Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all :) So I know it depends on each individual .. but approx how long should I expect to be in the hospital for my surgery? And how long should I expect to be out of work once i get home?

I am really trying to avoid filing a Leave of Absence at work .. and I will have to if i miss more than 7 consecutive calendar days :(

I do work from home though.... so Im thinking that maybe after a few days I could just work at home.

Any thoughts? THanks much!!!

June 9th is my surgery date!! I am really really nervous.. but excited at the same time. A little worried about making sure i eat the right things after :( it seems like soooooo much to remember. Helppp lol

Hi there -

I was in the hospital for 24 hours, I had my surgery on Monday at about noon, and was released on Tuesday at noon.

I have taken 3 weeks off of work and am really happy that I did ~ the first week, your really not going to feel like doing anything, and although the second week you do feel better, you get tired out pretty easily -

Everyone is different, and with you working at home, maybe you can go back to work after 7 days and just rest when needed through the day ~

Getting everything in, is a job, but you can do it, and everyone here on this forum is here ready to help you if you run into any obstacles or have any questions :)

Good luck with your surgery, you will do great!!!

I went home same day. However, the first two days I could not handle anything, even sleeping was hard. My fourth day out I was a lot better and could take care of my three young boys, but not trips to the store or anything. I was off pain meds by then also. The stories here are so varied and related to surgery outcome, technique, etc. My is only one. Good Luck.

Do you work on the computer at home? It will be much easier if that is what you do. I don't think it will take long for you to get back to work at home but you won't know until you have surgery. Each person reacts differently.

I was fine after surgery and up and walking right away. I even posted on here from my hospital room and felt fine. Others don't have it so easy so you will have to wait and see how you feel.

I had my surgery on Tuesday and came home on Friday. The only "issue" I have is that I get worn out easy but I just had major surgery so that is to be expected.

Do you work on the computer at home? It will be much easier if that is what you do. I don't think it will take long for you to get back to work at home but you won't know until you have surgery. Each person reacts differently.

I was fine after surgery and up and walking right away. I even posted on here from my hospital room and felt fine. Others don't have it so easy so you will have to wait and see how you feel.

I had my surgery on Tuesday and came home on Friday. The only "issue" I have is that I get worn out easy but I just had major surgery so that is to be expected.

Hi Sarsar :)

Yes I work from home on the computer .. so Im hoping that I can work from home after a week!

Hi Tamz!

I spent one night in the hospital after a 7:30 a.m. Surgery. I had surgery on a Tuesday and was back to my office job the next Monday. I was a little tired the first week but managed without incident. I did take a half-day after being back three days just to recoup a little rest. If my job could've been done at home in my p.j.'s then I probably would've been back sooner. Keep in mind that I healed quickly without any major complications. Good luck!

Amanda

Spent 36 hours in the hospital. Could have been released sooner but I Was having chest pains.

Docs ran a bunch of tests, nothing. Only lo and behold it was gas pains like they said lol. I thought I was dying!!!

I was in the hospital for 3 nights (I couldn't get anything down). I took 4 weeks off from work, and went on short term disability. I really had a terrible time post surgery, so I was thankful I had taken the time off. I was super weak, and needed to rest frequently. BUT everyone is different, some people recover very quickly. Best wishes!

I can relate to your work situation. And you can see you have so many different answers already. I also work from home (customer service for an insurance company answering phone calls). I work 4-10 hour days.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday, came home on Thursday morning. Without taking short term disability, I had to be back to work on the following Wednesday. I went back to work the following work on Wednesday and Thursday 10 hour shifts and it was a little rough. I did get up and walked around the apartment every hour (I was taking lovenox blood thinner shots). I wish I had worked only half days for those 2 days but I made it through. I had an hour for lunch so I would walk for the first 15 minutes then have lunch. A few days I would lay down for 30 minutes for a short nap.

I was one of the lucky ones with no complicatons, no nausea, ext. I was off my pain meds by the weekend. Good Luck!

I had surgery on a wed . and I went back to work that following Monday.

Dr. Aceves keeps all his patients 3 days. You need to ask your doctor how long he keeps his patients in the hospital.

AS far as how long to take off work, everyone is so different. I could not even tell I had surgery. I had no nausea, had no trouble getting my Protein or my Water down, so I felt great. That's why I was able to go back to work in less than a week.

There are others that can barely take a sip of anything, and they feel weak. You're lucky you can work from home.

I was in the hospital for 4 1/2 days but I had some complications in the first two days thats why they kept me. My surgery was on a Wednesday and I went back to work a week and 1/2 later. I work in an office and it was slow going that first week back and had to take naps when I got home everyday for a week but have been great since.

As they say and you can see, everyone progresses differently. I had my surgery on a Monday, came home the next day. I wasn't really in that much pain except that I hurt everytime I took a swallow of anything. Also, they had me drinking an ounce of liquid every 15 minutes. I felt like I was constantly having to watch the clock and drink. My doctor told me it would take 2 weeks so I prepared my work for that and boy am I glad I did. After the first week the pain was not a problem but weakness was! I would have never been able to return after a week. I go back for the first time Tuesday after the holiday and I think I will be fine. I just have to remember to take time every couple of hours to "eat a protien shake"! The story of our sleeved lives now! ha. Working from home should be doable but my advice is to see if you can do it partial days for the first week back, You should be fine. Good luck! It's really not that hard post op, we don't have many options for the first couple of weeks! Just drink every 15 minutes the first few days and then try to choke down a few protien shakes daily and bottled water! Your good to go!

Vickie

Hi,

I had surgery on a Monday, went home on Wednesday, and worked 1/2 day on Friday. By the next Monday, I was back full-time. I also work on a computer/phone, not hauling bricks :), so I thought that the recoverty was pretty easy. Am four weeks out now, and have been back to full steam for 2 -2 1/2 weeks. You have to see how it goes for you.

Hi Sarsar :)

Yes I work from home on the computer .. so Im hoping that I can work from home after a week!

I am told I will spend one night at the hospital unless something happens that needs a little extra monitoring/TLC.

I work at the hospital and don't anticipate going back for four to six weeks due to lifting restrictions. We'll see how it goes.

I was in the hospital for two nights due to extreme nausea from the pain meds. I work from home on the computer as well. I returned to work after one week. However, I did stop and take a nap that first week back due to lack of energy. I was extremely grateful for that option.

Good Luck.