Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Weeks Out & Stretched my pouch already!!

I am only 7 weeks out and can eat heaps more food already!! Today I went to a BBQ and ate a small steak a spoon of potato salad and a spoon of crunchy noodle salad (still a 1/4 of the serve I once would have eaten easily)... but prior to the BBQ lunch there were chips & dips served and I ate a handful of that rubbish too!!

I am so worried because I don't feel I have the restriction others describe. I can eat 3/4 of a 6 inch subway... is that too much?? I think my surgeon is worried too, that perhaps in my case too much of the stretchy part of the stomach was left behind because he asked me to keep my Xrays of my barium swallow safe because we will need to refer to them in the future!! :( I also had a very easy recovery from this surgery and have been able to eat anything from approx 5 weeks out.

At the moment I am still losing weight (slowly) probably averaging 1-2 pounds a week. Does this sound like I am likely to regain my weight again?? If I have already stretched my pouch is it too late now? Is there any way to get restriction back??

:(

That does seem like a lot to be able to eat at this point -- but just because you CAN, sure doesn't mean you SHOULD. You can still make what you have work by not eating to capacity (that's what got us all here in the first place, right? ;) ). Measure your food, and shoot for no more than 4 oz. meals (by volume -- what would fit inside a 1/2 cup measuring cup), and leave the carbs alone, and I bet you'll see a very big difference in what you lose. :)

That does seem like a lot to be able to eat at this point -- but just because you CAN, sure doesn't mean you SHOULD. You can still make what you have work by not eating to capacity (that's what got us all here in the first place, right? ;) ). Measure your food, and shoot for no more than 4 oz. meals (by volume -- what would fit inside a 1/2 cup measuring cup), and leave the carbs alone, and I bet you'll see a very big difference in what you lose. :)

I'll just quote Stacy. You can't really stretch your stomach (we do not have pouches), but your swelling might be down much quicker than others. If you are tracking your calories/protein/carbs, and are staying in your guidelines then you should be fine, but it sounds like you're taking in a lot of carbs. If you're content with losing 1-2lbs per week then you can keep doing what you are doing, and it will more than likely slow down more because your body will burn all of those carbs/sugar over the fat stores. The salads, chips/junk food are just empty (not nutrient dense) and high calorie foods that just slide right on down. Use this time to really focus on changing habits, and maximize your weight loss.

If your surgeon left more fundus behind then you will have more capacity and less restriction than others. There really isn't anything you can do in those cases other than be diligent with what you put in your mouth. The stomach left behind is what you are left with, and the restriction you have is what you'll have to rely on, but making the best choice on what goes in your body will give you the best and most effective results long term.

Everyone is so completely different. I was eating normal food a lot quicker than most people who post on here, and my recovery was quick and never really uncomfortable. I feel like I can eat a lot more than what I read on here as well. But....I continue to lose and feel good so it is not something I am worried about. I've lost 62 since my Dec. 14 consult and Jan. 13 surgery. It seems slow compared to others posting, but I am so please with the lose.

My surgeon, who is also someone I know personally, insists that I eat when it's time to eat, that I don't measure, and that I don't count any numbers. He wants me eating Protein first, followed with a bit of veggies, and a tiny amount of carbs are okay. When I eat I can tell when it is time to stop...but only if I eat slowly. The amount of food I end up eating at one sitting depends on what I am eating.

There are lots of times I feel like I am able to eat way too much food, but then have to stop and compare it to what I was able to eat before surgery.

I also see losing what some would consider slowly as a good thing. It is giving me time to adjust as I go.

Good luck!

Just wondering how long you take to eat. I was supposed to take no longer than 20 minutes and then stop. I had to eat slowly too. Had I taken longer I probably could have eaten more. If you take an hour to eat for example thst is probably too long. Also very good advice from Stacy and Tiffykins. At over 10 months out my weight loss is slowing down. Take good advantage of those first 6-8 months out.

Remember that this surgery is just a TOOL!! You are losing slowing due to the choices and portions you are eating. If you follow the plan and stick no NO CARBS...you will be full longer and have more energy. Maybe you should seek out a weekly support group to help you through this. Try to stay away from breads, especially rolls from Subway. They offer you no nutrition. Good Luck..no one said this would be easy!

