Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I probably should have asked my doctor this before hand...

Are there any foods that we, VSGers, can NEVER eat again?

I know we can't have carbonation - but what about foods? Just so I can make sure they aren't in the house (sorry to my folks... but if I'm changing my life, they have to make a few sacrifices as well).

Tomorrow is one-week post-op. Wednesday I meet with my surgeon to (hopefully) have my drain and staples removed. Each day is different - two steps forward, and another step back. Having trouble getting liquids down right now- but I guess I can't expect to be at 60+ ounces of liquid after a week!!

Best wishes!!

post-43821-13813668212837_thumb.jpg

post-9693-1381365673123_thumb.jpeg

There are zero food restrictions. I literally eat anything and everything. And, I have drank soda for about 16 of my 24 months post-op without any issues, my sleeve capacity is the same today as it was over a year ago.

During the healing period, you should be given a list of approved foods for each stage. Once you get to regular foods, you might find that certain foods don't agree with your stomach, but you can try them again. Pork still sits heavy in my sleeve, but really nothing else bothers me. Scrambled eggs can sometimes be a bit heavy, but if I add enough cheese or deli meat, then it's all good.

There are no foods we can never ever eat, but there are foods we should avoid during weight loss because we will undermine ourselves. During this stage, you should avoid any simple carbs and even most complex carbs in the form of breads, potatoes, cereals, etc. Even sugary fruits and starchy veggies add to your carbs and slow your weight loss. If you stick to lean meat, non-starchy veggies and sensible Protein supplements plus clear non-calorie liquids you will do best.

On maintenance you can have anything in moderation but might want to avoid foods that were triggers for you. Were you someone who couldn't eat one cookie without eating the pack? Or were you like me and could eat as much Pasta as you could lay your hands on? Maybe a good idea to simply rule those foods out. Some folks say you should never make any food taboo, but to me it's easier to rule a problem food out completely than try to control it when you eat it. There's an interesting book called "The Thin Commandments" that talks about that.

Thanks folks --

I can watch all these food shows now (I'm a sucker for like cupcake and pastry shows) and not want to eat them. Which is good.

Everytime I see a popcorn commercial I wonder if I will be able to eat it ever again - since it tends to be VERY filling. I'm not saying the jumbo bowl at the movie theater - but a handful once I'm fully ready.

I know my surgeon says no gum - so I was wondering if there were other foods with those rules (either that your surgeons told you or that you've discovered have adverse effects)

Maggie, congrats on your sleeve :)

Soda is the only never, per my surgeon's guidelines. Of course low carb/protein first are recommended for life, however as far as absolute no-no, soda is it. Anything can technically be eaten in moderation. I just know from my own history that if I begin eating carbs, the floodgates open and I overdo it, so will need to really watch those.

Interesting yours mentioned gum, I've heard that once before and am curious of the reasoning.

My nutritionist said "No gum--ever!" and I asked why. She said,"You might swallow it and it can cause an obstruction." I said, "I haven't swallowed a piece of gum since I was five." I am not a big gum-chewer, but if that is the reasoning, why ever could you not have gum if you're not going to swallow it?

Also, I don't understand the "no carbonation" thing, either. The gas doesn't expand in your stomach--in fact, with food in there, the pressure inside should be higher, which would make the bubbles smaller, and with no food it would go either up as burps or down as...I had a couple sips of diet soda and I was fine with the carbonation but it doesn't taste as good as it did pre-op. Another one of those "tastes change" things for me, I guess.

My doctor said no to gum because it pushes air into your stomach -- I guess similar to soda. I haven't had soda in YEARS, so that didn't really bother me. But gum -- well, on a liquid diet, I need SOMETHING to keep my mouth busy. And when I was presurgical it was Water. Now, I can't really get much in at one sitting so it doesn't help as much. We shall see.

There is nothing that is permanently forbidden on my program. No one ever mentioned gum at all, and soda was just listed as something you shouldn't have too much of, and wait till you reach your goal first.

I have heard that coconut and celery can cause problems if you eat big amounts of them. I had the link saved but it's a broken link now.

yes there have been people who have had celery or coconut ball up in their stomachs and cause a lot of problems because they would not digest.

Yep, the coconut and celery are the only things that I've heard, it's not that they won't digest in the stomach - it never does - it is insoluble Fiber, it can just get physically balled up and can create a bezoar ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bezoar ) in the stomach, which is basically like a hairball, a lump of stuck together insoluble Fiber that can create a blockage and create a lot of pain and digestive problems.

The chewing gum and soda stuff is all BS too, I would suppose that if you were constantly swigging pop and chewing multiple packs of gum it MIGHT cause issues but as they say, everything in moderation.

My nutritionist gave me a list of no's: Carbinated drinks unitl 1 year, then pout into a cup and let go flat, gum, and the 'WHITES' basicly white rice, bread, Pasta and torillias and pita bread.

I was also given foods to avoid: raw vegtables (such as celery, carrots or anything that would be too fiberous and hard to get into a mushie state), watermelon and corn. Mind you I live for corn.

And then whole wheat products in small, very limited amounts. Mostly because my nutritionist wants me to still enjoy food, but does not want me to fill my sleeve and not get all my protien and nutients in.

But I think you are like me, once you try something you will know if it works for your 'Thumby' or you can have it, but their will be a price to pay (ie. Pain, dumping, Productive burps, ect.)

Good Luck.

I also was told that carbonation was forbidden. I really doubt it expands the stomach.

But, pre-sleeve I used to chug 5-6 cans of diet soda a day (which allowed me to eat more food). It's probably a good idea for me to NOT go back to that habit.

Moderation, moderation, moderation...