Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you scared to have weight loss surgery

Hi Everyone,

Are you scared about having WLS? I was too, and I am willing to bet that 99% of all of on this site were too.

We have talked ourselves in and out of going ahead and taking that big step at least 75 to 100 times. We have been convinced that there is something weak or wrong about having weight loss surgery and that is really all wrong—it take a lot of courage to have weight loss surgery.

For so many of us we have a disease and just like any other disease we need some form of treatment. If you needed surgery for something you wouldn’t think twice about going to the hospital and having that surgery because if you didn’t you could die.

Well the same this will happen from be fat, we are going to die faster from being fat than we are from weight loss surgery. I know it is scary and the unknown is what scares us the most.

Never give up on your dreams of losing this weight and being able to keep it off. It will require WORK and EFFORT on your part to be successful—it does not just melt off of you. You will be given the tool (WLS) to achieve this. You are on the right track if you are thinking about it.

I did it 2.5 years ago and lost 105 pounds and have kept it off. I am here to help you, answer any questions you might have about WLS—I had the sleeve. You are WORTH the effort it will take. It can happen and your only regret you will have is that you didn’t do it sooner.

Hugs,

Having those exact feelings. I appreciated your posting!

Thank you Suzanne!

<3

Thank you Suzanne

<3

Hi, Awww you are so very welcome. I remember just how I felt. I was on the plane asking myself what am I doing? Am I crazy. Once I arrive, everything was so much better for me. You can do this and I am always out here for you.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Having those exact feelings. I appreciated your posting!

Hi,

Just remember you have made the right choice. I am always here if you need anything and you can always reach me at Suzannesh@aol.com. I read my E-mails 3 or 4 times a day. I know it is scary and it is really normal to have a bag full of emotions and feelings. It make you just like the rest of us.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Hi

I am 63 and made the decision to get sleeved next month through private pay.

Yes, I am scared but I know it will help me be a healthier person.

What scares me is the unknown. Will I ever be able to enjoy a night out eating with my husband or friends. Will I lose hair ? What will my skin hang?

If you can help I would be grateful.

I am 65 and had the surgery on 2/5/13. The pain after surgery was managable. After care is important. I had pain meds and nausea meds during surgery. I have not had nuasea or vomiting and seem to be able to tollerate most foods--haven't gone wild with trying new things. It did take over three weeks for the pain of surgery to deminish. The weight is coming off slowly-- only 32 pds down but considering the low side effects I have experienced I will take it. I was concerned about my recovery after reading some of the posts of younger people. Don't let a few years discourage you from surgery. Sent 3/21/13.

I got my date today-APRIL 17.

Now more nerves kick in especially that today my husband told me he would not do it.

Asked my doctor about hair loss-yes most people lose some.

Asked about sagging skin-yes

Asked about hunger-yes while on liquids

Asked about pain-yes but managable

So I hope that those of you have already been through this will help to ease my mind.

Having friends with experience know best.

Hey,

These are all normal fears. Yes, you will be able to go out and have dinner and have a great time with your husband. You will be make better food choices and eating a whole lot less, but you will not feel deprived at all.

Not everyone will lose their hair. I lost some hair and my hair was already thin. I got a cute wig, until my hair came back. He is the great part, I now have a natural curl in my hair that I never had before, and I love it! And it is a bit thicker now, so it wasn't all bad.

I can't say I have sagging skin. Not everyone does.

I had very little pain, and they managed it with pain medication. Take some Gas-X with you because some of the pain is caused by the pain of the gas that they put in your area so that can do the surgery. You will NOT really experience real hunger. Your biggest problem will be "head hunger" Our brains really go to a lot of effort to try to make us think we are hungry--you are NOT. You will swear up and down that you are, but honestly you are NOT. You can only hold about as much of food as the size of your thumb because of the swelling of your stomach. So the liquid fill you up. You will miss chewing because you are on the liquids for 10 days or how ever long your doctor wants you one them. The 1st month is the hardest month you will EVER have to do. I am always here if you are having a problem or need to talk. You can send me a private E-mail: Suzannesh@aol.com

Hugs, and congratulations to you!

Hi

I am 63 and made the decision to get sleeved next month through private pay.

Yes, I am scared but I know it will help me be a healthier person.

What scares me is the unknown. Will I ever be able to enjoy a night out eating with my husband or friends. Will I lose hair ? What will my skin hang?

If you can help I would be grateful.

I had my sleeve surgery April 17, 2012 and have lost 80 lbs. I will be 65 on April 13th. This has been an incredible journey and I'm so glad I did it. Time flies by so quickly it's hard to believe it has been almost one year since my surgery. I followed the advise of my surgeon and NUT and didnt ave any complications or issues. I'm still losing weight although it is much slower weight loss. My hair did get thinner but is beginning to get thicker now. Push your self to make sure you get your Protein and calcium....and Water water and water. In the beginning and still now, I take a stool softener pill and Fiber pill daily which just helps make you feel more comfortable daily.

I am sixty three and having VS surgery on APRIL 4th. I'm still having trouble with feeling nauseated after my Protein Drinks and have to have Jello or cream of wheat after drinking one. I need any advice please. Starting to freak out a little.

Hi,

This is all great advice. I was 63 when I had my WLS. I think it was the best thing I have ever done for myself!

Hugs, and thanks for sharing

Suzanne

I had my sleeve surgery April 17, 2012 and have lost 80 lbs. I will be 65 on April 13th. This has been an incredible journey and I'm so glad I did it. Time flies by so quickly it's hard to believe it has been almost one year since my surgery. I followed the advise of my surgeon and NUT and didnt ave any complications or issues. I'm still losing weight although it is much slower weight loss. My hair did get thinner but is beginning to get thicker now. Push your self to make sure you get your Protein and Calcium....and Water Water and water. In the beginning and still now, I take a stool softener pill and Fiber pill daily which just helps make you feel more comfortable daily.

I am sixty three and having VS surgery on APRIL 4th. I'm still having trouble with feeling nauseated after my Protein drinks and have to have Jello or cream of wheat after drinking one. I need any advice please. Starting to freak out a little.

Hi,

It might be the Protein Drink that you are drinking. What are us using for a Protein Drink? I have used Premier Protein Drink, and you can buy it at costco and Sams Club. I had the surgery over 4 1/2 years ago, and I still drink this for my Breakfast every morning. You might want to try another kind of Protein Drink. Sometimes an All Natural fruit Popsicle without any sugar would help settle my stomach after I had surgery and it felt upset. You can always send me a private E-mail to Suzannesh@aol.com.

Let me know how you are doing.

I used Atkins Protein Drinks. chocolate delight. I am still able to drink it. Word of warning. Don't stock up on anything .your taste and tolerance will change and you'll find yourself stuck with a pantry full of shakes, protein powder ,etc. I am 61 yrs old had my surgery on 3/4 and as of today lost 30 lbs. it is definitely a journey , but very much worth taking.

I used Atkins Protein drinks. chocolate delight. I am still able to drink it. Word of warning. Don't stock up on anything .your taste and tolerance will change and you'll find yourself stuck with a pantry full of shakes,protein powder ,etc. I am 61 yrs old had my surgery on 3/4 and as of today lost 30 lbs. it is definitely a journey , but very much worth taking.

Hi,

I became a big label reader when I started this journey. Check and see how many Carbs are in the Atkins Protein Drinks and how many grams of sugar they have. I know how hard it is to find a Protein drink that you like. I agree 100% don't buy a lot of anything, because your tastes do change. I wish you great success in your weight loss journey.

Hugs,

Suzanne