Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie, Sleeved on 4/13. When can I smoke?

They told me to stay away from caffeine, for ever! I am going to call the Doctor now, but when I asked the doc's assistant she was like NEVER smoke again, and would not budge from there, I need to konw about coffee though.. LOL How many ounces do you drink per cup?

They are small coffees, probably like four ounces (quite strong tho), but that's just a personal preference. I wouldn't hesitate to have another cup, but I wouldn't drink much more than that (personally) because I can't tolerate that much caffeine. Plus, my NUTs say that three small (or one large) coffees are where you cross the line into the diuretic effect, so you have to drink more Water to account for that. When it's just smaller amounts, it doesn't have a net negative diuretic effect.

I started to smoke second day after the surgery, back in 2008.

I remember I met my doctor on hospital corridors and he told me to quit because now is the time. I laugh and I didn`t listen him.

Now I quit since 2 March this year and I gain some weight.

So you can smoke right away, I did it, is not healthy but if you are desperate, as I were, might help...

I really hope you can stay without cigs :)

ps: i drink coffees since 2008, daily, like 500 ml- 1L per day + redbull + Burn

I am still alive...

It is your choose if you want to do it correctly or you want to be like me. I haven`t respected any rule so far and I still lost 60 kgs

Smoking greatly increases the risks of ulcers and blood clots - especially right after surgery. Do it at you own peril. If you absolutely must....I would say wait at least until you reach goal weight.

This is a perfect example of transfer addiction. food is out of your life - so you are literally begging for permission to grab onto another old vice that is still around. Sorry to be so judgmental but you should have worked on these issues prior to getting cut open. It's not going to be any easier now.

You say you have incredible willpower? You're going to need it. Good luck.

Hello there,

This site is awesome, I was 485 when I started my pre-op diet. Was 451 the day of surgery 4/13 and I am 419 today. Doing good, I have not thrown up once, I can drink way more than 4oz of fluids an hour. I have by mistake 2 times ate more than 4oz of food, very slowly though. here is my question and please not looking to be bashed,

When can I smoke? I am not talking ci's I am talking about Mary Jane, do not want to do it daily, but do want to know when I can have few hits off a joint. Please let me know what you guys think , and any personal expereince with smoking anything after surgery. Thank you.

LOL I think it is funny that this came up [again]. Someone else started a thread like this and wow did people go crazy.

First, there are a lot of misconceptions about weed. People assume you will munch like crazy. If you smoked, you know how your body will react - no two people are the same. Some cancer patients try smoking weed to help them eat more but find it doesn't work for them. Some people just don't get that baked or munchy feeling as portrayed in the movies.

If you are a muncher when you smoke, why not stock up on healthy goodies that will be ok for your sleeve!?!? (Think meat and cheese roll up, SF Jell-o and pudding etc)

OK OK back to what you originally asked... when? when? when? IDK. Who would have that answer? No one I would guess. But there are people on this board that went right back to smoking cigs post op (I won't mention names LOL...). You are still pretty much newly sleeved. My humble opinion, I would wait 2 or 3 months. Smoking earlier the smoke may agitate the site of the surgery and slow healing but not stop it or cause infection.

You must be a strong person to ask this question knowing you would get beat up for asking.

Smoking greatly increases the risks of ulcers and blood clots - especially right after surgery. Do it at you own peril. If you absolutely must....I would say wait at least until you reach goal weight.

This is a perfect example of transfer addiction. food is out of your life - so you are literally begging for permission to grab onto another old vice that is still around. Sorry to be so judgmental but you should have worked on these issues prior to getting cut open. It's not going to be any easier now.

You say you have incredible willpower? You're going to need it. Good luck.

Thank you for the information. And no need to apoligize about anything, You are right in what you say, and I (as dumb as it sounds) did not know I was not suposse to smoke after surgery. I didnt ask and I figured I would be fine,

I am going to google what exactly happens when you smoke(inhale) that causes ulcers. I dont get it ifs with the lungs or chemicals in the "smoke" .

I am doing good, have not had any issues with any food I am in purree stage but have been chewing food down to liquid, I cannot eat blended food,

"HarvestFarm" turkey burgers are BANGING, I ate about 35% of one it was great! no cheese, no ketchup nothing just the burger and it was nice and juicy...

LOL I think it is funny that this came up [again]. Someone else started a thread like this and wow did people go crazy.

First, there are a lot of misconceptions about weed. People assume you will munch like crazy. If you smoked, you know how your body will react - no two people are the same. Some cancer patients try smoking weed to help them eat more but find it doesn't work for them. Some people just don't get that baked or munchy feeling as portrayed in the movies.