Thanks everybody, I have taken 'on board' a little bit of everybodies advice:

I have reduced my portions back to approx 1/2 cup, I have cut down the carbs to only high-fibre Cereal in the morning, and started counting calories (not just protein). I have also increased my fluids because I was rarely reaching 4 cups of Water / day let alone 8!! I can see the scales moving already!

And you are right this isn't going to happen itself, I have to make it happen! and I plan on taking full advantage of the first 6 month- 8 month losing period!!! I am actually considering going on fluids again for a week or so to kick-start the weight-loss again.. I lost 10kg / 22 lbs on the 3wk liquid diet Pre-op, and so far 9kg / 19.8 lbs in the 8 weeks since surgery.. and I still have 21kg / 46.2 lbs to lose to reach a BMI of 25... nearly halfway there!! Thank-you for your advice and for setting me on the right track again :) xxx

I can't believe your eating bread. I'm almost 2 months out of sleeve surgery and my surgeon wont allow any bread, chips, or crackers. The reason is the bread fills you up and you wont be able to get your Protein in. Also you shouldn't be eating anything over 4 ounces in a meal sitting. It should be taking you about a hour to eat your meal. I can also eat mine faster if I wanted to but the thing is you have to pace yourself. You are in control. You have to teach yourself new eating habits that will make your weight loss successful. The slower you eat and the more you chew your food the fuller you feel. Just because you can eat normal and fast doesn't mean you should. You could make yourself really sick doing that. The surgeon should have gave you guidelines to follow for each week. The first 2 weeks out of my surgery I was on liquids only, the next 2 weeks I was on mashed or mushy foods. Then the 2 weeks after that I was allowed moist meats. Each meal was to be no more than 4 ounces. You should be measuring everything you eat. I can tell you aren't because I'm pretty sure you're not stuffing your Sub into a measuring cup. :) I was in the hospital with a lady that ate food she wasn't suppose to and it caused some problem with her and she had been in the hospital for 4 months because of it. She scared the crap out of me. I didn't want to be that person. If you're going to be successful with your weight loss and lifestyle change you MUST follow the measuring and food guidelines set by your surgeon. If you find you can't then you may have a food addiction or what they call "head hunger". It is when your head is telling you that you are hungry and you see all the "no no " foods and want them really bad, however your actual stomach isn't hungry. You can pop the staples in your stomach so I urge you to be careful and discuss with your doctor everything you're doing, your hunger level, and how you're feeling. Go to a food addiction counselor if you have to. I went a few times pre and post surgery to help with my head hunger and it made a huge difference. I wish you the best!

I read your post about going back on liquids to "kick start" the diet again. You shouldn't do that. I had a stall in my weight loss and I had that same thought of just going back to liquids but I discussed it with my doctor first and he told me absolutely NO! He said that when you are past the whole shake stage and get into solid foods you need them. Eating food will make you lose more weight then the shakes. It's hard to believe but it's true. The thing is eating the correct foods like turkey, fish, sirloin all 90 % fat free and steamed veggies, yogurts, cottage cheese. I went to see my surgeon yesterday and he was fussing at me because I still do the shakes time to time and Soups. He told me I needed to get off the liquids and eat food. If you want to make a change do it with your activity level, but stick with your solid foods. It sounds like you're making the right choices measuring now. Good luck!

Everyone is so completely different. I was eating normal food a lot quicker than most people who post on here, and my recovery was quick and never really uncomfortable. I feel like I can eat a lot more than what I read on here as well. But....I continue to lose and feel good so it is not something I am worried about. I've lost 62 since my Dec. 14 consult and Jan. 13 surgery. It seems slow compared to others posting, but I am so please with the lose.

My surgeon, who is also someone I know personally, insists that I eat when it's time to eat, that I don't measure, and that I don't count any numbers. He wants me eating Protein first, followed with a bit of veggies, and a tiny amount of carbs are okay. When I eat I can tell when it is time to stop...but only if I eat slowly. The amount of food I end up eating at one sitting depends on what I am eating.

