Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bikini/two piece

Ok, so my thoughts are turning to holiday season. We are saving every penny to try and get a family holiday in the sun - looking at Crete (where we met and love) or Rhodes... hot and sunny!!

Erm, so I was wondering... Am I small enough to wear a two peice/bikini/tankini??

When did you feel confident enough to shed the one piece?

I don't think I'll ever be okay with a true 2 piece. I have several tankinis and I do love them. I'm not to have my tummy exposed, not really because of the skin, but because of my extensive scarring.

I have too much loose skin & 5 little scars from the surgery to feel comfortable wearing a bikini. Plus, I'm in my 40's and I'm ok with binkini days being "past due".

I do love my tankini though. I feel small & sexy in it. Sometimes it's better to cover up & leave things to the imagination - at least in my opinion. (My husband agrees! :rolleyes: )

congrats hon! it must feel so good to even be considering the bikini. wow....cant wait to be in your shoes...even if i opt for the one piece i would be thrilled to even be thinking about it...YOU GO GIRL!!!!

congrats hon! it must feel so good to even be considering the bikini. wow....cant wait to be in your shoes...even if i opt for the one piece i would be thrilled to even be thinking about it...YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Hey Kerry,

I hadn't even thought of it like that,.. and in that case it must be a NSV for me...lol!!

I was just browsing on the net looking at different options when it dawned on me that all my holiday gear is going to be way to big and that includes my swim wear.

I think I might try on a tankini and see how it feels.

Thanks ladies for your input! I was gonna ask my hubby, but unfortunately he normally says what 'he thinks' I want to hear when it comes to clothes... and it is usually the wrong thing ...lol... for example, I put a tee shirt on and I suspected it was still a little tight, especailly around the tummy area, when I asked him he said 'No love, it is just a bit short...!!' WHAT is he like. Luckily I found this amusing!!

If my stomach wasn't a road map telling the story of 3 weight loss related surgerieS, I would wear a bikini...but I will settle for a cute tankini and NON TOUCHING THIGHS!! LOL ;)

I wore a bikini at 175 lbs when I was at a lake with a bunch of new classmates I had just met and I felt pretty confident. It's really not something that is determined by your size and weight. Some people are super-fit but somehow just lack the confidence to rock a 2-piece (or a one-piece without a cover-up even!), whereas others might be quite overweight but not care too much. My mother is obese, probably at a BMI of 36 or so, and she wears 2-pieces - she actually looks better in them than in a one-piece. Sometimes when people go out of their way too much to "hide" their body issues, it just attracts attention to it. Just don't wear something with tiny strings that will cause rolls of fat and skin to spill over, and you'll be fine!!! Pick a slightly more "modest" style with good chest support and moderate-rise bottoms and it will look fine.

http://forum.purseblog.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1179047&stc=1&d=1281710164

http://www.flowerdazeskatewear.com/Sewing/Ruffle%20Bikini/Ruffle%20bikini%20front.jpg

my stomach is too flabby and gross and my legs, sigh, they're melting (in the wicked witch's voice) -- seriously, they look like they're melting (not a pretty sight) -- so, I have a tankini -- and that's fine by me -- I got a decent (read inexpensive one) from Old Navy because I know that I'm still losing and what's the point of buying something I won't wear very long? :) Coops, I say if you can wear a bikini, go for it! :D

hey girls....

thanks for the comments, and yea I can really see your point Blackberryjuice. I have often looked at the more 'crvy' ladies that oooooze confidence and wish I could be like them!

OK... so the tankini seems like a good idea, which bottoms/pants style would you go for? The short style or the knicker stlye... I am thinking a fairly tidy size on the width - thigh to waist - and a medium leg?????

I am working on the confidence to just DO IT!! *insert NIKE tick...lol*

I wear an tankini top and shorts. I don't think I"ll ever wear a bikini or want to really, seems like a lot of work BUT I've seen all kinds of bodies rock them. You don't have to be perfect to wear a bikini, try a few on and see what you like!

I take to heart the style advice that tells you not to wear anything that cuts you horizontally along your widest part. So while I have heavy thighs and a bit of inner thigh flab and am always very intrigued by bikinis with shorts, I go for the knicker-style. I found that yes, rather than "hide" my inner thigh flab, the shorts just accentuate how big my thighs are - and make my already somewhat short legs appear shorter and thus, thicker. So if you are pear-shaped like me, I'd start with the regular bikini bottoms, but if you are more apple-shaped, shorts might look better!

Agree with Blackberry -- I'm pear-shaped and wear bikini bottoms because my legs are heavy -- shorts/knickers just make 'em look bigger (sigh). I'm trying to get to a place where I can accept the flab/melting skin -- ohhhhmmmmmm! (keep repeating) :lol: But seriously -- I'd go with bikini bottoms . . .

hey girls....

thanks for the comments, and yea I can really see your point Blackberryjuice. I have often looked at the more 'crvy' ladies that oooooze confidence and wish I could be like them!

OK... so the tankini seems like a good idea, which bottoms/pants style would you go for? The short style or the knicker stlye... I am thinking a fairly tidy size on the width - thigh to waist - and a medium leg?????

I am working on the confidence to just DO IT!! *insert NIKE tick...lol*

I wear the bikini bottoms with the tankini top. My legs are super slim and I am apple-shaped even at a size 2, so the tankini is covers my tummy, it's tapered at the top and then I appear to look a little more hourglassy which is my main goal. I'm thicker through my middle so hiding that part is my priority.

I can say with certainty that "when hell freezes over" is when I will wear a bikini!! I wouldn't subject anyone to that sight! :lol:

I was just talking to my friend about swim suits yesterday and I don't know yet but I'm going to do this year! I usually wear Tankini's because they are comfortable and I wear the ones with a skirt bottom but I don't think I will need that this year!! We are going to go suite shopping in a few weeks so we'll see how comfortable I feel and in what!