Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out and miserable

:( So sorry you feeling so horrible! I haven't had my surgery yet...coming very soon...but I thought I'd throw something out there. I read a thread on this forum...I think it was on here....where the lady was having a lot of trouble getting anything down and her daughter went out and bought her an inexpensive ice cream cone machine. She used it just for the shaved ice. It worked for her. Just my 2 cents. I may be way off but it's just an idea.

That's a great idea about the shaved ice. Funny thing is, when I was immediately post-op I could only drink room temperature or warm liquids. Cold ones made my new tummy spasm. But, I could eat popsicles, 2 or 3 in a row! Crazy, right? It worked for me, though. smile.gif

Hi Eddie - please give us an update when you can. Hopefully you are getting some IV fluids now.

Warm fluids worked better for me as well. However, I tried using splenda - bad choice for me. It gave me really painful gas which it had never done pre-op.

Hi Eddie

Sorry to hear your miserable for nauseous my Doctor gave me ONDANSETRON ODT 4MG TABLETS and it helped alot. I have had trouble getting my liquid down the best way for me was to get it as cold as I can the colded the better and lot of popsicle for the first few days that was the only way i was able to get my liquid's in me2 small sips and i was done. As for as Protein I found Special K has Protein packets you can add to a bottle Water and I took the mix and made myself protein popsicle's. Hope whats has worked for me might help you in some way. My surgery was on May 24,2011

TKaye

Hi everyone,

My name is Eddie. I was sleeved on May 13th after about 6 months of research. I' was 5'7' and 250 pounds before I started and have lost 25 pounds.I was pretty active before, just lived on fast food and got fat. I didn't like the long term complications with the band and the full bypass was too scary.

In the three weeks since I've had this done, I've been miserable. I'm exhausted, nauseous & struggle just to get 20 ounces of liquid and maybe 20 grams of protein a day. I've tried Protein Powder, Isopure, Protein Shots, you name it. Nothing taste decent enough to make me not want to boot it back up. The thought of food or drink makes me want to yack. I've already barfed today. I called the doc and his brilliant suggestion was to drink more. If I could drink more, I doubt I'd be in this situation. At this point, I'm not worried about losing weight. I just want to get healthy enough again to be productive. Anyone else go through this?? What did you do??

Hi Eddie--

Don't worry, I never got close to my fluids or Protein requirement and I still don't. Some if us have a harder time with the Protein drinks. They make me completely ill - so much that now I can't even smell them. I was also dead-tired EXHAUSTED for about 6 weeks. It was depressing because I was in good health before I had the surgery. Your body is going through a major transition and the fatigue is part of it. You should keep focusing on liquids to stay hydrated. Do your best with Protein - you should be coming up on your mushy food time. That will really help because you can eat cottage cheese, yogurt, soft cooked meat, etc. That will do wonders for your energy.

I was able to eat popsicles early out and also drinkable yogurt (keifer or any type of yogurt smotthie from the store). The calories were a big help to me. I also did have regulr gatorade a few times when I knew I was really low on fluids and calories - anything to help keep me moving. Watch for signs of dehydration and do your best. Something that is hard to eat/drink one week will be easier the next week, you just have to keep trying.

Take care---

Hi Eddie!

Maybe you should try getting a cup of ice cubes (like bagged ice or if you have an ice maker, chrush it) and take a spoon and every 10 minutes just put some in your mouth and let it melt. Like they have you do in the hospital.

If that goes well, then the next day move to Water and get a medicine cup that comes with pepto and do little sips every 15 minutes. That is what they had me do when I came home from the hospital.

Putting too much in too soon will cause nausea. I know you are 3 weeks out, but how big of drinks are you taking? Maybe they are too much and you are upsetting your tummy. Try taking it easy. Some people have a lot of swelling and can not hold alot. If you are nauseated, you probably don't feel like drinking, but drinking actually will help.

I hope you don't let this go on too long, Dehydration is really dangerous!

Hugs,

Kelly

Hi, Eddie. I'm about 10 days out (sleeved 5/24) and I found that in the very beginning, the easiest thing for me to get down was chicken broth. I'm just now able to tolerate Water, but before that I drank broth, Sobe Life Water, Jello, etc. I agree w/ everyone else that you are most likely dehydrated and that is what is causing your nausea. I have not been dehydrated since the sleeve, but have been dehydrated before. I usually feel very queasy, sweat a lot or stop sweating if I was sweating, and can't get anything down. My doctor and his staff warned me about sweating in the heat this past week and emphasized my need to get as much water as possible, but to get myself to the ER if I was feeling the signs of dehyddration. Good luck and I hope you are doing OK.

robin

Thanks for the advise, everyone. I sucked it up and went to Urgent Care yesterday. After they took my $30 co-pay, they said said they wouldn't touch me and that I should go to ER. So, there I went....For 7 hours. They dumped some IV into me, checked my blood levels and did a CT to check for leaks. Everything looks OK. I woke up this morning feeling alot better. Had some yogurt for Breakfast and held it down. I'm going to head out and pick up the anti-nauseau med's they prescribed and see if that does the trip.

You guys rock. I wouldn't have gone without your urging. Thanks.

Eddie, i'm so glad to hear from you, and it's great news that you got hydrated and theres no leak! Try to keep sipping all day long and maybe no more ER trips. I hope the nausea meds help you. I know it's hard to eat or drink with nausea. Keep us updated and feel better!!

:)

So glad you are feeling better! Those first few weeks are the toughest but they will be a faint memory in no time. Just hang in there and remember that it's gonna get easier week by week.smile.gif

Eddie, thanks for updating I was worried about you! I know that after I was juiced up on Thursday I felt so much better. I have had a ton of energy on Friday and today. Hang in there and keep sipping your fluids. Try all kinds and see if anything works. Bf surgery I loved plain Water now it just doesn't taste right. I add Crystal Light or Propel. I am hoping I can drink plain water again soon. Also, try some popsicles. Hang in there and keep us posted on how you are feeling.

Mine was done May 11th and I was around your BMI. While I try to sip Water all day I don't come close to enough water or protean (about 2, 10g shakes at the most). first couple weeks my pee was very dark (dehydration) so I had to force down some more water, I could not do that until the doc put me on Nexium to get rid of the heartburn. I will say that over just the last few days something has clicked, I ate a little bit of spaghetti sauce with hamburger last night with a small piece of bread and am drinking coffee right now (don't drink coffee if you're dehydrated), and had my first beer yesterday (don't drink beer if you're dehydrated). Energy was, and is, a problem, I love the Energy strawberry Crystal light (has B12 in it). Bottom line is that it sounds like all of us have gone through different levels of what you are going through but most folks get through it after 1-2 months post op, some longer some shorter. Hang in there, void something like a leak or something that went wrong during surgery, it will get better.