Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Actually Im curious about the pre- and post op high Protein / low carb diet in general. Ive tried hundreds of times to stick to that type of eating throughout my life and fail every time. I just cant get past a few days before I feel sick, get frustrated, (and down right pissy) and break down.

Im curious as to how, if the sleeve really only works if you can stick to a low carb diet (like Atkins), am I doomed to fail if I get this procedure if i cant stick to a low carb diet forever?

I dont mean to say I wouldn't modify what I eat, I just mean does it have to be THAT strict, because truthfully, I just dont think I can do it. If I could, I would be doing it now and not have to have the surgery, right?

I could stick to it because I didn't have room for other stuff if I wanted to get my Protein via food sources only. I could not use shakes to increase Protein intake so eating my prescribed 4 meals per day with a minimum of 15gr of protein was the only way I could get in the required protein amounts.

There are plenty of sleeve patients that do not adhere to a low carb diet, and they lose just fine. It's up to you how you want to walk this journey.

I know it's difficult to understand how the sleeve makes it easier until you've been there. I didn't believe all the hype of no physical hunger, and the losing that desire to eat. But, it did happen for me. Also, for me when I saw the results of low carbing it, I didn't want to waver from what was working.

Also, in maintenance, I do not adhere to low carb diet at all and I eat all carbs even the "evil white ones" and had zero issues maintaining my weight loss eating rice, Pasta, bread, and drinking soda on a regular basis. I only did low carb for until I got to goal which was 6.5 months. The restriction of the sleeve especially early out really made it difficult for me to get in other foods so adhering to low carb wasn't an issue. I think I also had the mentality that VSG was my 2nd WLS, even though the band failed me terribly, I wasn't going to give myself any excuses or coddle myself into failing, or making excuses for going on the prescribed post-op dietary guideline.

It's a highly controversial topic for sure. :D I was just at my nutritionist today for my bi-monthly 'not eating enough carbs!' lecture. I am meant to be eating some carbs (whole grain is what I choose, but it's not required -- honestly, I am not sure there are even 'carb addicts' here) with every meal, or at least two meals each day. I kind of suck at it, but the whole program here is based on very balanced post-op diets. They are NOT Atkins or ultra high Protein fans.

So it's still down to personal choice, within guidelines of your doctor/nut of course. But it's definitely possible to be on a program that is based on moderation and a balanced intake of Protein, fruit/veg and carbs.

It's a proven fact that your brain needs carbs to function. When I go really low carb, I forget things, can't think straight, have brain fog, get extremely ill. But like Tiff said, just try to do it till you reach goal. I mean, I can't give you a better example of "what works" than looking at Tiff and her results. On the other hand, just like she said, low carb doesn't have to be the only way to go after VSG. Just do what works best for you. Trial and error.

If low carb gives you great results, then great! Just remember, the losing phase doesn't last forever. We can do anything for a little while, right?smile.gif

Pretty much if you're eating healthy your tiny sleeve is going to force you to do a low carb diet. When you get to solid foods you have to eat your Proteins first because that is the nutrient your body needs the most. I have added up my totals here and there and I get anywhere from 50-75g carbs per day. This is a bit more than many here do. However, I lose pretty good, and I don't really have many complaints. It has slowed some recently but I don't blame the carbs. I blame my laziness for not working out like I should or rather I say, like my body is used to.

I feel good though and I believe for me I have found a good balance. That's the most important thing, in the beginning is a learning curve. You just will have to find what works the best for you and what keeps you at 100% top speed.

I've picked up my normal routine for workouts again and I can already see a major difference in the last 4-5 days. I know a good sized weight drop is coming soon. I weigh on Fridays, so we'll see then or even maybe the Friday after.

Good luck to you! This will likely be the ride of your life! ;)

When I first started eating mushy solids, I was eating around 75 grams of carbs a day (darn potatoes) and the weight wasn't coming off like I had been reading about. I did a lot of research on carbs and Water intake. I adjusted my diet to reduce my carbs to less than 30 grams a day (most days is less than 20) and increased the Water intake dramatically (between 80 and 96 ounces a day). I have kept my Proteins quite high (between 80 and 100 grams). Within days of doing this the weight started coming off more quickly.

I do have days where I take in around 50 grams of carbs but the majority of those extra carbs come in my Breakfast (greek yogurt) so I can burn them off throughout the day. I try to avoid carbs after 5pm. Don't waste the space in your tiny tummy with useless foods that don't do your body any good. I did discover about a month ago that if I ate bad carbs (anything not healthy i.e. chips or a cookie) my brain wanted more carbs and I battled head hunger.

I am learning how to balance my diet now so I can have a long and healthy life without fear of gaining the weight back.

Our WLS experiences are all different and you have to find what works for you. Once you do, stick with it.

I think I know what you mean about why the low carb thing. If we could have done low-carb all this time we wouldn't need surgery, right? And when I first started reading posts seeing how strict everyone's eating was, I remember thinking, "I didn't get surgery so I'd have to follow the Atkins diet"!

While it is true that you need to eat Protein first, I didn't make a conscious effort to eliminate carbs. I followed a balanced diet of fruit, vegetables, Protein, and maybe a bite or two at the most of something with starch like potato or rice. The thing is, you just don't have the room, so you can't eat that stuff anymore. You won't want to. Those first 4 bites of chicken are going to pack your sleeve with so little room left over, that may be all you have. What you have to watch out for is the snacking of the empty calories and bad carbs, like chips, popcorn, Cookies, cakes etc. Seems like there's plenty of room for that stuff when you eat it! That is the danger zone. You have to change your lifestyle of eating to be healthy, but you can still eat healthy carbs and lose.