not a 365 pound arm (my starting point those years ago) that sagged. The 3rd plastic surgeon was almost who you would expect to see on a tv sitcom, trying to con me into surgery the next day!

My arms are my real weak point. My stomach isn't an issue at all. But my arms are so bad it will prohibit me from wearing certain clothes as I will need large sleeves to almost tuck all the sloppy skin into. I just can't live with that the rest of my life. Some day I'd like to travel a bit to some beaches and I can't do that in a 3/4 bathing suit!

I'd really appreciate anyone who has this surgery posting and keeping it visible. And I will do the same in 18 months when I take a run for it.

You probably would find more people who are able to answer your questions at ObesityHelp.com . Look for the plastic surgery forum.

thanks for the tip!!!

You probably would find more people who are able to answer your questions at ObesityHelp.com . Look for the plastic surgery forum.