If you are a muncher when you smoke, why not stock up on healthy goodies that will be ok for your sleeve!?!? (Think meat and cheese roll up, SF Jell-o and pudding etc)

OK OK back to what you originally asked... when? when? when? IDK. Who would have that answer? No one I would guess. But there are people on this board that went right back to smoking cigs post op (I won't mention names LOL...). You are still pretty much newly sleeved. My humble opinion, I would wait 2 or 3 months. Smoking earlier the smoke may agitate the site of the surgery and slow healing but not stop it or cause infection.

You must be a strong person to ask this question knowing you would get beat up for asking.

Thank you for the great response. Thank you for the great information as well. I am different than most and always have rushed things along. I got out of the hospital the day after surgery, I was progressed to stage 2 in 8 days, I am eating the stage 2 foods but not purred. I cant do it, I just chew it and chew it,,,,,

QUESTION: Do any of you chew food up, then (SORRY IF I AM BEING NASTY) spit it out/dispose of it? I caught my self doing that yesterday and stopped myself like: Finish what your eating...." while my mind and taste buds where like "spit that out and take a fresh bite." LOL

back to my response... There is no way i am waiting 2 or 3 months, I have indulged and everything went fine, no munchies, no pains, felt guilty that was that, i may do it once in a while on the weekends.

I am a tremendously strong person and I call it how i see it, so I love the power of forums because people WILL tell you EXACTLY how it is. PLUS I am from New York City, born and raised in Brooklyn at that. So I know and respect truth in its rawest form...

Thank you for the information. And no need to apoligize about anything, You are right in what you say, and I (as dumb as it sounds) did not know I was not suposse to smoke after surgery. I didnt ask and I figured I would be fine,

I am going to google what exactly happens when you smoke(inhale) that causes ulcers. I dont get it ifs with the lungs or chemicals in the "smoke" .

I am doing good, have not had any issues with any food I am in purree stage but have been chewing food down to liquid, I cannot eat blended food,

"HarvestFarm" turkey burgers are BANGING, I ate about 35% of one it was great! no cheese, no ketchup nothing just the burger and it was nice and juicy...

Glad to see your post and that you are doing well. Here is the skinny on smoking after surgery (and in general). Smoking can cause a major increase in H Pylori bacteria which are one of the biggest (if not #1) cause of stomach ulcers. Smoking also seems to have an effect on stomach acid....either making you produce more or reducing your ability to balance it out.

Smoking affects blod clots because it increases the coagulation of your blood (basically makes the platelets more sticky). It also can damage the lining of your blood vessels which can lead to clots.

So there ya go. Again - its up to you to take this information and decide what is best for you. Good luck!

Glad to see your post and that you are doing well. Here is the skinny on smoking after surgery (and in general). Smoking can cause a major increase in H Pylori bacteria which are one of the biggest (if not #1) cause of stomach ulcers. Smoking also seems to have an effect on stomach acid....either making you produce more or reducing your ability to balance it out.

Smoking affects blod clots because it increases the coagulation of your blood (basically makes the platelets more sticky). It also can damage the lining of your blood vessels which can lead to clots.

So there ya go. Again - its up to you to take this information and decide what is best for you. Good luck!

I know smoking cigarettes/tobacco causes all that stuff, but does MJ smoking also have those effects? I've not heard that before.

I'm not certain on the clotting part....but the ulcer thing is an issue no matter what you are inhaling. It's generally a much bigger problem with RNY patients than sleeve - but still a "concern".

I would be more concerned about it affecting my head hunger (munchies) personally.

I would be more concerned about it affecting my head hunger (munchies) personally.

I would too, but I haven't smoked MJ in many years so who knows what effect it would have on me now. :blink:

My biggest worry would be the coughing... of course, if you smoke MJ pretty regularly, then maybe you don't get the heavy, hacking cough. I would worry that hard, heavy coughing could cause stitches to split, a hernia, or just be damn painful. But I'm not a doctor, so that's just my opinion.

As for the munchies, I never had them & actually always felt far more in control of my eating that I would when completely sober. I think it is definitely something that varies by person

Good luck & when you do restart smoking, maybe you could post how it went? I'm guessing others would appreciate the info without risking the criticism that goes along with posting the question themselves.

My biggest worry would be the coughing... of course, if you smoke MJ pretty regularly, then maybe you don't get the heavy, hacking cough. I would worry that hard, heavy coughing could cause stitches to split, a hernia, or just be damn painful. But I'm not a doctor, so that's just my opinion.

As for the munchies, I never had them & actually always felt far more in control of my eating that I would when completely sober. I think it is definitely something that varies by person

Good luck & when you do restart smoking, maybe you could post how it went? I'm guessing others would appreciate the info without risking the criticism that goes along with posting the question themselves.