Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long will i need help with my kids post-op?

Hey guys!

I'm wondering how long I'll need help with my 2 little boys (3 & 1) right after surgery.

Here's my situation. I'm tentatively planning on getting VSG in July. I'll be flying from Pittsburgh to TX to get my surgery done. My parents live in TX and can help me with my kids in the immediate days after surgery. So here's my question---how long should I plan on staying with them after surgery? Is ten days enough? Will I need 2 weeks? How long do you think I'll need help with my two boys? I've had c-sections before but I'm not sure how the pain compares. My biggest concern is getting home to Pittsburgh...with two kids in tow and at least one layover at the airport. Obviously, I'd just check-in my luggage to save myself the hassle. I'm just trying to plan how long after surgery I'll stay with my parents in TX.

Thoughts?

Oh my goodness. That's a haul even without having surgery.

I was sleeved on 05/09 and pain was not really an issue for me. I didn't even use the liquid pain meds after I left the hospital. However, I do have an almost 4 yr old and at almost three weeks out, I don't know if I would try flying half way across country with only one child much less two. My biggest thing is energy, I still get tired. Also, I am trying really hard to make sure I don't pick up anything heavy. My dr. said it's really not an issue but I would rather be safe than sorry. With a one year old, I would be concerned about having to lift and carry, causing undue strain on your body.

Is there anyone who can fly with you to help with the kids?

My dr told me not to lift anything over 15 lbs until cleared. I can tell you the heavier the thing weighs the harder. I would try and plan for 2 weeks to give your body that extra time before you have to lift and move, etc. everyone's pain is different.

Look at it this way, you get 2 weeks recovery, the grandparents get 2 weeks with the grandbabies. i live an hour away from my mom and she still takes my 11 year old for a week or two to get her time in. Let them have their time to spoil, and you get better.

My kids were 1,3 and 9 when I had surgery. My husband took the first week off and then went to work in the afternoons during the second week. I couldn't help my 1 year old out of her crib but I did everything else for her (we changed diapers on the floor and moved her high chair down so she could climb in her self). My 9 year old was a help but mainly just picking my youngest up. I think 2 weeks with Gma and Gpa will be fine. Maybe just get one of them to help you to the gate at the airport. I would make sure you have a light stroller that fold easily and that your youngest can climb in and out of. Or you could have the airline get a wheel chair for you. Put your 1 year old on your lap and that would help for you lay over.

Hope everything goes smoothly!

Hey guys!

I'm wondering how long I'll need help with my 2 little boys (3 & 1) right after surgery.

Here's my situation. I'm tentatively planning on getting VSG in July. I'll be flying from Pittsburgh to TX to get my surgery done. My parents live in TX and can help me with my kids in the immediate days after surgery. So here's my question---how long should I plan on staying with them after surgery? Is ten days enough? Will I need 2 weeks? How long do you think I'll need help with my two boys? I've had c-sections before but I'm not sure how the pain compares. My biggest concern is getting home to Pittsburgh...with two kids in tow and at least one layover at the airport. Obviously, I'd just check-in my luggage to save myself the hassle. I'm just trying to plan how long after surgery I'll stay with my parents in TX.

Thoughts?

Wow - that is a journey. You will need to ask your surgeon what restrictions you have after surgery. I didn't ask mine what my lifting restrictions would be until just before my hosptial release and was shocked when he said nothing over 20 pounds for 8 weeks. My youngest is 20 months and weights 25 pounds. So far I've had my husband take some time off the first few days, and my mother in law stayed with me another couple days - so I've had about a full week of help. I'm also getting my son into his toddler bed so I don't have to lift him in and out of the crib. How long do you have the option of staying with your parents? I would do at least two weeks of possible.

I think 10 days will be fine. As for a wheelchair for your returning flights and bulkhead seats. Tell them you just had surgery. Work with the kids on using stepstools and such.

I have a 4 year old and didn't let him jump on my for about a month. I was back a work within a week. We are the parent though, that once our boy started walking he was walking. I rarely had a stroller with me.