There are lots of times I feel like I am able to eat way too much food, but then have to stop and compare it to what I was able to eat before surgery.

I also see losing what some would consider slowly as a good thing. It is giving me time to adjust as I go.

Good luck!

Wow, isnt it amazing how we all want 'instant" weight loss! I was sleeved just 1 day apart from you, January 12th and I have not yet hit my 50 lb loss ... and you have lost 62 !!! You are doing great!!!

I had a much longer recovery back to eating from you by the sounds of it, but I'd just echo what everyone else has said. Don't eat it just because you can.

Believe me, I'm the last person I thought would ever be saying something like this, but the day you get sleeved has to be the day you change your eating habits in every way. And this is coming from a former 375lb crazed binge eater who used to eat at least 6,000 calories a day and thought she could never, ever change her behaviours. I used to be sceptical that the sleeve would work for me and was blase when people said the sleeve is a tool that you have to work for, not the other way round. But it's the truest thing about this whole journey.

Think of everything you went through to get your sleeve - emotionally and physically. You don't want to go back to old ways. There's no point in just eating the old stuff but just less of it. It'll get you in the long run. I know it sucks sometimes, but just don't even put it on your plate. I really now believe you get out what you put in.

What I've found works for me is being pretty rigid and on point with my nutrition during the week - I eat a vegetarian, mainly vegan diet and keep my Protein in the 70s and carbs in the 30s/40s every day. I'm strict on Vitamins and Fiber goals too. Then if I want to eat maybe a little slice of baguette on the weekend when hanging with friends or have a bite of chocolate or a cookie, I do and I don't panic and feel guilty for it because I know that earlier in the day I hit my nutritional goals and the rest is plain sailing. There are times when I've thought I could push it and eat a lot more slider foods or carbs than I had, but I just forced myself to stop and walk away.

You're doing so well. Keep on going and test your limits in other ways!

I read your post about going back on liquids to "kick start" the diet again. You shouldn't do that. I had a stall in my weight loss and I had that same thought of just going back to liquids but I discussed it with my doctor first and he told me absolutely NO! He said that when you are past the whole shake stage and get into solid foods you need them. Eating food will make you lose more weight then the shakes. It's hard to believe but it's true. The thing is eating the correct foods like turkey, fish, sirloin all 90 % fat free and steamed veggies, yogurts, cottage cheese. I went to see my surgeon yesterday and he was fussing at me because I still do the shakes time to time and Soups. He told me I needed to get off the liquids and eat food. If you want to make a change do it with your activity level, but stick with your solid foods. It sounds like you're making the right choices measuring now. Good luck!

Thank you for your input. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong.

N&I Mel, I just want to give you kudos for listening to words of the wise and learning from it!! Sometimes it is not easy to put yourself out there and admit our short comings, but this is certainly the place to do it.

Tiffykins always has great advice and I agree with what her and others about making your paticular "situation" work. You may still be able to eat more than others, but you are willing to change and take control and I applaud you for that! And no matter what, your stomach is still a whole lot smaller with your sleeve, you may just have to put a little more effort, but you will succeed!!

Keep up the good work!

Listen to your body and eat what your body wants - not your mind. If you're really hungry and you can eat most of that subway sandwich, then accept that. But you shouldn't be able to do that for every meal. I have a really hard time listening to my hunger. I find there are some things I HAVE to do in order to hear the cues. I have to portion out my food before hand (I try and stick to an amount that can fit in a 1 cup serving - I can always grab more if I am still hungry, which is rare, but has happened). I only put one serving on a plate in front of me and the rest is in the kitchen or bag. I also focus on eating really slow, which is HARD. It's an active effort and I try and put my fork down between every bite. And once 30 minutes is over, I stop. I don't ever eat longer than 30 minutes. I find those few tricks help me honor my hunger. By the end of the day, I aim for between 800-900 calories with about 30% from fat, 30% from carbs and 30% from Protein (but within a range of 60-80 grams) . I log EVERYTHING into my Lose It App on my iPod. So far, I've been losing between 2-5 pounds a week doing that. Hope that helps!